Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii Starwood Properties pre 2007 [General Discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii Starwood Properties pre 2007 [General Discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:02 am
diazhill

Moana Surfrider or Sheraton Waikiki?

I have reservations at both the Moana Surfrider and the Sheraton Waikiki at the end of October - and I am looking for advise on which is the better choice. (I have the same room rate at both)

I am holding an Ocean View (Historic Banyan Wing) at the Moana, and a Partial Ocean View at the Sheraton - being SPG Gold, I am hoping for an upgrade where ever I end up staying.

I know both properties have undergone renovations - I believe the Moana is finished, but the Sheraton's will continue until 2007.

I have read some pretty nasty reviews of the Sheraton - slow elevators, non-renovated rooms are awful, hotel too busy & crowded etc.

Anyone stayed at both properties? I'd appreciate any and all opinions. THANKS!

Last edited by diazhill; Feb 13, 2006 at 6:10 am

Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:33 am
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
Originally Posted by diazhill
Anyone stayed at both properties? I'd appreciate any and all opinions. THANKS!
I have stayed at both as a Plat and liked both very much. The Surfrider oceanview was far more intimate than the Partial View at the Waikiki. In fact intimate is the real difference, in my experience, with these two properties. The Waikiki is a typical mega-resort, the Surfrider is a bit of a throw-back.

Ocean View Room view from the Surfrider: here

Partial View Room view from the Waikiki: here

Given a choice, I would take the Surfrider OV to a Waikiki POV.

Last edited by JMR; Feb 13, 2006 at 8:39 am
Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:52 am
kid

Definitely the Moana Surfrider.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA (1k) lifetime gold, AA (EP), Starwood (Life Plat), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by JMR
I have stayed at both as a Plat and liked both very much. The Surfrider oceanview was far more intimate than the Partial View at the Waikiki. In fact intimate is the real difference, in my experience, with these two properties. The Waikiki is a typical mega-resort, the Surfrider is a bit of a throw-back.

Ocean View Room view from the Surfrider: here

Partial View Room view from the Waikiki: here

Given a choice, I would take the Surfrider OV to a Waikiki POV.

Just there at Christmas, surfrider for sure.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Lifetime Gold, (Fond memories of) SPG Lifetime Plat
Have stayed at both. No contest. Waikiki is a big bland chain hotel, the Surfrider has much more character. Had a good upgrade to a nice suite both times at Surfrider.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:07 pm

We stayed at both the Moana and Royal Hawaiian in October.

The Moana was nice but we LOVED LOVED LOVED the Royal Hawaiian!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kid
Definitely the Moana Surfrider.
Agree. No question whatsoever. Not even close.

Trust us on this.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
I'm going to buck the trend here and say if you can buy an upgrade on points or confirm an upgrade due to status then the Sheraton Waikiki is the place to be. I booked an ocean room view on points and was given an amazing upgrade to a suite. The suites are spectacular and the view is postcard perfect. I was just there in October, here is a link to the review I did on tripadvisor including lots of pictures:

Sheraton Waikiki picture review

Good luck!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:19 pm

I disagree!!
I was at the moana and got a fabbo ocean suite and then the waikiki and paid for and GOT the manor wing it was only after paying for a higher room that i got a dumpy tiny noisy ocean view which i hated and was woken at all times of the day by people day and night -and u know what I mean.
also people screaming around the daybreak hours on the beach as the half moon type building becomes a bit of an ampitheatre. i HATE that WAIKIKI

Last edited by tinkybelle; Feb 15, 2006 at 12:22 am
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:51 pm

Stayed last May at the Sheraton Waikiki. The room was dead center Ocean View, but the Hotel was lacking. I would stay at the Moana. Seemed like a nicer hotel. I thought the beach at The Sheraton was lacking.

Ken in Phx
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:48 am
diazhill

Thanks Everyone!

Based on your input, I'll be staying at the Moana Surfrider!.. Any suggested upgrade strategies for a lowly SPG Gold like me?

Old Feb 14, 2006, 6:35 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum;HH Diamond; PC Platinum; Marriott Platinum
I have been there on award stays twice as Platinum and got upgraded to ocean view and given lounge access. This property can be very busy at times, especially on week-ends when they tend to have a lot of wedding parties. This property also gets a lot of aisian traffic who tend to pay for the available suites.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JLL5100
I have been there on award stays twice as Platinum and got upgraded to ocean view and given lounge access. This property can be very busy at times, especially on week-ends when they tend to have a lot of wedding parties. This property also gets a lot of aisian traffic who tend to pay for the available suites.
JLL5100, which property are you referring to?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:27 pm

Is the Royal Hawaiian not an option? I am such a HUGE fan of that property. There is nothing better than room service break fast at the Royal Hawaiian! Oddly enough we found there room service reasonable after room service at the Hapuna Prince on the Big Island.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
JLL5100, which property are you referring to?
Sounds more like the Moana to me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.