Search

Complaints Escalation for Starwood?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Complaints Escalation for Starwood?

I had a complaint about a property which I made to corporate customer care. This complaint was relayed to the property in question and I received a response which I thought was unacceptable and inaccurate.

I am now being told by corporate customer care that they have closed the file and the agent who has been handling the issue flatly said that they thought the response and offer made by the property was acceptable.

What annoys me most is that the core of the issue concerns the property description on SPG.com. This turned out to be quite inaccurate with no "special conditions" being declared to highlight the shortfall. A week after my complaint the error persists.

I have gone from being mildly annoyed by a gap between the promised facilities and the reality, to being furious at how this has been handled by Starwood. The responses I have received so far categorically state that the SPG.com description is entirely down to the property and if there are any issues it is down to the property to resolve.

My takeaway from this is that I can have very little confidence in anything which is ever written on SPG.com if Starwood will never stand behind the descriptions which have appeared on its own booking system. How can I ever have confidence again making a booking for a property that I have never visited, if Starwood feels it has no responsibility for the descriptions of its own properties?

I am really trying to see this in the context of many great experiences with Starwood but I am struggling to do so right now.

Is anyone aware of any escalation point beyond customer care? Whilst the original complaint was about compensation for the misdescription, the broader point for me now is how issues such as this would be resolved in the future. I really just want to feel confident when making new bookings and my confidence in the Starwood brand has taken quite a severe knock.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Just ask the agent by email to escalate the matter to a supervisor.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:39 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
maybe you should ask starwood lurker for some private advice based on your facts and see what he says.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:43 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Would you be willing to share with us the discrepency? And hotel?

Thanks,
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
Would you be willing to share with us the discrepency? And hotel?

Thanks,
Post#27 on this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=825866&page=2
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
What did the property tell you after you complained?
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
Starwood absolutely does not care, I escalated my situation to the top, actually to Fritz's office.
I had a room confirmed, they cancelled it, offered to move me 30 miles away to another Chain, with no compensation.
I wrote several letters and never an acceptable answer.

As a result, with 268 employees traveling, at a minimum 50 nights per year, they have lost a lot of revenue

Please PM me on your situation.

Last edited by rockdocs; Jul 27, 2008 at 12:06 pm Reason: added info
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
So you received compensation and just aren't pleased with it? What more exactly are you looking for?
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ldsant
So you received compensation and just aren't pleased with it? What more exactly are you looking for?
What all of us should be looking for - accurate information about properties and rooms on SPG.com

I have instances where the room description stated Heavenly Bed but not all rooms had them.

I have also stayed in a hotel that states walk in shower on the room description but not all rooms have it.

If SPG wants our loyalty they need to take some responsibility for the information that is written about the hotels on their website that is NOT true.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Moomba
What all of us should be looking for - accurate information about properties and rooms on SPG.com

I have instances where the room description stated Heavenly Bed but not all rooms had them.

I have also stayed in a hotel that states walk in shower on the room description but not all rooms have it.

If SPG wants our loyalty they need to take some responsibility for the information that is written about the hotels on their website that is NOT true.
I can't be 100% sure, but I think William stated that each hotel updates their page or sends Starwood the information to update.

I wonder what the QA is for verifying the accuracy of information?
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I can't be 100% sure, but I think William stated that each hotel updates their page or sends Starwood the information to update.

I wonder what the QA is for verifying the accuracy of information?
That is my understanding as well. I wouldn't expect that SPG could vet all the information provided by the hotels as that would be a costly exercise.

However when SPG are informed of these inaccuracies they should put pressure on the hotels in question to amend the information as appropriate. Which is, I believe, the crux of LoM's current beef with SPG customer services although I will let him confirm or deny this.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My particular point here is that ths property was crawling with Starwood staff for the opening including the EMEA Vice President. It is absolutely inconceivable that they did not know of the shortcomings in the product, they just did not care enough to fix things. Still one week after my complaint they haven't fixed the site which speaks volumes to me.

No I was not happy with the offer made, which amounted to less than one nights accomodation at this particular property when in any event when all of the other corrections due to my account are made will show over 100k SPG Points. I really don't want SPG points I want some practical acknowledgement that effectively this property lied to me, yet all I get from Starwood HQ is "they have made you an offer etc.". In any other situation I would have walked from the hotel but since I walked from another Starwood property just before I arrived there, my appetite for a further move was somewhat diminished, in what was after all supposed to be a relaxing time.

I am annoyed at the hotel but absolutely incandescent at the line taken by Starwood.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I read the extensive list of items advertised by GM on the SPG website that were not available during the grand opening. I can't say that I'm surprised given all the problems that can arise and often inital timing has to be delayed. That's why I'm NEVER interested in staying at a hotel during the opening week. I like to stay at a new hotel after all the initial issues are resolved.

I don't know what the grand opening rates were, but I would be upset when a lot of the advertised activities were unavailable. I believe the GM at least owe you explanations why these items were not available, such as s**t happens when working against a deadline, and offer a discount on the room rate because the hotel's promises were not delivered, kind of like the old Sheraton Promise.

I like good wine, but I also look at value. Any wine that's marked up >500% is outrageous, even 300% for an expensive wine is too high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.