Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Soap, Now no Newspaper?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
Originally Posted by squatch
i suspect that with the popularity of electronic news media, fewer and fewer people people (especially business travelers) have any desire to get an actual newspaper.
What is price of internet broadband access?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
They should just ask you if you wanted the newspaper upon check in. It's reasonable to do so. It really is a waste since a lot of people just leave the newspaper hanging on the door knob.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
What's next? No tp?

I get home delivery of the newspaper to my door at home. I suspect that many people do not read the paper, evidence the number that collect at the elevators. I have seen people leave their room towing a suitcase and step over their paper. I saw one guy recently just kicking his copy to the door across the hall.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Most hotels pay little to nothing for newspapers. USA Today has had an ongoing program for years that helps them boost readership to help advertising dollars.

And, environment or not, I want a newspaper outside my door. Happy to specify so when I check in.

And there better be two bars of soap.

Uh. no. Hotels pay USA today per copy that they order. Although it is a discounted price, it's still between $0.25 and $0.40 per copy per day. So if you can cut your daily delivery by 25 copies that otherwise are wasted, the hotel saves $5-7/day or $100-$150 per month. And lest you think "That's only 1 room per month" it's the little costs that add up and can make a difference in the hotel's bottom line.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Dendrite
What is price of internet broadband access?
sorry, i guess it depends on the power of negotiation. some companies have a deal with starwood that has the net access included in the room rate...

i still don't want a newspaper, though
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
I have associates that work both at hotels that do not pay for USA Today, as well as associates who work for USA Today. Both confirm my statements.

That doesn't mean that *some* hotels might pay for papers. No fundamental knowledge of what that number might be. But I know plenty of hotels that don't.

So, unless you have documented proof that every hotel in the US pays for USA Today's (which would be easy to refute), why don't we agree that we may both be right here?

Especially since, if you read back to my post, you'll see I said "pay little to nothing for....". One could make a compelling argument that paying 25% of the face price constitutes a pretty steep discount.

Originally Posted by MMB568
Uh. no. Hotels pay USA today per copy that they order. Although it is a discounted price, it's still between $0.25 and $0.40 per copy per day. So if you can cut your daily delivery by 25 copies that otherwise are wasted, the hotel saves $5-7/day or $100-$150 per month. And lest you think "That's only 1 room per month" it's the little costs that add up and can make a difference in the hotel's bottom line.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG
OK- you may be right also. Whichever hotels your associates work at seem to have gotten a really good deal.

I've worked with and seen USA Today invoices from hotels in the following chains: Starwood, Marriott, Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, Days Inn. For all of those chains there were separate negotiated deals with USA Today which resulted in differing prices for the hotel. The prices usually depended on quantity of copies ordered per day, and varied depending on the deal each chain cut.

Not one however resulted in no-cost delivery of the paper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.