Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

The Economy - Extend Everyone's Status through 2009?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Economy - Extend Everyone's Status through 2009?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
No need to extend Elite status...

just lower some of your hotel categories
Rather than increase point requirements AND take away some bennies AND decrease customer service ??? C'mon......very doubtful
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I wonder....

Would there perhaps, just maybe, be any commercial benefit in *wood offering sub-qualification level elite renewal on a selected basis?? Clearly no need to hand out Plat/Gold status as a Christmas present but after all, the only thing that matters is locking in 2009 revenue in a tight economy.

Starwood will have a very clear view on sub-segments of it's customer base that will respond well to a little extra stimulus next year; extending status is certainly an available option....
Old Dec 20, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Remember, however, that *wood has offered more opportunities for double stay credits this year than EVER BEFORE. I think that there have been plenty of chances for folks who were aware that their travel plans would curtail in Q4 to be proactive about choosing smart promotions this year that would've allowed them to have retained their Plat status.

But isn't that the rub? Awareness. Who would have predicted what Q4 had in store for us. Bailouts and bank failures and recessions.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with the majority here. However, I believe that unforeseable circumstances necessitate some flexibility.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
who cares who pays for the rooms; it shouldn't make a difference as to the answer to the question

Personally it doesn't do a thing for me; i've requalified already for this year so I get nothing out of it unless they extend those who requalified for 09 and then extend it to 2011 (feb)

for me; just add a new tier; it might get me to the 26th stay which I have not had any incentive to make once 25 is in the books.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I will have stayed 50 stays this year.

If you want plat - you have to earn it. If SPG gives it away to people who haven't earned it, then they rightfully should create a plat+ program for those who have.

In not - well then that's just not fair.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
No. Starwood is much more prestigious. It will just make platinum even better! Less people.
^ I couldn't agree more. Sometimes, exclusivity is a good thing. In this case, more doesn't = better.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: GGL
As said above there were enough promotions this year and am sure there will be some next year that the right customers can remain plat if they want to. Don't make it too easy and keep it a bit exclusive.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jplondon
As said above there were enough promotions this year and am sure there will be some next year that the right customers can remain plat if they want to. Don't make it too easy and keep it a bit exclusive.

As a leisure traveler, I totally agree.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:42 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Ditto, I would say 80% of my travel is leisure and of course the majority being paid for out of my own pocket. Do I enjoy being Platinum. Hell yes! Do I think that Starwood should extend status. No! If anything as previously mentioned than lower the categories of the hotels or certainly the cost per night will go down. This is the only fair thing to do in my mind.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I am sure SPG is keeping tabs on who they want to keep in the program and are ensuring we stay through targetted double stay promos etc.

If we don't make their list, it probably means that we haven't been in the right category all along . . .
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: * A
Do I think that Starwood should extend status? Not in my opinion. I earn the PLT the hardway each and every year (spending my own money to at least get my 25 stays/50 nights if economy is as bad as 2008).
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In reality- with the double stays promotion they have made it very easy to extend status. I cannot think of a lot of economic benefits for Starwood in extending everyones status.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
No need to extend Elite status...

just lower some of your hotel categories
Lowering categories will go a looooong way towards restoring the "value" to the SPG program. I'd also suggest something such as free breakfast or free internet or upping the Plat Amenity to 1,000 points in 2009 as a "Starwood stimulus package"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.