Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hotel Los Angeles pre 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:39 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by diving4gold
I stayed at this hotel last July with my sister and absolutely hated it. I thought the staff were rude beyond belief. The room I stayed in had a broken shower, when I complained to the front desk I was told the hotel was sold out so nothing could be done about it. We ended up checking out after one night and went to the Park Hyatt which was so much nicer. The staff there were absolutely superb & the room was wonderful.
Sorry to hear about your stay.
A bit odd they didn't find some kind of reasonable solution in house.
Seems like a Starwood corporate services issue to me.
It should have gone beyond the front desk if it was not resolved.
I had a great stay here last time at the W but the rates have been a bit steep at times.Every day is another show no stays are always exactly alike.
I have had some fantastic hotel stays while I see somebody fuming out the corner of my eye at a front desk.........

The Park Hyatt is one of my favorite hotels in the city as was the former St Regis.
It is also one of the better Park Hyatts in the world.
It used to be the best value in the city for the dollar in a luxury hotel.
I certainly can't fault you on your rebound choice.
The Park Hyatt has a very high retention of exceptional staff.
That is their key besides a very well maintained product something that many hotels and brands are struggling with.
Now that the St Regis is closed and out of the way they have been having a field day with raising the rates a mere 50 or 60 %
It has me shopping again for a another choice and cutting back my frequency with them.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Mar 13, 2005 at 8:42 pm
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:15 am

Location: ATL home; work in NYC, CLT, JAX, BNA, AUS, ORF and BTR
Programs: Delta Platinum and CRC, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Platinum/Presidents Circle, HHonors Diamond
W Westwood (Los Angeles)

I am staying at the W Westwood this coming Friday - Monday.

From what I have read in various sources, the hotel bar is a happening place on the weekends. Anyone have any experience here?

As Platinum, what type of room should I expect to be upgraded? I have booked an "Urban non-smoking suite, 1 bedroom, living area, W signature work area, contemporary two room suite 600 sq ft with plantation shutters".
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CentexAviator

From what I have read in various sources, the hotel bar is a happening place on the weekends. Anyone have any experience here?

As Platinum, what type of room should I expect to be upgraded? I have booked an "Urban non-smoking suite, 1 bedroom, living area, W signature work area, contemporary two room suite 600 sq ft with plantation shutters".
The bar is definitely a happening place on the weekends. Pretty young crowd. (20- to early 30-somethings mostly.) Like many W's, the bar spills into the living room/lobby, so you get a good sense of it just coming in the front door and going to the elevator. The hotel entry is stunning, by the way. Be sure to see it at night.

If you had booked a standard room, depending upon occupancy level you likely would have been upgraded to the room you booked, which is a great room. I had a room matching that description on a stay there a few months ago and it was outstanding. I wouldn't expect an upgrade beyond the suite you booked. I think you'll be very happy with it, though.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
If one books a paid stay in suite as a PLT member, would it be possible to anticipate an upgrade above/beyond the suite booked, if available?

FWIW, I always travel on the notion to book a category under what I'm hoping for. If a complimentary upgrade doesn't seem like it will pan out while checking in, I can still spring for the better room I really want using cash/points once checking in. Provided of course that it's not sold out.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:51 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
My understanding of the Plat upgrade ToC is that a Plat may be upgraded to "Select Standard Suites," from any room class. I don't think this means that a Plat, who booked a standard suite would then be put in the penthouse suite or something of the like. If you books the run of the house room, you could be put in a standard suite, or if you booked the standard suite you would still be in the standard suite.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Im visiting the W for a short trip June 23-24 (Thursday night) as a Gold do I have any chance at a meaningful upgrade?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:23 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Officially, if you book a suite that is considered to be "select standard" by the property, then they are not obligated to upgrade you beyond it to a better suite. I've heard that some do regardless, and we applaud their generosity when this happens.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:28 pm

As Platinum, what type of room should I expect to be upgraded?
IIRC this is an all suites property. I have stayed there twice and on one occasion (a Sun night) was upgraded to a CyberSuite (again IIRC). The upgraded room had great views and featured a living room, study and bedroom.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA PremExec, SPG Plat, CO Gold, HH Gold
I LOVE this Hotel! I love bypassing all those little people waiting on line to get into the bar because I am a hotel guest The Urban Room is a suite with 2 (TWO) Living Rooms. Why? I don't know. I think this is the best room type.

Last edited by WashingtonFlyer; Jun 14, 2005 at 7:17 pm
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:41 pm

Location: ATL home; work in NYC, CLT, JAX, BNA, AUS, ORF and BTR
Programs: Delta Platinum and CRC, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Platinum/Presidents Circle, HHonors Diamond
TO follow up: I had a great time here... the service was outstanding, from the valets to the housekeepers.

I would definitely recommend this W to anyone looking for something out of the ordinary.

If you are a Hertz fan, see my posting there regarding the H2 I rented on this trip.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, STWD PLAT
Great Hotel

TO follow up: I had a great time here... the service was outstanding, from the valets to the housekeepers.

I would definitely recommend this W to anyone looking for something out of the ordinary.

If you are a Hertz fan, see my posting there regarding the H2 I rented on this trip.
• I have stayed at this hotel multiple times and love it. I have been upgraded to a larger suite every time I have stayed at the hotel and service is their number on priority. I have also met multiple celebrities and even had a few drinks w/ them at the bar. My only complaint is that the workout room faces a meeting area in the middle of the hotel so if there is an event going on, everyone is watching you jog. Not a big deal though.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador

At arrival, ask for a Cybersuite. Period. They may hem and haw a little, but they will give it to you if you are a little persistent, seem knowledgeable, and its available. The difference between an urban suite and Cyber-suite is like night and day. Regular sized bedroom, plus den, plus huge living room and double sized bathroom.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP

Just stayed here 6.17-6.19 Brandon the really sweet check in agent put me on the Penhouse Floor in Penthouse 10, i.e. urban suite. My res was under the wired rate plan for an urban suite. He was orgninaly going to put me on the 4th floor, but i politely asked for a higher room and mentioned I'm a Gold.

I loved my room... I always go for the urban suites or higher and this room was just as cool as any other urban suite. the plantation shutters arent anything to write home about, but a nice touch though...

The hotel staff is fabulous - the concierge is a bit "canned" in that they just point you to some promotional magazine. I loved my "Sirus Suite", I like XM better but any satilite radio works for me. They messed up and chrged me for internet access and phone calls, but quickly took car of that.

Also offered me really late check out - I had an 11:30PM flight back... Already had plans to kill time so I declined and just left at 4pm.

The pool is fabulous, Sweat is nice, and away has some good people there...

I hate how busy these W Hotels are getting... W San Diego and now this one... have like huge promoted party type things in the lobby ... very disrupting for the guests...

Over all 8.5/10

-Vincent
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I'm staying here over 4th of July weekend and am looking forward to it! I'll have to ask for a Cyber-suite.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Stupid quesiton time: Is this in the location of the old Westwood Marquis hotel? I remember staying there when I was 16 on a family vacation. It was a really nice hotel, but I had assumed that it had fallen into eventual disrepair.

But if it's now a W, I may have to splurge the next time I'm in LA and check it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.