FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/816095-le-parker-meridien-new-york-city-master-thread-leaving-jan-4-2018-a.html)

jnswinnipeg Sep 8, 2009 3:56 pm

Lets clear up a few things. My wife and I just spent three nights here for the long weekend. Some background:

- hotel was sold out for the weekend
- I have Plat status and am a SPP
- redeemed free weekend nights for this trip

This hotel is far from the worst hotel in the chain and I have no idea how someone could say that. Some observations and comments:

- we checked-in and were told that were in on the 38th floor in a Junior Suite
- asked about a park view and was told that all suites have city views, the map on the back of the door suggested the same
- the bed was not like sleeping on concrete, it was a firm mattress that had a pillow top added to it (like an after market part)
- we had been worried about the bed and we love the other *wood beds, but in the end we both slept very well
- the staff were all very helpful and courtesy both at check-in and when we asked for directions, advice, etc.
- location is great for walking to the park or jumping in the subway
- I had a burger and have to say it was ok, but really nothing special
- the room furniture was not worn out and was definitely not from Ikea, we thought the decor in the room was very nice and modern with a retro touch
- the analog alarm clock was a little annoying, but we got over it

This is not the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in, but it is FAR from the worst! If you are considering the hotel I would happily recommend it.

AZ Travels the World Sep 8, 2009 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg (Post 12349816)
This is not the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in, but it is FAR from the worst! If you are considering the hotel I would happily recommend it.

I concur with your assessment, top to bottom. I have no hesitation in recommending or returning to this property.

Fuocotecnico Sep 9, 2009 4:35 am

I can confirm word by word what you've said, having recently booked two rooms in august. And, I would definitely return.

Btw, I was initially worried about the LPM's beds after reading this thread, but they turned out to be confortable and firm. No minuses at all.

mattm199 Sep 9, 2009 6:26 am

Great Customer Service from LPM.

I had a 3 night stay last week (using 2 Free Nights, as many seem to have been doing), and had a comfortable and pleasant stay.
I thought Norma's wasn't anything too exciting, and similarly Burger Joint was ok for a late check-in dinner, but after all was still just a burger.

Nice bathroom amenities (PeterThomasRoth branded), and the umbrella was good on a rainy morning. Concierge pointed out a handy Dean & DeLuca across the street for coffee.

After departing I checked the account and found I had been charged $150 x2 for the "free nights". I emailed Reservations from the lounge at JFK that evening, and within 36 hours had an email from their Admin Assistant confirming a $300 credit to my credit card.
I was very impressed by such a prompt and "no questions asked" fix for a billing error, and would be happy to stay again if the opportunity arose.

Flying Buccaneer Sep 9, 2009 9:35 am

Lets clear up a few things. My wife and I just spent three nights here for the long weekend. Some background:

- hotel was sold out for the weekend
- I have Plat status and am a SPP
- redeemed free weekend nights for this trip

This hotel is far from the worst hotel in the chain and I have no idea how someone could say that. Some observations and comments:

I was there for Labor Day Weekend as well, and I agree with jnswinnipeg's comments. To complicate matters, my three-night stay began on Saturday and had three different reservations: The first night was a free night (booked at the urging of a Plat Concierge to grab that night while I was earning another), the second was also a free night, and a Monday night was booked using the BRG.

Not surprisingly, even though another Plat Concierge had noted that this was a single stay in the comments each night, things took time to coordinate upon check-in. The agent at the desk was awesome, and she repeatedly apologized for the time it was taking to find a room that was free all three nights, because the hotel was completely booked during the period. She managed to find a junior suite on the 22nd floor.

I expected nothing more than a larger room, but the room was very close to being a real suite: a large sitting area and an alcove with the king bed and wardrobe, separated by a swiveling entertainment center. I was very happy with the room. The view was not outstanding by any stretch of the imagination, but I prefer not to spend time in my room while I am in New York. Also, as jnswinnipeg said, the map on the back of the door confirmed that all of the larger rooms on the 22nd floor had city views and the park view rooms were smaller. I could see the park view from the elevator lobby, and it didn't seem all that spectacular from that height, though I imagine it gets better farther up.

I also was unimpressed with the Burger Joint. The burger was good, and it was kind of cool seeing a dive like that off the lobby of a hotel like the LPM. It's a good alternative to the usual dining options at New York hotels, but be warned: It's cash only!

The only shortcoming with the hotel itself was that the wifi was a little slow, and went out a couple of times... once while I was purchasing tickets for a show. I mention this only because I would expect better from a hotel that probably caters more to business travelers. (It's $16.28/day including tax for those who wanted to know.)

There was a snag at check-out, because Monday night's rate was incorrect. It showed as $359, the rate I had booked, instead of $240, the BRG rate I had confirmed. The agent checked with his supervisor, and a few minutes later had it fixed for me.

My last stay in New York was at the W The Court in late March. It's hard to compare the two, because I enjoyed the stays at both. The room at the W was a real suite, but the bathroom was nicer at the LPM. Both have great locations, because they are NOT in Times Square! I had great experiences with the staff at both. The stay at the W was more fun only because Mr. FB was with me then, and he had to stay in Tampa while he recovered from some bug*. That said, I would not hesitate to stay again at either.

* In case anyone is wondering why I left him behind while he was sick, I did (1) because he insisted, and (2) because of the $799 cancellation fees associated with the free weekend nights.

Pizzaman Sep 22, 2009 5:45 pm

Paid Suite Upgrade Worth It?

I have 3 rooms there this weekend. I'm suspecting that I'll get one upgrade for myself. The hotel sent me an e-mail offering a $49 upgrade to a tower room with a view of Central Park. That doesn't seem worth it to me.

However, they are offering a $99 upgrade to a Junior suite, and I'm contemplating this for the other two rooms. Any thoughts on whether it's worth it? I'm not paying for any of the rooms now.

tommy777 Sep 22, 2009 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzaman (Post 12421628)
I have 3 rooms there this weekend. I'm suspecting that I'll get one upgrade for myself. The hotel sent me an e-mail offering a $49 upgrade to a tower room with a view of Central Park. That doesn't seem worth it to me.

However, they are offering a $99 upgrade to a Junior suite, and I'm contemplating this for the other two rooms. Any thoughts on whether it's worth it? I'm not paying for any of the rooms now.

They have upgraded me to the junior suites 2 of the 3 times I have stayed there the last month an a half. The third time they also offered me a junior suite, but it wasn't available till much later in the day. So you will get an upgrade yourself for sure.

The view over the park i breathtaking, but hardly worth 49 bucks.

The Junior suites are nice and I don't think you will be able to score 3 upgraded suites at this property with only 1 Plat checking in.

99 bucks is not a lot of money and if I didn't have status, I would absolutely pay it for an upgrade.

gleff Sep 22, 2009 6:01 pm

You should get 1 junior suite as a plat. Personally I prefer the junior suite over the view of the park. Personally I'd go for it for the other rooms, that strikes me not as a phenomenal value but reasonable for what you get -- which is a 'separated' living room (it's really one big room but given a separated feel by the swiveling TV) and really quite a large bathroom/shower by New York standards.

Do consider trying Norma's for breakfast, if only to develop the view that I have that it isn't the best breakfast in the City, even if it's a famous one. Do call the concierge and have them connect you to Burger Joint, place your order, and walk straight past the entire line up to the register to take out your food. Though I suspect you'll come away not blown away either, but how can you pass up a famous burger joint in your hotel?

On the whole this is a pretty good, pretty reasonable hotel for New York and I rather like it. It's nice, though the furniture overall feels a bit cheap to me and the low profile beds are considered not overly comfortable by many.

tommy777 Sep 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 12280271)
You seem to like W the Court and Tuscany a lot, and those 2 are the absolute worse W hotels IMO, ever. So, is LM better than W Tuscany and the Court? Absolutely. But, W Times Square is far superior than this hotel. The fantastic suites (which I always get) can't even be put in the same category as the junior suite at Le Meridien. Even W Hoboken's standard room beats LM out of the water.

Ah--I knew you were talking about those 2, again, worst W in the system. W Lexington, well, we all know how bad that hotel is. I like the bathroom at Le Meridien, but everything else in the room needs to go. It absoslutely needs a renovation, so do W Court and Tuscany.

YMMV, as always, but I guess I've been to plenty of outstanding hotels in the Starwood system in the last few months - W South Beach, W Washington DC, W Hoboken, W Hong Kong, Westin Sydney, etc (feel free to look at the pics in my album) that I can no longer tolerate mediocre properties like Le Meridien NYC.

Sorry for my late reply, didn't discover this post till today.

After a very bad experience at the Court, I'm not heading back there any time soon even if those two properties were my favorite in NYC for many years.

I hate Time Square and avoid all properties around there. I have stayed at the W Time Square and I have never received an upgrade, but I absolutely hate the area.

That leaves the St. Regis and W Union Square as the only Starwood properties that are better than The Le Med in NYC. Unfortunately, my company does not allow me to spend 500+ USD for a hotel in NYC when we have a corp rate at all other Starwood at 189...

mcgahat Sep 22, 2009 9:52 pm

I stayed at this property over the past weekend and wasn't quite sure what to expect given the mixed reviews. Overall it was a good stay and I would recommend this property.

Check In: Very friendly check in agent immediately ended his conversation when he saw me walking towards the counter and quickly obtained my details. He ask me as a plat if I would like a jr. suite or a park view room and we selected the jr. suite. I do not know the the plat amenities etc as I only selected the points.

Room: We had a room on the 15th floor no real view. I did not realize there is actually a second bank of elevators around the corner from the front desk and I assume those actually go to higher floors. Our room had only a view of the building across the street so not much to see but perhaps the higher floors have a better city view. We did not care to be honest and even though our room was right off the elevator it was very quiet and comfortable. I thought it was perfect size with the bathroom being quite large especially for NYC. The room also had a nice work area with the only annoyance the fact that the electrical outlets for the desk are actually below the desk with no way hole the the desk to put the power cables below other than to drape them on the front of the desk. Relatively minor but annoying. Internet was something like $16/day and they have wireless and wired access but we did not use either so I can not comment on the speed. I did not find any decent wifi alternative while in the room. The tv is not an LCD/Plasma but is of good size and I was surprised the swivel entertainment center actually worked as well as it did and was handy for changing from living area to bed area. The entertainment area also included a VCR and DVD player. Overall we found the room to be pleasant and comfortable. It didnt blow us away but we liked it a lot.

Fitness: I did not end up using the fitness area but info in the room made it look like one of the best fitness areas you would ever see at a hotel. It appears you can get to the fitness area via a bar code on the room key which is a pretty odd shape in comparison to normal room keys.

Dining: We only had drinks outdoors at the french restaurant and found it reasonably priced and service was good. I do not understand the wait in the long line for a burger but assume it is good for people to stand in line for it. I found the room service prices high even by NYC hotel standards especially with so many places to dine nearby. There is a Thai restaurant next door and has a nice environment (cozy) but if you want that authentic thai flavor it does not have that despite all thai people working there. I found it pretty good but my thai wife wasnt so impressed. :)

Location: I find the location excellent. We took taxis mostly on this trip so I cant comment on the subway lines nearby but given its proximity to times square etc it should be pretty convenient to many subway lines. Central park is just a few blocks a way and times square is a nice stroll away. I much prefer this location over being in times square itself. The Sheratons are just around the corner and although I have never stayed at either....I could not imagine choosing them over this property based on location.

Checkout: I have not idea what the actual checkout time is as I never saw it posted anyplace but since I am plat I just left when I needed to (about 1.30pm) and nobody seemed to care. The guys downstairs were happy to hold the bags and I found them pleasant to everyone despite being extremely busy with people wanting them to hold bags etc.

Here are some pics that I took of the room. I hope you find them useful despite my obvious lack of photography skills.

Shower, large and good pressure.
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02343.JPG

Towel storage in shower
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02344.JPG

Robe, only one
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02345.JPG

Bathroom vanity
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02346.JPG

Room entry
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02347.JPG

Work area
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02348.JPG

Living area
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02349.JPG

Living area 2
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02350.JPG

View of bed area with TV facing bedroom
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02351.JPG

View of bed area with TV facing living area
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02352.JPG

Bedroom closet
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02353.JPG

Bedroom clock and night stand
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02354.JPG

Bedroom wall mirror
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02355.JPG

Bed
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02356.JPG

Bed and window
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02357.JPG

VCR and DVD players
http://www.indyoffice.net/FT/nyclm0909/DSC02359.JPG

DesertRat Sep 22, 2009 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer (Post 12353657)
The burger was good, and it was kind of cool seeing a dive like that off the lobby of a hotel like the LPM. It's a good alternative to the usual dining options at New York hotels, but be warned: It's cash only! [/SIZE]

Actually, they do allow room charges at the burger joint. You just have to ask.

Alex_I Sep 23, 2009 11:46 am

Mixed experience

Stayed one weekend night in September. Hotel was full with some lines for check-in around 11 a.m.
Positives:
a) Location
b) Clean and spacious junior suite
Negatives:
a) No designated check-in for Plat/Gold so I had to wait.
b) Was told that I was upgraded to suite as Plat but the room was not ready. Came back at 2:30 p.m. and was given a key to a ... regular room. Called from the room about upgrade only to get "wait a minute" and 5 min of silence after that. Returned to the reception and waited another 20 min to get a junior suite.
c) Denied late checkout for a Plat. I do not think this is a conference or resort location.
d) No complimentary newspaper or coffee.
e) Requested an extra blanket for my son and got a fleece one with a stain on it.
f) Somewhat tired furniture, minimalistic variety of toiletries for a suite in LeMeridien.

PHX_SOUS Sep 23, 2009 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzaman (Post 12421628)

I stayed there with free weekend nights 1st earlier in September. Had 2 rooms for 3 nights each and both rooms were upgraded to Jr Suites without me even having to ask. It was a fairly busy weekend with a large French tennis contingent in town for the US Open.

So I'm saying there's a chance :)

kyushuman Sep 24, 2009 5:49 am

I am staying there this weekend, and NYC SPG hotel availability is very tight! I am guessing that, with the "no blackout dates" policy, along with the FWN expiring at the end of the month, it's "use-em-or-lose-em!"
So, NO award availability, for the past 3 weeks of checking, at any W or the Westin in Manhattan. St. Regis (Level 7 and so unbookable) available; Le Parker was available last week but not now, so I'm glad I booked.
4P SoHo and Chelsea are available now for the weekend, so was tempted but I think I'll keep this one.
If we REALLY want 2 beds, should I pay $99/night extra for the Jr. Suite upgrade guarantee? I see there is a $30/night rollaway bed charge so if we don't get upgraded via Plat status, we'll be paying something anyway.....
Thoughts?

PTahCha Sep 24, 2009 8:57 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman (Post 12429858)
If we REALLY want 2 beds, should I pay $99/night extra for the Jr. Suite upgrade guarantee? I see there is a $30/night rollaway bed charge so if we don't get upgraded via Plat status, we'll be paying something anyway.....
Thoughts?

The junior suite doesn't have a second bed. You do get a "couch", however.

kyushuman Sep 24, 2009 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 12430795)

Thanks for the reply. That's what I mean--the Junior Suite would at least guarantee a second place to sleep.

lerasp Sep 26, 2009 3:55 pm

stayed last night on FWN, I'm SPG Plat. Have to say i was not too impressed. The hotel was sold out (confirmed by calling SPG reservations) and they upgraded us to Park View room on 31st floor, so that was nice. check in was smooth and friendly. However, i doubt i would pay for this hotel. Gripes: window didn't open (it's supposed to but didn't), no turndown service, no bathrobes, no slippers, toiletries are very average. Bathroom was tiny (i'm ok with it for NY), but the finishings in the bathroom were super-cheap - formaica countertop, flimsy showerhead (but good water-pressure). It's surprising to see a regular (non-flat) TV in a hotel of this caliber. As others mentioned bed was ok, but a far, far cry from Westin or W beds.
the window not opening +no fan in the bathroom made the room really musty and humid after 2 showers. very unpleasant.
Checked out the gym - it's great, but Wii wasn't functioning (they advertise it in the room).
I've also gotten used to better hotels having a letter from a manager in your room and something small (a chocolate, bottle of water, etc) to go with it. not required but a good touch for a classy hotel. here - nothing.
we had good brunch at Norma's.
overall - good location and the price is right. Not worth $300-$400 is goes for.

FatManInNYC Sep 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Nice upgrade on FWN

I stayed last night as well on FWN, and was very fortunate to get a junior suite on the 21st floor.

I rather liked the room, it had a "Mad Men" feel to it. The cheecky copy on the various documents and stickers was well-done. The media center is on a pole and swivels to accomodate viewing from either the bed room or the living room.

The bed was fine - no complaints. The shower had good pressure, but the head was flimsy and I couldn't get the side wand to work. My towels seemed a little old and hard.

My room did come with a bathrobe, and I liked the bath amenities, few that they were.

Check-in/out was quick. No complaints. Given late check-out (2pm).

My three genuine complaints: wireless was $16/24 hours, mini-bar was priced at 500% the local quicki-mart and there was no power strip on the desk.

Thanks, SPG, for the FWN and the resulting experience at a property I would typically never experience!

jmr50 Sep 27, 2009 1:40 pm

I also stayed here on Friday night using my Free Weekend Night. I was pretty underwhelmed.

Things started off fairly poorly with a 10 minute wait at check-in. I then received no SPG recognition at all and a sixth floor room. When I asked about a Platinum amenity (none was offered and she was rushing me away), she sighed, complained the connection to Starwood was down, and checked something on her computer. Finally, she concluded I was SPG Platinum and offered 1000 points. I inquired about the room (low floor, non-upgraded) and was told they were sold out, and they couldn't do anything.

Okay, so maybe that was the case. I got to the room itself and was still underwhelmed. The key cards are a funny size and shape, which don't fit easily in a breast-pocket. The bathroom was a reasonable size for Manhattan, but I agree with the comments on the shower head being inferior. I also was pretty surprised at the crappy TV set-up (CONSIDERABLY worse than the 4 Points Times Square) and the lousy desk area (only 1 power jack, not much room to work). The Aeron chair was nice, however.

I also didn't really like the bed. There's no box spring, and the bed ends up being a bit close to the ground. I'm very tall, and I wasn't happy with the ergonomics. it was pretty firm, but I didn't sleep as well as I hoped. The general aesthetics of the room were fine, but not overwhelming.

Ultimately, yes, pretty surprising. I expected something much nicer.

tommy777 Sep 27, 2009 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 12430795)

There's a pullout couch with a comforter inside it

Originally Posted by lerasp (Post 12442632)
stayed last night on FWN, I'm SPG Plat. Have to say i was not too impressed. The hotel was sold out (confirmed by calling SPG reservations) and they upgraded us to Park View room on 31st floor, so that was nice. check in was smooth and friendly. However, i doubt i would pay for this hotel. Gripes: window didn't open (it's supposed to but didn't), no turndown service, no bathrobes, no slippers, toiletries are very average. Bathroom was tiny (i'm ok with it for NY), but the finishings in the bathroom were super-cheap - formaica countertop, flimsy showerhead (but good water-pressure). It's surprising to see a regular (non-flat) TV in a hotel of this caliber. As others mentioned bed was ok, but a far, far cry from Westin or W beds.
the window not opening +no fan in the bathroom made the room really musty and humid after 2 showers. very unpleasant.
Checked out the gym - it's great, but Wii wasn't functioning (they advertise it in the room).
I've also gotten used to better hotels having a letter from a manager in your room and something small (a chocolate, bottle of water, etc) to go with it. not required but a good touch for a classy hotel. here - nothing.
we had good brunch at Norma's.
overall - good location and the price is right. Not worth $300-$400 is goes for.

Our corp rate is 189 including HSIA. I'm pretty sure this place is worth that kind of money. Also, I have found much better rates than 3-400 bucks on a regular basis without a corp code. When it's 3-400 bucks, the Dump alert Sheraton on Time Square is the same as the Le Med. At the end of the day, there are 2, maybe 3 Starwoods in NYC that's better than the Le Med.

Originally Posted by jmr50 (Post 12446063)
I also stayed here on Friday night using my Free Weekend Night. I was pretty underwhelmed.

Things started off fairly poorly with a 10 minute wait at check-in. I then received no SPG recognition at all and a sixth floor room. When I asked about a Platinum amenity (none was offered and she was rushing me away), she sighed, complained the connection to Starwood was down, and checked something on her computer. Finally, she concluded I was SPG Platinum and offered 1000 points. I inquired about the room (low floor, non-upgraded) and was told they were sold out, and they couldn't do anything.

Okay, so maybe that was the case. I got to the room itself and was still underwhelmed. The key cards are a funny size and shape, which don't fit easily in a breast-pocket. The bathroom was a reasonable size for Manhattan, but I agree with the comments on the shower head being inferior. I also was pretty surprised at the crappy TV set-up (CONSIDERABLY worse than the 4 Points Times Square) and the lousy desk area (only 1 power jack, not much room to work). The Aeron chair was nice, however.

I also didn't really like the bed. There's no box spring, and the bed ends up being a bit close to the ground. I'm very tall, and I wasn't happy with the ergonomics. it was pretty firm, but I didn't sleep as well as I hoped. The general aesthetics of the room were fine, but not overwhelming.

Ultimately, yes, pretty surprising. I expected something much nicer.

Sounds like yet another review were an upgrade was missed and because of the missed upgrade you had to look reeeaaaaaly hard to find something to complain about. :rolleyes: You got a 1000 points instead of the 500 you are entitled to and you complain about the check in process? :rolleyes:

jmr50 Sep 27, 2009 3:42 pm

Sounds like yet another review were an upgrade was missed and because of the missed upgrade you had to look reeeaaaaaly hard to find something to complain about. :rolleyes: You got a 1000 points instead of the 500 you are entitled to and you complain about the check in process? :rolleyes:
I haven't gotten the points, so I don't know what I got, but that's not the point. My point is that aside from the fancy artwork in the lobby, I'd actually have a nicer stay at the 4P TS. Room size is a bit larger at the PM, but the bed is better, TV is much better, the bathrooms are better, there's free wifi. Oh, and it's about half the price. An upgrade might make a difference in my opinion, but if I'm paying out of my pocket and don't have that as a possibility, there's no reason to pay more.

kyushuman Sep 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Here now at LPM.
Lovely stay! Using 2 free nights.
I have stayed at the two complete dump Sheratons a few blocks from here. Paid room rates were similar for these nights, and in that case I would DEFINITELY pick the Le Parker Meridien.
Stayed Saturday to Monday.
Checked in at 1PM, offered a "nice park view room". I asked about Junior suites--and was told none were available then. I offered that we were going out soon anyway, so didn't have to check in now--and she found one. We left our bags at the front.
Lovely room on the 7th floor! Shower is fine, very nice room set-up with the revolving TV. Decent toiletries, nice desk alcove, like the furniture. Friend slept in the pull-out couch, it was ok too.
Elevators slow--only 3!
Central location, less than 2 blks from NQRW and F lines.

Here is my 2 cents:
This hotel, for a standard, kinda-renovated room, at $400 rack rate (which they were charging for these nights!) would be VERY disappointing. But for a Plat with decent chance at the Jr. Suite upgrade, I'd recommend it.
Gorgeous gym--but that example tells very much about this hotel:
Free for me, $10 for my guest (because he's not Plat!). Huh?
No coffee maker/kettle in room. Small coffee $8, Large $14; those are in addition to the $5 delivery fee+16%tax.
Signs all over the refrigerator saying "THIS IS NOT A FRIDGE"-so don't put your stuff inside; the hotel will provide one "for a fee". Yuck.
Pretty much a decent hotel for NYC when you can get a decent rate; but leaves a bit of a foul taste in your mouth after all, with the yucky, unnecessary add-on charges that may not go over so well now that the economy is less strong.

SportsTech Sep 27, 2009 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post 12446203)

+1. Not specifically piling on jmr...this thread has turned into "I like this hotel, I got an upgrade, it's one of the best SPG properties in NYC (which is true)" or "this place is underwhelming, I didn't get an upgrade and the front desk has an attitude (also sometimes true IME). Net net, if you're a plat and the hotel isn't full you'll get an upgrade to a decent room and it's a decent hotel. Not a St Regis or a European Luxury Collection property, but an ok hotel.

e-guru Sep 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Count me as one happy camper on the "got an upgrade to a Junior Suite as a measly Gold!"

-Pretty subtle entrance to the hotel on 57th (through the bar and definitely the back way in). Even the 56th street entrance is nondescript especially at 1:00 in the morning without people and cabs around

-The very late check-in probably had everything to do with my luck in scoring upgrade to a Junior Suite on the 22nd floor looking across the street into office buildings. Allowed a 4PM late checkout as well; just in time to catch the Bolt Bus back to Philly

-Swiveling TV fixture separating the sleeping area and sitting area is nice... but outdated with a heavy CRT. FWIW, the bolts attaching the metal plate to the rotating wood structure is 3/4th gone in room 1814 resulting in a potentially dangerous situation. Probably should have said something to management... :rolleyes:

-Paying for internet sucks but that's where iPhone tethering comes in handy @:-)

-Forbid my wife from even looking at the minibar funny in case we got charged for shifting M&Ms. Besides, the Burger Joint and Normas were way better.

-Wasn't there to work but the spacious desk/ dinette table would have been more than adequate

-Toiletries were nice (the wife liberated a few extras) but the towels, while thick, had the omnipresent hard commercial laundry process roughness. My butt requires SOFT... apparently :p

-Courteous, helpful but unobtrusive staff. Perfect.

-My only real gripe is that of the 3 elevators serving the floors 2-20ish, only the ONE on the far left was working the two nights I stayed. Not sure if this was coincidence but unlikely since we rode that thing about a dozen times during our stay.

-All in all, a very nice hotel in NYC. Not sure I'd spring for the $5-600 going rate for the Junior Suite though.

and we're sure the shot glasses are for the guests to take... right?

dtremit Oct 2, 2009 10:58 am

Not adding a whole lot to the previous trip reports, but I was also there last weekend on free nights (Fri-Sun). Was upgraded to a city view junior suite (3508). It was lovely after I noticed the second line of the room location sign:
< 3501-3509
3508-3516 >
The service, on the few occasions when I asked for it, was efficient and pleasant, if not gracious -- but I have given up on gracious in New York.

A few observations:

• As previously mentioned, there is no priority check-in for SPG members. This is an unfortunate oversight; I had a fairly long wait at check-in on Friday afternoon.
  • Had the same problems e-guru had with the 23-42 elevators, one seemed to be out of service on fri/sat and waits were long. Think it was back in service on Sunday.
  • I hate the automatic billing minibars, and the note explaining them borders on rude. A junior suite should IMHO have a refrigerator without a special request and a fee.
  • Wireless internet ($16ish) can't be billed to the room, only wired can -- and they only furnish cables on request. They should be in the room.
  • Loved the bathroom, toiletries were nice but unremarkable. Didn't have a problem with my towels.
  • Strange misstep from housekeeping: I requested a razor because I'd forgotten mine, and they brought one -- but no shaving cream! Worst disposable razor I have ever used. Would have rather paid $10 for something decent, honestly.
  • Cocktails in the bar are $20, just so folks are aware. $2 more than the Waldorf!
  • Oversized keys are annoying. Don't fit in a wallet and hard to fit in a pocket. Clearly dreamed up by someone who carries a purse.
  • Umbrella in room is a very nice touch. Saw a lot in use in the neighborhood on Sunday.
  • Liked the little French bistro, which was the only restaurant I tried. Prices seemed reasonable for NYC. Room service is steep, not surprisingly; my steak sandwich came to $38. Good, generous sandwich, though.
  • There are a lot of fast/cheap options in the neighborhood, better than the mess of chains in Times Square. Great dining options if you walk to 9th Ave as well -- had a nice casual dinner at Kashkaval with a friend on Friday.

All in all, I think LPM is now my preferred hotel above about 30th St. The location is ideal for midtown -- easy access to transit, the park, and Columbus Circle. On location I prefer it to the W NY, W TS, and Westin TS. It is a nicer hotel than all of those but the W TS, to which it seems fairly comparable -- but better with upgrades from what I can tell.

Pickles Nov 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Here on a biz trip for a couple of nights. Client is paying, some kind of corporate rate at $289/night. Not my dime, and I am SPG dirt.

In one word: whatever.

Check-in was efficient but curt. Room is smallish, but OK, looking over some office building, nothing to write home about. Amenities OK, nothing special or memorable.

I know NY is in general a dump when it comes to mid-range hotels, so I figure for $289/night this is smack in the middle of acceptable. But it always torques me that for that rate I can stay in true 5* luxury in many, many places in Asia, including cities that put NY to shame on the cost of living.

xman712 Nov 23, 2009 7:48 am

Seems like the consensus is sort of mixed - does anyone have an opinion on if they would choose the LM for a few nights the week of NYE? I've stayed at the W on Lex several times and getting sick of how small the rooms are. Have never gotten upgraded there either.

So which would you take?

* Either Sheraton

* FP Midtown

* LM

* W (on Lex)

gleff Nov 23, 2009 9:04 am

Parker Meridien is certainly better than both Sheratons and the Worst W in the World.

There are other better properties. This one doesn't boast a lounge, and there have been mixed reports on elite recognition, but a junior suite here (while not the most comfortable bed, and rather cheap furnishings, but an above-average bathroom) as a Plat upgrade is good and better than good for the price and in comparison to the options mentioned above.

xman712 Nov 23, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks for the quick feedback! Will keep my reservation at the LM.

boifromtroy Nov 23, 2009 9:38 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 12866511)
Parker Meridien is certainly better than both Sheratons and the Worst W in the World..

...But he is going to NYC not San Diego! (W)

I will be at LPM on Thursday night... Will report back if anyone has any questions... Found an AAA "Special Rate" that was in the $200's, which seemed quite good for Thanksgiving weekend...

MilesBuzz Nov 23, 2009 10:26 am

Having tried out 4 different hotels during my trip to NYC last week, I have to say that the free-stay (using Plat award) at the Le Parker Meridien was the best! We were upgraded to a Junior-Suite and had a throughly enjoyable stay. The decor of LPM is more modern compared to the 2 very old Sheratons in Times Square! The burger joint downstairs is also not too bad...although the queue can get very long. We choose to eat there around 8pm.

GuysInCT Nov 23, 2009 12:04 pm

I stayed here this weekend (plat gift), got upgraded to Junior Suite. Much, much better than the two Sheratons, and I also liked it better than the Chelsea Four Points (my previous NYC favorite, mostly due to location). The stay was perfect, no complaints, they certainly beat my expectations. Plus Starbucks directly across the street.

If staying in NYC again, this will be my choice.

xman712 Nov 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Starbucks across the street is huge! :)

Pickles Nov 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 12864026)
Here on a biz trip for a couple of nights. Client is paying, some kind of corporate rate at $289/night. Not my dime, and I am SPG dirt.

In one word: whatever.

Check-in was efficient but curt. Room is smallish, but OK, looking over some office building, nothing to write home about. Amenities OK, nothing special or memorable.

I know NY is in general a dump when it comes to mid-range hotels, so I figure for $289/night this is smack in the middle of acceptable. But it always torques me that for that rate I can stay in true 5* luxury in many, many places in Asia, including cities that put NY to shame on the cost of living.

Went to the Burger Joint for dinner, pretty good. Not mega-outstanding killer burger, but pretty good for a quick dinner. However, there is no way I would have figured out the place even existed if I hadn't read about it here in FT. Hidden behind some curtains, no sign or anything? What's the deal? Anyway, thanks FT!

SanDiego1K Nov 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 12869450)
Hidden behind some curtains, no sign or anything?

Hotel couldn't buy out the lease, so now shrouds the place and avoids all publicity of it.

Apparently you can call from your room and place your order, then come and pick it up. If I crave a burger, that's what I will do next time.

troyb Nov 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by xman712 (Post 12867642)
Starbucks across the street is huge! :)

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a spot in Manhattan that doesn't have a Starbucks across the street.

ber10kmp Nov 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Spent over 40 nites as the Parker Meridien in 2009, much preferred to either Sheraton or the Westin Times Square. Received an upgrade to a Jr Suite everytime, usually was checking in on Sunday, never received a park view though.
Likes - Great location, much quieter than the Sheraton or Westin TS, size of Jr Suite, desk to work at, nice bathroom(exccept for 1 thing). Good room service, loved the milk shakes!!
Dislikes - Wirelss internet access was only in some rooms, and you needed a code, which may or may not be in the room, wired have to pay. Could never figure out how to turn on the shower without getting wet, poor design IMHO. Outrageouse storage charges to keep a bag for a week.

In short a nice hotel, would definitely return, much better than the comparable SPG alternatives.

Regards

Pickles Nov 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 12869488)
Hotel couldn't buy out the lease, so now shrouds the place and avoids all publicity of it.

Interesting, do you have more context? I thought they were being Schragery or something, keeping it like some kind of an "insider's wink wink" it-place.

But even if it was out in the open, the place is a total dive, how could it be in keeping with the rest of the hotel's public areas with all that glass and marble?

Boraxo Nov 24, 2009 10:13 pm

I have been staying at this hotel since 1986, long before it was affiliated with SPG. It has been consistently high quality and never disappointed. And the rates are often far more reasonable than competitors that pretend to be 4* quality. Ideal location, too, IMO.

Of course, I can't attest to whether they will kiss *** of every plat that walks through the door. But for everyone else I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Canada101 Dec 6, 2009 6:22 am

Great experience

I just spent 5 nights at the Parker Meridien New York and truly enjoyed it. The location is unbeatable.

As a Plat, I was upgraded to a junior suite which was spacious, well-appointed and very comfortable. The staff recognized me as a Plat and every courtesy was extended.

I am a regular visitor to NYC and have stayed at the W Times Square, the Westin Times Square and at both Sheratons near Times Square. After this stay, the Parker Meridien is now my favorite property in New York (with the Westin coming in a close second).