Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Moorea activities

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt GP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IC Amb.
Sheraton Moorea activities

I am planning a visit to Moorea and Bora Bora next February. I have been to Bora Bora, so I know what to do there. I will be staying at the Sheraton Moorea for only two nights and need some advice on what to do. I am looking for things that won't break the bank. We love to snorkel, so some advice on where to go for cheap or free snorkeling would be much appreciated. I searched the threads and found some old information. Updated information and pricing would be very helpful.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: HH Silver(!), SPG Gold, United Silver
We just stayed there in late April. There is great snorkeling on-site at the Sheraton, and you can borrow gear for free. You can also borrow kayaks (and I think outrigger canoes) for free from the watersports hut.

We also did a snorkeling trip/picnic on a private motu (little island off the coast) which was great, and cost about $100pp. We booked that through the activities desk in the lobby.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by davidjdewey
We love to snorkel, so some advice on where to go for cheap or free snorkeling would be much appreciated.
Why would you go anywhere? The snorkeling at the Shreaton Moorea in between the overwater bungalows and the fringing reef is the best in the world.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:39 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, AA, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood Gold
Just to further reinforce what has been said: We took a dolphin watching excursion with Prof. Michael Poole. He has been there 18 years. We asked him where the best snorkeling on the island was and he said the Sheraton!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Agreed with the above about water sports.

However, Moorea, unlike Bora Bora has a great interior. I'd strongly suggest taking a tour or renting a car and going to Belvedere point. Make sure to stop along the way for some ice cream at the agricultural school which is on the way. The tirare (or gardenia for us in the US) flavor was amazing!

You can rent cars in 4 hour blocks of time so it's pretty cheap. I don't recall exactly but I think the tour we went on last october was under $40 per person. Our guide was excellent and really made it one of the highlights.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
The Kayaking is phenomenal! You can use the Sheraton's kayaks for free. I'd recommend to get them first thing in the morning though...
We kayaked east to Cook Bay, and paddled to the Bali Hai for lunch. The burgers were heavenly!
But the water is absolutely PERFECT for kayaking because it's crystal clear and not too deep, so you can gaze at all the different species of fish. Just phenomenal!
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt GP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IC Amb.
Thanks for the advice

Thansk for all of the good advice. I think we will do well to do our snorkeling around the hotel. We will dothe shark and ray feeding again in Bora Bora, so no need to pay for something that I can get for free.

I will look into the land tours. I heard that the only drawback was the forced shopping stops that they make. Any recommendations for a good tour company? I have seen Albert's Tours mentioned a lot.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
OP, anything to add to this thread? I'm heading to Moorea and Bora Bora next Friday.

Your recommendations for activities not covered in this thread at both properties would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by margarita girl
OP, anything to add to this thread? I'm heading to Moorea and Bora Bora next Friday.

Your recommendations for activities not covered in this thread at both properties would be greatly appreciated.
This thread should be moved to the Hilton forum because SPG no longer has a property in Moorea, FP.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Perhaps. But some of us still have stays booked with our SPG points that haven't taken place yet.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Perhaps. But some of us still have stays booked with our SPG points that haven't taken place yet.
But you sure won't get any SPG elite benefits or upgrade unless you have HH elite status. @:-)
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
No plat benefits

In February of 2008 I made a 10 day reservation at the Moorea, 2 days at the Bora Bora and one night at the Sheraton Tahiti and while the company owning the property was nice in providing information, they also made it clear that there was no upgrade or status. When I provided them my HiltonHonors information (I'm Diamond) they weren't very clear on what perks I would get (it was late and I was coming up against a cancellation deadline). I vote we move this thread to Hilton Honors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.