Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

A Starwood hotel doesn't accept SPG AMEX (subsequently resolved)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

I just tried to book a Starwood hotel in Catania Sicily for May '09 and the pull down menu would not allow me to choose my Starwood AE card for payment. I then called the Platinum Concierge and they told me this is indeed true, Starwood cards are not honored, but I was able to use another hotel (Mxxxxxx) Card. Uncle Bill will laugh all the way to the bank if he hears that Starwood Properties take his card and not there own.

How can this occur?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
I just tried to book a Starwood hotel in Catania Sicily for May '09 and the pull down menu would not allow me to choose my Starwood AE card for payment. I then called the Platinum Concierge and they told me this is indeed true, Starwood cards are not honored, but I was able to use another hotel (Mxxxxxx) Card. Uncle Bill will laugh all the way to the bank if he hears that Starwood Properties take his card and not there own.

How can this occur?
What did the Platinum Concierge say when you had them on the line?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How can this occur?
I assume that they just don't take AmEx, right? It happens some times. Hardly the end of the world.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
What did the Platinum Concierge say when you had them on the line?
The Concierge told me that this property does not take Starwood (AE) cards, but that Mxxxxxx Hotel Cards are fine! She booked it for me with my Mxxxxxx Hotel Cards.

She also could not figure out how to enter the Starwood Card into the hotel system, as it rejected the Starwood Card.

Is this another issue for William?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
I assume that they just don't take AmEx, right? It happens some times. Hardly the end of the world.
Thats exactly what I was thinking and was hoping thats what the PC told Life_Platinum.

Not every business takes every credit card. This is not an "issue" in my book.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 8:01 pm

Thats exactly what I was thinking and was hoping thats what the PC told Life_Platinum.

Not every business takes every credit card. This is not an "issue" in my book.
Agreed, there are plenty of places, especially in Europe, that don't take Amex.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:34 am
oc1

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K.
It would be nice for Starwood to offer a Visa/Mastercard option for U.S. card holders, since there are many merchants in the U.S. that don't take Amex too. But this has been raised before.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 1:42 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Originally Posted by oc1
It would be nice for Starwood to offer a Visa/Mastercard option for U.S. card holders, since there are many merchants in the U.S. that don't take Amex too. But this has been raised before.
Agreed. ^

And this issue happened to me when I booked the Sheraton Aleppo. They just don't take AMEX, so I gave them a Mastercard.

Seems pretty silly that you can't use a Starwood-branded credit card at a Starwood-branded property.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sydneysider
Seems pretty silly that you can't use a Starwood-branded credit card at a Starwood-branded property.
It does not come as a big suprise that you can't use Amex in some countries of the Middle East. However, it is not the end of the world: In most of the world there is no SPG branded CC at all.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
The Concierge told me that this property does not take Starwood (AE) cards, but that Mxxxxxx Hotel Cards are fine! She booked it for me with my Mxxxxxx Hotel Cards.

The fact that it was a "Mxxxxx Hotel Card" is irrelevant. The branding logo on the card is moot in this case. The issue is that this property likely doesn't accept American Express as a form of payment, but they do accept Mastercard and/or Visa. That is the salient point. Your continued reference to their willingness to accept "Mxxxxx Hotels Card" seems to be implying that they accept the competitions credit card but not their own. That's not really accurate; they accept MC/Visa but not American Express. It's completely irrelevant what marketing logos are on either the Amex or the MC/Visa. If your Mxxxxx Hotel card had instead been an Amex they would not have accepted that either.

As others have stated, Amex is not necessarily widely accepted in Europe.

No

Regards
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:42 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
It does not come as a big suprise that you can't use Amex in some countries of the Middle East. However, it is not the end of the world: In most of the world there is no SPG branded CC at all.
I know that AMEX acceptance is not as widespread in some parts of the world, but it still strikes me as intellectually inconsistent. Starwood pushes this card and its branding very heavily, and IMO they should require all SPG-branded properties to accept it.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sydneysider
I know that AMEX acceptance is not as widespread in some parts of the world, but it still strikes me as intellectually inconsistent. Starwood pushes this card and its branding very heavily, and IMO they should require all SPG-branded properties to accept it.
How do you "require" a franchise in a country (region/area) where AMEX is not accepted to accept a card?
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:50 am
Used to be Sydneysider

How do you "require" a franchise in a country (region/area) where AMEX is not accepted to accept a card?
Are there entire countries where AMEX is not accepted? I don't work in the credit card industry so I don't know. If that's the case, an exception would have to be made. But in places where competitors (Hilton, Marriott, etc.) accept AMEX and a *W property doesn't, they should be required to do so.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: Via 1 Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
I wish the Starwood American Express card was available in Canada.
Not knocking my MBNA Starwood Mastercard. Have to charge 30,000 to get 30000 points though instead of getting a point per dollar. I would love to get
the double points using it to book my rooms with Starwood with the Amex.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:58 am

Starwood pushes this card and its branding very heavily, and IMO they should require all SPG-branded properties to accept it.

And, THEY would be???

I sincerely hope that the above is a statement of rash frustration and not a thoughtful response that reflects business/financial sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.