Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC: Westin or Le Parker?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP

Traveling to NYC for a little weekend getaway, and have two options for my stay" Westin Times Square or Le Parker Meridien. It will be a points redemption stay, so both require equal number of points. I am Platinum, so upgrade opportunities are important. I know that westin is at a much more busy location (not necessarily a plus), but I also know that westin beds are nicer then Le Parker's. Looking for good service, comfortable stay (traveling with mom, taking her out to the city). looks like Le Parker looks more trendy then Westin (trendy is good ), but would take solid service over just trendy.

Your suggestions and comments are appreciated!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:11 am
Community Director Emerita

If it's any consideration, the linens at Le Parker were so amazing, we asked for information on how we could find them.

I haven't stayed at the Westin, but have stayed right across the street, so know the locaiton. The Westin location is great if you are going to be in and out of theatres. Otherwise, I prefer the calmer location of Parker LM.

I'm not sure anyone can report yet on upgrades at Parker LM, but last year on the mistake rate, we were given a massive room. Service was excellent. We were well pleased with our stay, and that was without any platinum recognition at all.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
If it's any consideration, the linens at Le Parker were so amazing, we asked for information on how we could find them.

I haven't stayed at the Westin, but have stayed right across the street, so know the locaiton. The Westin location is great if you are going to be in and out of theatres. Otherwise, I prefer the calmer location of Parker LM.

I'm not sure anyone can report yet on upgrades at Parker LM, but last year on the mistake rate, we were given a massive room. Service was excellent. We were well pleased with our stay, and that was without any platinum recognition at all.
To be honest, I too think that Le Parker seems to be better suited for my preferences. however, Trip Advisor has a huge range in ratings between Westin and Le Parker, preference given to Westin by far. But then again, Trip Advisor does attract a rather different crowd of contributors, not what I call frequent guests or experienced travelers necesserally.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I havn't stayed at the Le Meridien, but Westin TS is one of my least favorite hotels. The service is mediocre at best. The rooms are decent and there is a club lounge for free sodas, appetizers and internet. That's a pretty decent benefit for NYC. However, my upgrade success rates have been pretty bad

I would stay if the rates were good. Otherwise, I'd go with LM or Ws
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I havn't stayed at the Le Meridien, but Westin TS is one of my least favorite hotels. The service is mediocre at best. The rooms are decent and there is a club lounge for free sodas, appetizers and internet. That's a pretty decent benefit for NYC. However, my upgrade success rates have been pretty bad

I would stay if the rates were good. Otherwise, I'd go with LM or Ws
I have developed a bit of an allergy to W's lately (with one notable exception of fabulous W Scottsdale!). As someone on this board said before, to me it feels like a bar with some rooms on top of it, maybe Im getting a little too old for that scene (and Im only 30!).

Based on both very helpful comments, along with my own hunch on how things are with SPG NYC hotels (just had a horrible stay at Sheraton Manhattan I would not even dare to talk about, since I am still quite disturbed by the whole experience), I made my reservation at Le Parker Meridien, and very much looking forward to my stay!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
LPM did not participate in SPG last year, so your status wouldn't have mattered.

I also wonder how LPM recognizes SPG Plat members now that they started participation in SPG. I am trying to use my LEM for 2 nights at LPM. That rate hasn't been loaded into the system at LPM, so I'll have to call Plat Concierge back after Thanksgiving for an update on status of my reservation.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by CIT85
LPM did not participate in SPG last year, so your status wouldn't have mattered.
We are agreed. That was exactly the point I was attempting to make. I was treated very well even before the hotel began to recognize status.

I also wonder how LPM recognizes SPG Plat members now that they started participation in SPG. I am trying to use my LEM for 2 nights at LPM. That rate hasn't been loaded into the system at LPM, so I'll have to call Plat Concierge back after Thanksgiving for an update on status of my reservation.
Check this post and this one. It doesn't look promising.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
This one's easy....

If you're theatre or restaurant or tourist crawling, stay at Times Square in the Westin. I actually like that hotel when kids are along with me, it's so convenient and Ellen's Stardust and all the business of the neighborhood.

For ANY other reason than theatre, stay at the Parker.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Westin TS or Parker Meridien

Hi all!

I am planning a stay in New York for May this year and cant decide where to stay! I have been to NY a few times and stayed at the Westin TS three times, one very good, one stay ok, one best forgotton about!
I have also stayed at some of the W's and never been that keen on them! I have been thinking about giving the Parker a go now it is part of the SPG and wondered what people thought about which I should choose! Either location is fine so that doesnt help much!

I see on the Westin website it says the rooms have been newly renovated, has anyone seen this and how recent is this? I am probably going blind but the only "master thread" I can find on the Westin TS has a last post of 06!

Any thoughts or comments would be most welcome!

Thanks

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 8, 2009 at 11:56 am Reason: Moved into recent thread on topic
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Smile

Originally Posted by toddml
Hi all!

I am planning a stay in New York for May this year and cant decide where to stay! I have been to NY a few times and stayed at the Westin TS three times, one very good, one stay ok, one best forgotton about!
I have also stayed at some of the W's and never been that keen on them! I have been thinking about giving the Parker a go now it is part of the SPG and wondered what people thought about which I should choose! Either location is fine so that doesnt help much!

I see on the Westin website it says the rooms have been newly renovated, has anyone seen this and how recent is this? I am probably going blind but the only "master thread" I can find on the Westin TS has a last post of 06!

Any thoughts or comments would be most welcome!

Thanks

This thread should be of some help.

Also, I would schedule an eye doctors appointment IMMEDIATELY as there is a "Westin Times Square 2007 onward" master thread in the FAQ sticky thread. LOL (I couldn't resist.)

Good luck and be sure to come back and post a trip review on which ever property you chose.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by toddml
I have been thinking about giving the Parker a go now it is part of the SPG and wondered what people thought about which I should choose! Either location is fine so that doesnt help much!
I used the LM last week for two award stays and was amazed. Got upgraded both times to a junior suite, quite nice and new. Service was friendly, European and location by far better than the off-times-square Westn location.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
I would go with Meridien; Westin is stingy with the upgrades (they often put elites on high floors/junor suite) but the real upgrades are below the 8th floors on the executive level. Meridien has a more exclusive feel to it. I have also found the sheets at WTS to be very stiff and uncomfortable (particularly at this Westin) perhaps they use a different type of wash. And Times Square is such a trashy area. At Le Meridien you are just a few blocks from 5th Avenue shopping, and good restaurants like Le Bernadin and Milos right there. Norma's inside the Meridien is also famous for good breakfasts/brunches.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Elena
I would go with Meridien; Westin is stingy with the upgrades (they often put elites on high floors/junor suite) but the real upgrades are below the 8th floors on the executive level. Meridien has a more exclusive feel to it. I have also found the sheets at WTS to be very stiff and uncomfortable (particularly at this Westin) perhaps they use a different type of wash. And Times Square is such a trashy area. At Le Meridien you are just a few blocks from 5th Avenue shopping, and good restaurants like Le Bernadin and Milos right there. Norma's inside the Meridien is also famous for good breakfasts/brunches.
Actually, there are no guest rooms below the 9th floor or on the 8th floor where the club lounge is. Club rooms are between 10 and 16 and most of the suites are above 28. There are some corner suites, a presidential suite, and a renewal suite but most of those are reserved for top paying guests and VIP's. Us lowly Plats usually don't get upgraded to them unless we are lucky or have a friend on the staff
I've always found their service to be above par for Westin and Starwood. The front desk staff has always been great to me.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
Deciding between the two, I am gold and will be using my SNA. Anyone know which one I have a better shot getting my SNA accepted at? I have stayed at the Westin before so I know what that place is like. The diff in price is about $30 a night, but if Meridien is that better, view/location, i dont mind paying that diff. I will be traveling during December, so the usual tourist areas will be hit.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by discostu
Deciding between the two, I am gold and will be using my SNA. Anyone know which one I have a better shot getting my SNA accepted at? I have stayed at the Westin before so I know what that place is like. The diff in price is about $30 a night, but if Meridien is that better, view/location, i dont mind paying that diff. I will be traveling during December, so the usual tourist areas will be hit.
The Westin bed will be much more comfortable than the Le Parker Meridien's bed if that enters into your decision process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.