Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Will Starwood match Hilton gold? Answer: No, only top tier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

I'm hilton honors gold - would starwood status match this?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 19, 2008 at 10:33 pm Reason: Title updated to reflect answer below
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by topyam
Welcome to FlyerTalk! At the top of the forum you will find all of the answers you may want to know re: Starwood and its program including your matching question. Please look at the sticky "FAQs. . ." then select Starwood Status Match. That should assist you. Again, welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:40 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Not by policy.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Status match

Why? I don't think I would stay at a Starwood hotel, if they didn't match my hilton status...
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:44 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Why? I don't think I would stay at a Starwood hotel, if they didn't match my hilton status...
Because it is simply not their policy to match status with the lower tiers of any other hotel program. EOS.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
Hilton HHonors Gold VIP membership will be awarded to Members with 16 stays*, 36 nights* or 60,000 Base points earned during any calendar year.

Well what do you want them to math you to? *wood Gold? Not much benefit there besides the 50% more points. Platinum is where the real deal is, and it sounds like your status doesnt come close to what *Wood requires.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

status match

match to *wood gold would seem fair?
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
match to *wood gold would seem fair?
Why would it "seem fair"

Earn it would be "fair"
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm sure they would be happy to match you to Preferred, or probably even Preferred Plus!

After all, that's the roughly equivalent level to Hilton Gold by the sounds of it
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:19 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Gold is equivalent to Preferred Plus except for an extra bonus point per dollar - and you can get PreferredPlus by joining AAA. You can also get Gold in 5 stays during the common "Stays count double" promotion. There is really no reason for them to even take the time to comp you to Gold as Gold is not as good of a tier as Hilton Gold and if anything would deter you from switching if you expect to compare like to like. If you were Hilton Diamond, you could get comped to Starwood Platinum and that would be a fair comparison.

But seriously, one can't always expect a comp in a new loyalty program just because they have mid-tier in another. Hilton Gold is quite easy to get through various methods, such as spending $20K on an HHonors credit card and does not prove you to be frequent a Hilton guest.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:28 pm

OP could stay (maybe less than 12 more stays with hilton) and status match...to Plat.

OR simply sign up for Double stay credit Promo and stay 13.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

match

Have stayed 22 nights (7 stays) since Sep - is that business not worth matching?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:08 pm

Have stayed 22 nights (7 stays) since Sep - is that business not worth matching?
Are you looking for a match to gold? then maybe ... even though it is not official but they sometimes do. But for Platinum, no. Even Hyatt will not match..
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

hilton gold is given out free to practically anyone with a heartbeat.. i would hope that SPG never matches HH gold.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Then you only need another 3 stays &/or 3 nights to qualify for SPG Gold for 2009, and you've got another 41 days to do it.

From your figures above, I'm guessing some of those stays have been in Oct/Nov? If you had signed up for double stays/nights in the current quarterly SPG promo (unfortunately the 7+ weeks sign up period for it ended on 15/11) you'd have been SPG Gold already and maybe well on the way to SPG Platinum by year end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.