Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

(Property claims:) SPG to WDW Dolphin: You must discontinue free breakfast for plats!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Property claims:) SPG to WDW Dolphin: You must discontinue free breakfast for plats!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
SPG to WDW Dolphin: You must discontinue free breakfast for plats!

Got to the WDW Dolphin for NYE. Been here before at least twice, last time february 2008.

Last two times I received free breakfast coupons for the whole family and an ice-cream coupon for the little one.

This time I was also traveling with my wife parents. I was counting on receiving the breakfast coupons. Breakfast for 5 people for 8 days means 40 breakfasts ($300 at least?).

When checking-in I remembered the receptionist not to forget the breakfast coupons. -We don't provide those anymore. -Ouch.

She went back to see if she could get something, but came back with hands empty. I politely asked to talk directly to her supervisor, who came immediately and explained the situation:

After we closed the lounge, we started giving free breakfast coupons to Platinum guests in an effort to lower the impact of the decision.

However, SPG has recently asked us to stop giving this benefit. They said that no hotel in the chain gives free breakfast if they don't have a lounge and as a chain we have to follow the same rules. No lounge, no free breakfast benefit for Plats.
I was then offered a $XX credit/room for the next morning breakfast to give us time to go to the nearest Publix (as we checked in late)

The quote about "SPG has recently asked us to stop..." are the exact words used by the front-desk manager.

I've been in about 20 SPG properties. Most with lounge. I recall only one without lounge that gave breakfast coupons for free breakfast as a Plat benefit and another one without lounge that did not give anything. But I understand its not a chain rule.

However; If what I was told is the whole truth then I'm not comfortable at all (I'm thinking about other "stop givings" that could arise). I would have been more comfortable hearing that the hotel just decided to stop this "extra" benefit.

What do you think?

Last edited by leandrorar; Jan 4, 2009 at 1:26 am Reason: Removed the $ credit and checkin time to avoid pointing an exact worker
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:20 am

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Not that this impacts the breakfast coupon question, but, as a SPG Plat staying at the Dolphin, you're entitled to use the club lounge across the lagoon at the Swan. You might want to consider using this option at your next visit. (My understanding is that this lounge is still open.)
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:22 am

Programs: QF Platinum, NZ *G, Le Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
This is crazy if it really is the case.......... I can't imagine it is though?!?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
Still here, writing from the room. Just called service express and confirmed that there are no lounges at all (dolphin or swan), that they closed years ago.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
* There have certainly been other hotels without a lounge that offer free breakfast to Plats, I haven't confirmed this recently but it was my experience for instance at the Sheraton Pattaya.

* I could imagine a chain-wide concern that if this was perceived as a plat benefit at one property it could build expectations that other hotels do it as well. So the six sigma folks might not like it.

* But I haven't ever seen SPG clamp down on additional benefits that a hotel might offer above and beyond the T&C of the program, this would be a surprise indeed if accurate.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:34 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Based on some other threads in this forum, it sounds like SPG sent the hotels a list of ways to reduce their costs should they want to do so. And now it seems that the staff at some of those hotels think (or want us to think) that those "options" are mandates.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Based on some other threads in this forum, it sounds like SPG sent the hotels a list of ways to reduce their costs should they want to do so.
Not the easiest thing to search on. Care to give a link?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Not the easiest thing to search on. Care to give a link?
Search or otherwise, I read pretty much every post on this board and I have yet to see anything remotely related or for that matter experience anything of the sort at any property.

mike
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by leandrorar
What do you think?
I think you were told a big, fat lie:

They said that no hotel in the chain gives free breakfast if they don't have a lounge and as a chain we have to follow the same rules.

The Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall has NO lounge but it also gives Plats a free full buffet hot breakfast. So there.

Last edited by DCBob; Jan 4, 2009 at 7:10 am
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCBob

They said that no hotel in the chain gives free breakfast if they don't have a lounge and as a chain we have to follow the same rules.

The Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall has NO lounge but it also gives Plats a free full buffet hot breakfast. So there.
Exactly, I booked a friend ( under my name of course) at the Sheraton Suites, TPA yesterday and was given breakfast certs.. no lounge in this hotel.

mike
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: UA-1K, CO-Elite, SPG-Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DCBob

Same thing w/the Suites in Columbus, Ohio. I stay there monthly and always get coupons for every day of my stay and they have no lounge.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
As mentioned earlier, they stopped this benefit earlier last year.

Sounds like you were lied to with regards to the reason for this. The hotel can of course choose not to offer this to Plats as they have no lounge. However lying about it is really bad form.

We stayed at the Dolphin for 12 nights in December and everything was fine, except for the front desk staff. Awful check-in where we were lied to or mis-informed on a couple of questions we had. The lady checking us in couldn't have made us less welcome if she had tried and had a face on her like she had won the lottery and lost her ticket. Then on subsequent visits to the front desk for a couple of questions during our stay, the staff (with one notable exception) were equally disinterested and dismissive. All other staff at the hotel were great, so it is a shame that the first impression is such a bad one.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Search or otherwise, I read pretty much every post on this board and I have yet to see anything remotely related or for that matter experience anything of the sort at any property.

mike
Apparently you missed this post. The Bonaventure is one of the most Plat-friendly hotels in the chain, and the GM is a straight shooter so I'm guessing there's at least some truth to the free breakfast Swan song.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Based on some other threads in this forum, it sounds like SPG sent the hotels a list of ways to reduce their costs should they want to do so. And now it seems that the staff at some of those hotels think (or want us to think) that those "options" are mandates.
This type of mandate is exactly what I was concerned about following the 4P Manhattan Chelsea's elimination of their bonus points for Plats!

Boo, Starwood! Boo, Westin Corporate!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:06 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Its possible I am mixing up my forums. There was a similar disussion in the Marriott forum recently. I'll look around both forums and see if I can find what I thought I had read. Sorry for any confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.