Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Are "Resort Fees" legal? (A discussion about Starwood's use of 'Resort Fees')

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are "Resort Fees" legal? (A discussion about Starwood's use of 'Resort Fees')

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally Posted by Guava
... Maybe we should compile a blacklist of SPG hotels and make it clear to everyone here that these properties are to be avoided - that may get some people's attention.
That would be a great idea. It would make it easier to scan which hotels to avoid when planning a vacation or at least I would know ahead of time and could make an informed decision. Save me the time and hassel of calling the hotel, being put on hold forever, shuttled from the front desk to the concierge to the operator to the administrative office and then accidently hung up on, just to be given wrong information that there is no resort fee.

If I go into a stay knowing that there is a resort fee then at least I know what I am getting myself into.

Onedog
Old May 29, 2009, 3:21 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt. RewardsNetwork dining.
Maybe we could start a website that has the list (other hotels too, not just SPG), plus links to related news stories and "How You Can Help" like write your Congressman, Consumer Reports advice, contact the Class Action Suit, etc.

That would be doing some good in this world.
Old May 29, 2009, 1:01 pm

Ok, I set up a site

Seems easy enough, that's why Wiki sites are so great. I set up a page and added the St Regis to the site (I am also holding a reservation there and went through the recent process of uncovering the fee and what was included with it). Please add others that you all know about, anyone can edit this Wiki.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Starwood_Ho...Fee_Properties
Old May 30, 2009, 6:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Totoro
If anyone has found a way to avoid resort fees, please share!
May I share with you what I did in the past>

Either> Refuse to pay (i.e. sign the bill and write "don't agree with resort fees")
or> Have the charge back department from my credit card to charge it back
or> Involve the BBB (www.bbb.org)

Always worked out @:-)
Old May 30, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by wahoo99
Seems easy enough, that's why Wiki sites are so great. I set up a page and added the St Regis to the site (I am also holding a reservation there and went through the recent process of uncovering the fee and what was included with it). Please add others that you all know about, anyone can edit this Wiki.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Starwood_Ho...Fee_Properties
Hmmm.... all the text seems to have been removed from the page.
Old May 30, 2009, 6:06 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by zombietraveller; May 30, 2009 at 6:30 pm
Old May 30, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by phish1209
I take the position that the "resort fees" are my gratuities while i am at the property, i explain to everyone i encounter that I would tip but I already paid the resort fee. It bothers the sh*t out of them and I am sure i get worse service out of it, but it helps me swallow these fees.
I like it.

Recent freebie stay at Parker Palm Springs. They fought like hell to get me to cough up $25+ daily resort fees. Had to back peddle and have SPG send original confirmation stating "resort fee included in rate."

Worse, the envelope is constantly pushed upwards. Worser....the resort fees are being added to mostly very (to me) high rates.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt. RewardsNetwork dining.
Originally Posted by nissan motor
May I share with you what I did in the past>
Either> Refuse to pay (i.e. sign the bill and write "don't agree with resort fees")
or> Have the charge back department from my credit card to charge it back
or> Involve the BBB (www.bbb.org)
Always worked out @:-)
Could you give more details?
>Do you write on the bill and stick it in the express box, or write it and point this out Checkout? If you say so in person, don't they argue with you, go fetch a manager?
>You call the your credit card company and "dispute the charges" but what if the hotel did say ahead of time (at Checkin) that there was a "Resort fee" -- then doesn't the CC company say 'We can't charge this back, it's valid'
>Ha! involving the BBB is great. Action like that is how we (as U.S. consumers) can eventually get this changed. But how exactly do you do so -- write a letter to the hotel and threaten them... or what exactly?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
To me, this entire concept should be illegal. It's completely designed to deceive the customer - there really is no other purpose to it whatsoever.

It's exactly like fuel surcharges by the airlines. Nobody buys a plane ticket expecting that the aircraft has no fuel and cannot move.

I have been to a couple properties in the past 2-3 years that have what I would consider ethical resort fees. At check-in, you get a card explaining the fee and what you get with it. If the guest elects not to pay it, he/she can purchase the individual services on a one-off basis. Stuff like snorkel gear, kayak rentals, gym access (if your status doesn't already include it), etc. To me, that's perfectly acceptable: the fee was optional and the items included were things you would reasonably expect to pay for at any hotel.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:50 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Some resort fee includes free parking, free internet, free local calls.....
I am sure many people never use those during the stay.

Personnaly, I do not like the charge.
I want to pay whatever I use.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BonnieSEA
Could you give more details?
>Do you write on the bill and stick it in the express box, or write it and point this out Checkout? If you say so in person, don't they argue with you, go fetch a manager?
- I usually write next to my signature for the invoice something like "don't agree with the resort fee"
- Yes, sometimes there are (hefty) discussions with some management staff and often they just waive the fee (e.g. in the Planet Hollywood).
- My advice: Explain in a friendly way that you don't see any reason why you should pay the so-called resort fee. If this does not help, you may want to be loud and blunt

>You call the your credit card company and "dispute the charges" but what if the hotel did say ahead of time (at Checkin) that there was a "Resort fee" -- then doesn't the CC company say 'We can't charge this back, it's valid'
- I always fill-out the charge back form. My argumentation is often "I did not agree on this fee, plese refer to the hotel invoice" or "Unethical and/or illegal business practice" etc.

>Ha! involving the BBB is great. Action like that is how we (as U.S. consumers) can eventually get this changed. But how exactly do you do so -- write a letter to the hotel and threaten them... or what exactly?
- Yes. First email and/or call to the hotel. Explaining that I did not agree on that when I signed the form. Threat them to involve the BBB. Eventually fill-out the online form on the BBB website

In almost every case I was successful
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tak

Personnaly, I do not like the charge.
I want to pay whatever I use.
I've seen those packages too...even at places that haven't been deemed as a "resort" by their respective owners. As long as the package is optional, I have no problem with it. If it's mandatory, it should be illegal to add it on outside of the base room rate. (Of course, the hotel can charge whatever it can get for its room rates....)
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Tak
You mean like the Westin Casuarina in LV, where half the items on the "fee" list are freebies for Plats anyway and others are seasonal, such as the pool? Odd, the fee doesn't drop in the winter when the pool is closed.

Of course, it's no longer a "resort fee" here. Just a service fee.

Mike
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by User Name
Hmmm.... all the text seems to have been removed from the page.
I wonder if some of the properties in question are deleting the truth? <cough> Westin Casaurina <cough>
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:36 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
The Westin Dawn Beach in St. Maarten also charges you $25 which is ridiculous. I recently paid $175 for a 7 night award stay there.

Owned by the same people as the Westin Casaurina.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.