Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Crediting points to airline mileage (direct deposit)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crediting points to airline mileage (direct deposit)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:05 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by davidwu
As I understand now, you get SPG points first and then it's converted to miles.

In my case, I had changed the earning option (using http://guest.starwoodhotels.com/moremiles/login.jsp) before Tuesday's stay. The SPG ponints were posted yesterday. When do I expect the conversion to US miles happen then?
It can take up to two weeks for a domestic airline transfer.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks a lot, William.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
It can take up to two weeks for a domestic airline transfer.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by BrianUA800
Unlike other hotel chains, I could not figure out how to customize my preference so that hotel point are credited to an airline FFP.
Could someone shed some light?
Thank you
Here is a link that allows you to manage direct deposit on-line. No-one at SPG seems to know about this - I had also been told that all changes had to be made by phone. This let me start direct deposit and change airline, though I don't know if I can cancel direct deposit using this.

https://www.spgpromos.com/moremiles/...MoreMiles_enUS
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Here is a link that allows you to manage direct deposit on-line. No-one at SPG seems to know about this - I had also been told that all changes had to be made by phone. This let me start direct deposit and change airline, though I don't know if I can cancel direct deposit using this.

That link indicates Starpoints to Continental would transfer at a 1:1 ratio. Does that mean that SPG's Airline Direct Deposit transfers Starpoints to Continental at a more favorable rate than does a transfer of miles from an account which does not have Airline Direct Deposit which is at a ratio of 2:1? Or is the link to the Airline Direct Deposit not correct?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat & IC Amb
For Continental, United, and a few others
Direct Deposit = 1:1
Points to Miles Conversion = 2:1

Originally Posted by controller1
That link indicates Starpoints to Continental would transfer at a 1:1 ratio. Does that mean that SPG's Airline Direct Deposit transfers Starpoints to Continental at a more favorable rate than does a transfer of miles from an account which does not have Airline Direct Deposit which is at a ratio of 2:1? Or is the link to the Airline Direct Deposit not correct?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kimusc
For Continental, United, and a few others
Direct Deposit = 1:1
Points to Miles Conversion = 2:1
United is shown as 2:1 for both points to miles and direct deposit.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plat & IC Amb
Originally Posted by controller1
United is shown as 2:1 for both points to miles and direct deposit.
My last direct deposit to UA was last week and I can confirm that it's 1:1.

From T&C on that page.

3. Base members of the Starwood Preferred Guest program will earn 2 Starpoints for every eligible US$1 spent and elite members will earn 3 Starpoints for every eligible US$1 spent. All Starpoints will convert to miles at a 1:1 ratio unless otherwise noted as an exception. The exceptions are as follows:
. i. Air New Zealand Airpoints: All members earn a flat 20 Airpoints per stay for hotels outside of Australia and New Zealand. All members earn a flat 40 Airpoints per stay for hotels within Australia and New Zealand.
. ii. El Al Israel: All members earn a flat 12 El Al points per stay.
. iii. Iberia Plus: All members earn 1 mile for every 10 Starpoints earned.
. iv. Air China: All members earn 1.6 miles for every 1 Starpoint earned.
. v. LAN Airlines: All members earn 1.6 miles for every 1 Starpoint earned.
. vi. Singapore Airlines: All members earn 1 mile for every 2 Starpoints earned.
. vii. Southwest Airlines: All members earn 0.5 Rapid Rewards credits per stay.
The other link on that page does provide incorrect info based on my experience.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kimusc
The other link on that page does provide incorrect info based on my experience.
The link in post #48 provides the correct info as well.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
I purchased a flight on SPG Flights for 25,000 spg points. Continental wanted 25,000 onepass miles to book the flight. I earn SPG points WAY faster than miles so SPG Flights was a WAY better deal.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:29 am

Let me see if I understand this correctly: in the case of incidental charges during an ineligible stay (e.g., an award stay), the points I would receive would transfer to my airline of choice, correct?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:23 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by honu
Let me see if I understand this correctly: in the case of incidental charges during an ineligible stay (e.g., an award stay), the points I would receive would transfer to my airline of choice, correct?
That is my understanding. Anything posted by the hotel directly automatically transfers over.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PC Platinum

and you could even get more value if you choose an airline with flat rates: elal (12 matmid points), southwest ( 600 points), new zealand (40 points) or M&M (minimum 500 miles per stay is guaranteed each time). YMMV

Last edited by dmdflyer; Apr 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by dmdflyer
and you could even get more value if you choose an airline with flat rates: elal (12 matmid points), southwest ( 600 points), new zealand (40 points) or M&M (minimum 500 miles per stay is guaranteed each time). YMMV
Are you sure that I would receive 600 WN points for an ineligible (say, award) SPG stay with some room charges (usually b'fast or other restaurant/bar expenses)?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PC Platinum
Are you sure that I would receive 600 WN points for an ineligible (say, award) SPG stay with some room charges (usually b'fast or other restaurant/bar expenses)?
Not sure yet with WN as I had no experience with SPG-WN direct deposit. But I would expect to get the flat rate which is 600 WN points, with any transfer initiated from SPG to WN, regardless of how many SPG points were credited for the room charges.

With most other airlines, it is just 1:1 , but the process is the same. You get miles for award stays based on your room charges.

I guess that you will see the actual charges in your SPG account, your Southwest DD / number of Starpoints deducted, and a few weeks later your 600 points in your WN account.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Oops. Interpreted the Airline Direct Deposit page wrong and wrote something inaccurate.

Deleted.

Last edited by satori; Aug 4, 2011 at 9:45 am Reason: inaccurate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.