Search

March SPG Trip - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
March SPG Trip - any ideas?

Hi all -

I feel I go through this same issue each year, but here goes...

My wife and I would like to go somewhere warm in March of this year - we went to Hawaii last year and had a great time, so there is the possibility of going back again this year, but I want to explore options.

We are late 20s/early 30s and are looking for beach, snorkling, walk to restaurants, day trip to sites/hikes, etc. We are willing to fly up to the distance that it would be from YYZ to Hawaii, so pretty much opens up Eastern Europe, South America, North America, Caribbean.

We have recently been to Arizona, Bahamas, Argentina, Chile, Hawaii, Hilton Head so trying to find something new.

So... reading the above, what springs to mind that might work to avoid the Toronto winter?

Thanks (as always) for any ideas.

T.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

any thoughts?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Mexico?
San Diego?
Nassau? (You didn't say which island in the Bahamas.)
Aruba?
Puerto Rico?

I would guess that Eastern Europe doesn't make the cut for warm weather in March.

Have you checked out my Google Earth mapping files?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Do Aruba / PR have good snorkling/diving sites? I'll do some research, but those could be options... I'm in SD a lot for work, so that is a no go.

I read around about the Mexico sites - doesn't sound like many have good walking options for restaurants, etc.. we are pretty high on actually getting out of the resort and moving around the local area.

Canary Islands looks like a decent option as well, but I'm concerned it isn't warm enough in March according to average tempurature information I was able to find.

T.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
FYI - March is Spring Break time. Personally, that's reason for me to go, not stay away, but then again I'm 25. Either way, its something that you should be aware of, especially in Mexico and the Bahamas.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:42 am
Original Member

Grand Cayman has very good snorkeling right off the beach at the hotel, lots of restaurants within walking distance (10-15 mins walk), and a very nice beach. Not much in the way of sites on the island -- lots of good dive/snorkel sites, though. Stingray City, Atlantis submarine. Good warm sunny location for the winter. We'll be there first week of Jan.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I have booked some time during march in PHX at various resorts from Phoenician to Kierland...

Sorry...just caught that you had already traveled to AZ...
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium , National Car Emerald Club Exec Elite, AC 50K Elite
For late 20s early 30s beach type vacation you'd love Rio. I find it not to be as "contrived" and touristy as Hawaii, with as many, if not more, activities. Only downside is you'll need a Visa and of course language may be a bit of a barrier (although not a huge one).

As a heads up during this time of year you may also wish to consider that if Starwood again has their 50% off points promotion during this period (which is the time it has been offered in the past) you may wish to change whatever paid booking you are considering, to one which you will be able to later apply your Starpoints to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.