Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 EUR to make a baby bottle!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by ittboss

They clearly, beyond any doubt, knew my scenario and should have acted differently.
Yup! I was right that you did have a crib!

So do you still think that Guest Services would suspect her of making oatmeal?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by KVS
And that's why he was only charged the room service fee, 6 EUR. If he had ordered a bottle of Evian, then the charge would have been, say, 13 EUR (i.e. 6 EUR + 7 EUR for the Evian itself).
So why did you suggest that the OP's situation was akin to trying to avoid a mini-bar charge? Was is an irrelevant analogy or just a muddled understanding of the issue?

Originally Posted by KVS
Once again, how would this be different from using such water for 'mixing' it with some tea leaves to get tea?
If I request a toothbrush from housekeeping how does the hotel know that I actually plan to clear my teeth with it rather than add it to the inventory of my eBay mega toothbrush emporium? Trust perhaps?

Given that the OP was actually travelling with a real live infant it would not take a huge leap of faith to actually believe that the boiling water was for a feed rather than tea-thievery.

I am sure the OP would have happily made up the feed in the presence of the manager if required.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:48 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dambus
So why did you suggest that the OP's situation was akin to trying to avoid a mini-bar charge? Was is an irrelevant analogy or just a muddled understanding of the issue?
Why would it be an "irrelevant analogy"?

Originally Posted by ittboss
I think its unreasonable to charge for something that for anyone with a bottle drinking baby is a nessecity.
Drinking water (bottled or boiled) is also a necessity for adults too.

Which brings me to my previous question, which Dambus still have not answered:

Originally Posted by KVS
why should the price of the same product (water) at the same establishment vary, depending on the age of the person, for whom it is [allegedly or genuinely] intended?
If I request a toothbrush from housekeeping how does the hotel know that I actually plan to clear my teeth with it rather than add it to the inventory of my eBay mega toothbrush emporium? Trust perhaps?
F&B charges are one of the most important revenue sources, especially at higher-end properties. Housekeeping items (incl. toothbrushes) are not. Hotels are not in the business of selling toothbrushes, but, rather provide them as a customary amenity (just like shampoo, soap, toilet paper, etc.). As such, there are no revenue loss risks, associated with you getting even 10 toothbrushes; the wholesale purchase costs of those items are negligible.

I am sure the OP would have happily made up the feed in the presence of the manager if required.
Very funny!
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:12 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
A Modern Christmas Tale

A Modern Christmas Tale

Once upon a time in the land of Caesar and the Romans, Mr and Mrs. Ittboss and their infant child arrived tired and travel sore at the door of a wealthy Innkeeper.

Now, fortunately, our intrepid parents were in possession of a reservation and so were not banished to the stables as was common in those days.

Later that evening, having settled themselves in their room, their infant child became hungry and needed nourishment. Seeing that there was no hearth or stove or kettle in their room to boil some water, Mr. Ittboss asked the Innkeeper if he could supply some hot, sterile water.

"A simple pot of boiled tap-water is all that we require to mix our child's formula", said Mr. Ittboss

"Ah ah", thought the Innkeeper, "why should the price of the same product (water) at the same establishment vary, depending on the age of the person, for whom it is [allegedly or genuinely] intended?"

His eyes narrowed and he smiled broadly as he said, "Of course Mr. Ittboss, that will be EUR6.00 please."

My Ittboss was shocked. "Surely there is some mistake? I will gladly fill your kettle and boil it myself for my child needs safe water for his feed."

But the Innkeeper hardened his heart and turned away saying only "EUR6.00 please", as he left

Mr Ittboss looked up in despair, praying silently into the ether. Hoping someone was listening.....

That night the Innkeeper was visited by an Angel from Corporate Customer Care.

"Innkeeper", said the Angel, "Why did you profit excessively from that hungry babe?"

"Well", said the Innkeeper, "if I visualise the crying child as a fat business traveller hoping to avoid a mini-bar charge I found I could assuage my guilt. I mean, surely it makes no difference whether it is a baby consuming my boiling water or a size 0 supermodel who lives on hot water and fresh air. I should charge them both for my services?"

The Angel sighed, wondering if all judgement, common sense and goodness had finally gone out of the world.

"No, Innkeeper", he said finally, "you have been led astray. A fat business traveller or the supermodel could have drunk your tapwater if they wished to avoid your charge. They had a choice. The infant child needs boiling water for its feed and has no other choice. You took advantage of the weak and needy and that is wrong"

The Innkeeper felt ashamed.

"Oh Angel", he said, "what can I do?"

"In future you will welcome infants to your Inn with the promise of free boiled water. We will also contact Mr & Mrs Ittboss together and offer them our apologies and a token of our regret", pronounced the Angel.

"Yes, Angel", smiled the Innkeeper. "That is just and fair. God bless us everyone!"

THE END

Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:22 am
Original Poster

A Modern Christmas Tale

"In future you will welcome infants to your Inn with the promise of free boiled water. We will also contact Mr & Mrs Ittboss together and offer them our apologies and a token of our regret", pronounced the Angel.

"Yes, Angel", smiled the Innkeeper. "That is just and fair. God bless us everyone!"

THE END

Beautifully written... That last part didnt happen yet(apology) but everything else happened like in your fairy tale. Happy Holidays
Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Beautiful Christmas story, however the analogy does not work: 2000 years back in the past the poor couple did not stay in a luxury hotel because these poor guys could not even pay for a Four Points (if it had existed).

I go with the OP that the service did not work properly in this hotel. Room service should work, even it is for water. However, it is still my opinion (and your story did not convert me) that a hotel should/may charge for such services.

The idea that water serviced for a little one should not be charged because "it's in bad taste to charge for a basic item such as hot water so you can feed your baby." is nothing but sentimental humanitarianism.

We are talking about guests in a luxury hotel and not Mary and Joseph wandering about aimlessly in a cold night in the Middle East. The hotel charges for the basic items to feed me, why shouldn't they charge for the service to support basic items to feed my little ones? I am personally allergic to chlorine even in small quantities (traces). I need bottled water to brush my teeth. Should I get it for free? It is a basis I need in particular in the US.....
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by KVS
Drinking water (bottled or boiled) is also a necessity for adults too.
Which I also think is an unjustified charge!

Hotels are supposed to be a 'home from home' blah blah blah... drinking water should be the one thing you are entitled to. If that has to come in a bottle then so be it.

I will not return to hotels that don't provide free drinking water.

Regards

lme ff (happy new year everyone )
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:58 pm
Suspended

It has been concluded that clean and drinkable water is NOT a human right! Sad but true, nobody has signed papers, that are binding, stating otherwise.
Clean air is also NOT a human right!

Course it be nicer to have such things provided for free or as a courtesy. But no one is obligated to do so.
You do not really expect an apology from the hotel, do you? What would that help you after all? Feeling of satisfaction and being right?
Maybe you didn`t spend enough at that hotel to be given anything free.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by SwissCircle
Clean air is also NOT a human right!
So if my room stinks of smoke/glue/paint/concrete dust I shouldn't complain since my legally binding contract with the hotel didn't cover the air?

Customer service is a warm and fuzzy business. A black and white, letter of the law mentality tends to result in extinction due to lack of customers....
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:22 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
I believe 6 eur is just too much. I've also stayed at the Sheraton Golf Medici with a baby, and when we told the restaurant we needed hot water for the baby's food to be heated in, they supplied us hot water free of charge, and it was sent up to the room (they said we would not be permitted to carry it up to our room ourselves).

If the OP is making up several bottles each day, and also using hot water to heat up baby food, then the number of 6 eur charges incurred is just too much.

No hotel I have ever stayed at has charged for this service, however, we couldn't be hassled with the whole going down to the restaurant and requesting hot water thing. We just went to the Carrefour romanina and bought a little travel kettle to use in the room - it was 8 eur......and much less hassle.

Anyway, my point is this. They didn't charge us, so they really should have the same policy when it comes to all guests. They also gave us free milk for our older child.....he's 5.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I think it's ridiculous. I don't care where it was, a baby s a baby and hot water for a bottle is not like asking for liquid gold. 6 Euros is a lot, and I'll bet they would tax that, too.

As a woman praying for a baby (we're trying to adopt) it makes me sad to hear that new parents ran into something like this. At least the 1st person the OP spoke to recognized the Platinum status and tried. Unfortunately, the nicer hotels are the ones who feel they can nickel and dime us to death. Fortunately, I don't drink coffee or tea so my hotel stays aren't affected by the absence of coffee/tea makers or the lack of hot water. But I would certainly balk at the charge of 6 Euros for a baby's bottle. And as one poster pointed out, that was just one bottle!

It's too bad that this happened. I hope the OP doesn't run into this problem again.

Kudos to the author of the story- very funny and imaginative!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
Just an experience on comping room-service service charge.

Last week I stayed at the (well known) Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa in Hollywood, FL.

I called room service for a child's meal twice. The first time they just charged the kid's meal and did not put the service charge (I think $3 per person). The second time, I got the charge. It surely depended on the person in charge.

As per the OP's case:

Families with babies receive special treatment and special services all around the world. Also, most hotels do not charge for a crib, but almost all charge for an extra bed.

When you become a parent, you learn about many things you never imagined before. Most hotel managers, receptionists, etc are parents and know what it takes. Sometime it makes a real difference when you talk about your baby-related needs to a person that has/had kids than when you talk to someone else.

The OP went down for hot water. I cannot imagine why they refused to provide. Maybe there's something else? Could you elaborate on your visit to the restaurant?

If I call room service to get water, I would expect the charge or at least tip the person. If I go to the restaurant, I do not expect to get charged for hot water nor I expect the request to be rejected.

If I call service express, they tell me to get down to the restaurant. Then I'm sent back to the room and directed to ask for room service; at least I'll expect the charge to be comped for telling me to move in the first place.

Personally, I would go to the restaurant for hot water and I would not expect to be charged for that. I find it anoying if the hotel refuses to provide hot water at the restaurant or wants to charge for it.

In some trips we have also:
- Heated the bottle by filling the ice holder with hot water from the lavatory
- Heated the bottle with 30-second microwave shot at the restaurant (I hope this does not create another discussion!)

LR
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:30 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by leandrorar
water from the lavatory
LR
Now that's not medically recommended!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:07 am
Original Poster

As per the OP's case:

Families with babies receive special treatment and special services all around the world. Also, most hotels do not charge for a crib, but almost all charge for an extra bed.

When you become a parent, you learn about many things you never imagined before. Most hotel managers, receptionists, etc are parents and know what it takes. Sometime it makes a real difference when you talk about your baby-related needs to a person that has/had kids than when you talk to someone else.

The OP went down for hot water. I cannot imagine why they refused to provide. Maybe there's something else? Could you elaborate on your visit to the restaurant?

If I call room service to get water, I would expect the charge or at least tip the person. If I go to the restaurant, I do not expect to get charged for hot water nor I expect the request to be rejected.

If I call service express, they tell me to get down to the restaurant. Then I'm sent back to the room and directed to ask for room service; at least I'll expect the charge to be comped for telling me to move in the first place.

Personally, I would go to the restaurant for hot water and I would not expect to be charged for that. I find it anoying if the hotel refuses to provide hot water at the restaurant or wants to charge for it.

LR
OP here:
I beg to differ. A restaurant charges for food, that is what they do to make money. I would have never thought of going there if I was not directed to.

On the other hand, "Guest Services" is there to make your stay enjoyable. Hence, when request towels, soap, etc. I will not get charged. Hot water for a baby bottle should be classified in the complimentary section. In most hotels I go to, and even on airplanes, they are very quick to ask me if they can get anything for the baby (the Westin Palace Madrid sent up a baby bath!!!) but here it seems they are just quick to charge.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Also, most hotels do not charge for a crib, but almost all charge for an extra bed.
I've gotten a rollaway bed in rooms in 10 different countries and have never been charged extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.