Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Booking Prepaid/NonRef GBP Rate Timing and FX Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

Trying to figure out how to get the best deal for a late February stay in London. With the 40% off for 4 nights (C4E) promo there are some very good deals out there like Park Lane for £107/night.

Unfortunately the C4E 40% off rate plan is prepaid, non-changeable and non-cancellable. Rate plan says that full deposit will be made at time of booking but I'm not sure that this really happens in practice.

Have any U.S. based SPG customers booked overseas hotels using advance prepaid rates like this? Can you advise when the deposit is really posted to the credit card and in what currency? Seems to me that with a Starwood Central Res office here in North America actually initiating the charge as opposed to the hotel over in London there's a chance they will charge in USD as opposed to GBP.

I know in the past I have booked supposedly "prepaid" rates that weren't; still had to settle up directly with the hotel at time of checkout...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Herb687
Have any U.S. based SPG customers booked overseas hotels using advance prepaid rates like this? Can you advise when the deposit is really posted to the credit card and in what currency? Seems to me that with a Starwood Central Res office here in North America actually initiating the charge as opposed to the hotel over in London there's a chance they will charge in USD as opposed to GBP.
Prepaid rate reservation in London is charged in GBP and converted into USD on your credit card immediately, the day you make your reservation.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC*P, SPG
It will be the hotel themselves that take the deposit off your credit card.

While Central Reservations may make the reservation, it is the hotel's responsibility to collect prepayment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.