Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sherato Lincoln Harbor Hotel pre 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sherato Lincoln Harbor Hotel pre 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2002, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sherato Lincoln Harbor Hotel pre 2007 [Master Thread]

Thinking of staying at the sheraton suites on the hudson. has anyone taken the ferry to manhattan from outside the hotel? how long a trip is it? what about the cab ride into manhattan? should i just stay in the city instead?

thanks
Old Jul 8, 2002, 10:36 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
It's a 10 minute ferry ride. $5 each way. Drops you off at 38th and 12th, where you can catch free busses to midtown, downtown, etc. If you return late at night, you have to go to the other ferry station (1 mi north of the Sheraton, and call for the free shuttle.)
Old Jul 9, 2002, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The weekday ferry is right outside the door of the hotel. It leaves every 15 min, and takes 5 or 6 min across. costs $5 each way, A 10 pack saves a few $. The trip includes a bus ride. the busses leave within 5 min of the ferry arrival.

This is their site.

http://www.nywaterway.com/

I do the NY gift show, and stay in NJ. After the show, I eat in Manhattan, and then catch the nearest return bus (you flag them down) then take the ferry back to NJ.

The easiest way to get to the hotel is to train to Penn Sta, and catch the ferry bus on 34th street.

Weehawken is very quiet. Ruth Chris, Chart House, and the Hotel in house are the only restaurants.

The free breakfast is unbelievably bad. The bread products are not too bad, and decent coffee is available across the street.

The hotel frequently sells out mon-thurs, so book early.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA *G
Sheraton Suites on the Hudson [Master Thread]

How is Gold Recognition/Treatment/Upgrades?
How is accessabillity to Manhattan?
How far are what parts of Manhattan?
(Midtown Central/Others)
How's service? How's cleanliness? And all that junk your worried about when you pikc a hotel.
$149, is that decent?
The dates, it's one of the cheapest hotels in NY-Area that shows up.
Plus *Wood (Y)
Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:48 pm
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
Forget what the others have told you. I worked out of hotels in NYC for two years and found the Sheraton Suites THE PERFECT place for working in the City. It's cheap, by Manhattan standards, a suite (about 4x the regular room at the W) and just a short ferry ride to Manhattan. Service is a bit lame, but that is my only complain.

Right in front of the hotel is the Weehawken Ferry, takes you to the 38th Street Pier, and then a free bus to your major city cross-streets. Taxis are available at the pier as well.

As a bonus, there is a great Ruth's Chris Steak place within walking distance of the hotel.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:27 pm

I have stayed here and I agree; rooms are nice. As gold I received waterfront view, high floor. Ferry schedule was convenient, breathtaking views of Manhattan. May be perfect for those flying in from EWR and still want to be close to NYC. And what a bargain!
Old Nov 9, 2003, 10:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

It all comes down to what you want to do.. and when you want to do it. True, you have a relatively inexpensive ferry service with mandatory connecting bus.. but it's another thing to just step outside from your Manhattan hotel and get a cab to wherever.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 7:13 am
Suspended

like everything else, it's a tradeoff! i'm sure you'll get more room at this property than the W NY, for instance! but, it won't be as conveninent! but, if you can handle a 20-30 minute commute instead of being in the middle of it all, and you value space, it could be worth it!

(i feel like elaine benes after a fight with jake jarmel!!!!)

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 11-10-2003).]
Old Nov 10, 2003, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Round trip ferry is $10. Get a schedule if you're going to stay in Manhattan late; otherwise you'll have a problem getting back (by ferry).
They do provide a free bus service to various points from the NY terminal as stated above. Frequent service during rush hours.

This hotel doesn't provide what I would call larger suites (compared with Pomona CA. which is more 'traditional' looking ).

If you're more than 1 person in the room, a stay in Manhattan may ultimately be cheaper!
Old Nov 15, 2003, 6:28 pm

Programs: NW PLT, AA Base, Virgin Silver, Marriott PLT, Starwood PLT
I put a friend up there with points and cash and i called ahead and got a nice suite. It was nice with a cool view. I had called ahead and gotten the best suite in the house..Top flooer corner executive suite but someone on duty gave it away.. The concierge apologized profusely and threw in points, the regular elite amenities, Champagne and chocolates to make up for it.

As far as getting into the city, it was slightly inconvenient but bearable.. considering it was last minute.

Plan ahead and keep conscious of schedules and you should be ok.

Another upside.. the Chart House is walking distance from the hotel and the Mahi Mahi and Chocolate Avalanche are to die for

------------------
All we should be afraid of is the sky falling on our heads!
Old Nov 16, 2003, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems most of the people who dislike the SS are the ones who have not stayed there.

I have spent about 40 days there. The ferry runs every 15 min, on the quarter hour, one way, and on the 7 1/2 min on return. The ferry busses are one of the best parts of the deal. They are free, and frequent, and go most places one would want to go. They are available at all running times, and in all weather. Ever try to get a cab at 8:30am?

I would stay in Manhatten after workday, go eat, and catch a bus back to the SS.

Free car park.

I am Plat, and got UG's to monster suites.

No club room, Breakfast room service dishes sit in the hall til following morning. The free breakfast is weak. The in hotel restaurant is week. The Only 2 restaurants in the area are featureless.RC & CH. Decent dining is available in Manhattan, or in Hoboken.

The place is plenty clean, and by now, the High speed internet should be working.

It sells out during Javits trade shows.

The deli diagonally across the street has good coffee, and decent sandwiches for lunch(to go if necessary)

The weekend ferry requires a van shuttle.

The place is very quiet. Some brokerage firm, and LH rent a lot of the rooms. For tranees and FA's.

Old May 5, 2004, 7:08 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm staying at this property for the first time, so I'll give an updated review.

Checked in on Monday night. 2 clerks behind the desk, 4 people in line. One of the SPG line, but most of the folks in front of me seemed to be gold (one plat). Clerk asked me for my amenity (points please!), and said I was on the club level (woo hoo!). Breakfast is included for everyone, so he gave me some vouchers and I was off.

Got to my room on the 9th floor (out of 10) in the west wing. Sign indicated that it was a club level. I was unfortunately on the side of the hotel facing away from the river/manhattan; odd-numbered rooms face NJ, even numbered face NYC. Room was good sized, although oddly laid out (lots of empty space). Desk w/ high speed ($9.95/day), TV, couch, chair, and 2 bottles of water in the living area, and the bedroom area had a bed and armoire w/ TV. No door between the living and sleeping areas. Good sized bath. Room included a fax machine/printer as well as a mini-fridge and tiny microwave. In the morning, the WSJ was delivered along with the USA Today.

I went up to the "executive lounge", and almost laughed. It was a single room about the size of a normal guest room at the Sheraton NY (where I typically stay). There was a couch, tv, and some refreshments (water, coke, and cookies at night; juice and bagels in the morning). I only saw two women in there, and they were smoking while watching TV.

Breakfast is a hot, buffet style, offering. Scrambled eggs, bacon, french toast, and potatoes. Cereal, toast/bagels, and fruit cocktail were also offered. They have served the same thing both days, so I'm guessing it doesn't change.

I switched rooms to a river-view room on the second day. Room was smaller; the "map" on the back of the door didn't indicate this, but it seems like the river-view rooms are smaller than the NJ view rooms. Room wasn't club level, so no fax or bottled water. Same layout, with couch, chair, bed, etc. No door between living and sleeping quarters. No WSJ in the morning, either.

I don't have a car, but free parking outside.

Overall, it's a satisfactory hotel, but nothing special. Seems to be full of big tour groups (3-4 buses in the parking lot, lots of kids at breakfast) but they seem to be in main part of the hotel, not the west wing.
Old May 5, 2004, 8:26 am
Commander Catcop

This Sheraton Suites was a Ramada Suites a few years ago. Have not stayed there yet but the hotel underwent some renovations over a year ago.

You can buy Ferry tickets at the front desk. Be farwarned though... double check when the last ferry leaves for Weehawken. If you miss the last boat you only other option is to take the PATH train to Hoboken and hop a cab to the Sheraton (about 7-10 dollars.)

Too bad there is not another Starwood Property in Jersey City waterfront. There we have a Hyatt, Doubletree Suites and Courtyard by Marriott. Transportation there is better and faster (Path Train.)
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:46 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Thumbs down Sheraton Suites on the Hudson - Weehawken - The Truth

Just got back from a trip to the East Coast and a three-night stay at this property that incensed me enough to clarify some of the posts that have been floating around about it.

(1): The hotel's definition of a "suite" is loosely construed. My room was about 12' x 20' and had a king size bed with about 18 inches of space to the TV cabinet, a pull-out couch and a (may I say) useless kitchenette (the nearest food store is in Jersey City).

(2): The ferry is "right out side your door," but only on weekdays. On weekends, you have to go a mile north to take the ferry.

(3): The ferry is expensive - there is no discount allowed for children and you can only buy your tickets from the hotel. The hotel purchases 10-ride ticket packs and then tacks on a hefty $1.80 "service charge" for each ticket (and I thought Ticketmaster was a rip-off). You can buy a regularly priced return, though.

(4): The free breakfast - they should pay you for even considering eating this slop. My kids - who eat anything - couldn't even stomach this food. They have generic cereal (I received a dissertation on the difference between what they served and real "Lucky Charms"); watered down juice and eggs (yes watered down eggs - with some sort of filler), a nasty pile of bacon; and Wonder bread (no bagels, etc.). They have some fruit that looks like it fell off the truck on the way to Queens.

(5): No roll-aways - ended up giving my kids the King bed and putting a blanket down the middle as a divider.

(6): Parking lot is unrestricted - on Saturday night they let anyone park in the lot (there are a number of bars and restaurants nearby). As such, it was impossible to find a parknig space in the lot on Saturday.

(7): Abyssmally slow service at check-in and check-out - make sure you reserve a half-hour or so.

(8): Mis-billing: Ended up getting my credit card charged for the award stay (billing back to *wood program office). Lucky I went through a detailed review of my credit card bill or I would never have caught this. Took me several days to get it resolved, but they were nice about it.

I've stayed in all of the NYC hotels and I'm kicking myself that I didn't hold onto my original thought of getting two rooms at one of the midtown properties. However, even the Weehawken Suites couldn't dampen our trip (although that 12" of rain certainly tried to.)

Bottom line - if you're a single business traveler (who doesn't eat breakfast) this hotel could be for you. If you've got your family - pick another location.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 2:01 pm

AMEN ! - and a great review.

For some of us trying to make PLAT in the last few weeks of December this hotel is the only sub $200 a night room. I will also say that the views of the city are amazing.

I expect that the new W on that side of the river will force the owner to clean up the property ... we might have to wait until 2006 to see them renovate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.