FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/816095-le-parker-meridien-new-york-city-master-thread-leaving-jan-4-2018-a.html)

BlissWorld May 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Does anyone here know the difference between a regular Junior Suite vs a Tower Junior Suite?

Is it just that tower junior suites are on higher floors?

sbtinme May 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 11750126)
Does anyone here know the difference between a regular Junior Suite vs a Tower Junior Suite?

Is it just that tower junior suites are on higher floors?

Bliss -- that's my understanding from my last stay there. I was UGd to a Tower Junior Suite (I was on the floor just below the top floor, where the pool is) that, AFAIK, was just like any other std jr suite on property. I just had a higher view.

I really liked this hotel. I've been in far nicer suites before, but on the whole, this property is very solid. All aspects of service were polished ... from the concierge to the housekeeping staff. The lobby bar was wonderfully exotic; we saw a number of celebs (and semi-celebs) enjoying cocktails there almost daily. The hotel was also very quiet - a must for me in NYC. A big difference from the madness at so many other NYC hotels.

The only part of this hotel that really needed attention was the top floor pool and sitting areas. They all looked like 1982. The lounge chairs were totally Holiday Inn and the windows around the pool area had fogged inside, making the wonderful views, well, unviewable. For a reasonable cost, the top floor amenities could and should be renovated to be in step with the rest of this hotel.

BlissWorld May 14, 2009 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme (Post 11750567)
Bliss -- that's my understanding from my last stay there. I was UGd to a Tower Junior Suite (I was on the floor just below the top floor, where the pool is) that, AFAIK, was just like any other std jr suite on property. I just had a higher view.

I really liked this hotel. I've been in far nicer suites before, but on the whole, this property is very solid. All aspects of service were polished ... from the concierge to the housekeeping staff. The lobby bar was wonderfully exotic; we saw a number of celebs (and semi-celebs) enjoying cocktails there almost daily. The hotel was also very quiet - a must for me in NYC. A big difference from the madness at so many other NYC hotels.

The only part of this hotel that really needed attention was the top floor pool and sitting areas. They all looked like 1982. The lounge chairs were totally Holiday Inn and the windows around the pool area had fogged inside, making the wonderful views, well, unviewable. For a reasonable cost, the top floor amenities could and should be renovated to be in step with the rest of this hotel.

Thanks for the info, sbtinme! ^

courcoison May 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Parker Meridien bathroom amenities

Good Evening.
Does anyboby know if the Parker Meridien provides Hermes bathroom amenities?
Thanks.

AZ Travels the World May 14, 2009 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by courcoison (Post 11751212)
Good Evening.

They do not. They have some tiny little skinny bottles (they have this tall, skinny, narrow design theme going on all over the place) of something else -- I can't recall the name of it.

SanDiego1K May 14, 2009 10:09 pm

I find that most Le Meridiens have now run out of Hermes. A few (such as the late LM Singapore) saved what they had for plat members, but even they were down to only small boxes of soap a year back.

andymo99 May 14, 2009 11:03 pm

By the way, it seems a lot of people on the thread mention climate control problems in the room. I noticed during my stay last week that there was a sticker placed on the thermostat, written in cutesy thematic LM language that you should contact them if having trouble adjusting the temp to your liking and they will help you with it.

Perhaps a response to frequent complaints.

AZ Travels the World May 14, 2009 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by andymo99 (Post 11751941)
By the way, it seems a lot of people on the thread mention climate control problems in the room. I noticed during my stay last week that there was a sticker placed on the thermostat, written in cutesy thematic LM language that you should contact them if having trouble adjusting the temp to your liking and they will help you with it.

Right. That was there when I stayed at the hotel a couple months back. The room was too hot and I couldn't not seem to cool it down. So I called and they promptly sent an 'engineer' to the room to help me . . . open the window.

gleff May 15, 2009 8:35 am

I'm here now and found that I had to turn the A/C down to ~ 63 degrees in order to get the system to kick on. Basically it seems as though the thermostat is off by about 7 degrees.

gleff May 15, 2009 8:36 am

Originally Posted by courcoison (Post 11751212)
Good Evening.
Thanks.

Just walked into the bathroom to check :)

Peter Thomas Roth

NBSPGMEMBER May 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: A/C at LPM, cost cutting like everywhere else.

stevens397 Jun 7, 2009 4:43 pm

My business partner and I just used our free Platinum night there (with wives of course). At check-in, we were offered 11th floor Junior Suite or high floor park view. I love suites but we asked if we could see the park view room. Given a key, went to the room on the top floor and guess what - it faced AWAY from the park! Went down and we were given a Junior Suite on the 32nd floor.

Lovely room. Only downside I could see was the lack of available outlets - if you want to plug in your computer or recharge your phone, you'll have to work to find an outlet. Couldn't call it true luxury but the room was very comfortable and I love the location.

The room was available on Cash & Points that night. Truly a bargain for Manhattan. My guess is that after a free night, we'll be back again and again, especially having read that Junior Suite upgrades are standard for Platinums. Then again, without a double stay promotion, this could be it!

wwwebster0 Jun 20, 2009 1:47 am

You all may be interested to know that this hotel participates in Priceline name your own price. I got it by chance for $120/night vs. $269 on SPG.com. We shall see how they treat me, a mere Gold.

gleff Jun 20, 2009 5:52 am

Originally Posted by wwwebster0 (Post 11938818)
You all may be interested to know that this hotel participates in Priceline name your own price. I got it by chance for $120/night vs. $269 on SPG.com. We shall see how they treat me, a mere Gold.

Your Gold status shouldn't be relevant on a Priceline booking. But I will be interested in your report back to see whether you get a 'priceline room' or if you're treated like any 'ol ordinary guest without status making an entry-level booking.

NJUPINTHEAIR Jun 20, 2009 6:36 am

My sister-in-law and husband had a recent midweek stay on an advance purchase SPG website booking and they were upgraded to a junior suite and they only hold Gold status.

PHL Jun 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Excellent stay here last night on my Platinum gift award. This may be the best value-property in NYC to use that gift since most of the properties (i.e. W's and ST. Regis) are all cat 6 and higher.

Upgraded to the junior suite. Good space, as described many times in this thread. Since I arrived later on a Saturday afternoon, I found a parking spot directly across the street. The meters must be fed through midnight Saturday. Sunday is free. And, since the meters take credit cards, I was able to print out a ticket good until 1159pm for $12.

Compared to the parking garage price of $50/24 hours, I'd say it was a good economical decision. So - if you're driving and arriving mid-late day Saturday, look for a spot before handing your keys over to the garage....

jjgollum Jun 30, 2009 8:10 pm

Anyone know if any of the junior suites have twin or double beds?

There are 3 of us traveling and am concerned that by requesting sleeping for the third person, it would put us out of the running for a Platinum upgrade to the junior suite.

BlissWorld Jun 30, 2009 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jjgollum (Post 11994764)
Anyone know if any of the junior suites have twin or double beds?

There are 3 of us traveling and am concerned that by requesting sleeping for the third person, it would put us out of the running for a Platinum upgrade to the junior suite.

I believe junior suites only have Kings. However, they have a double sofa bed, and you can request another rollaway getting a total of 3 beds.

christianj Jul 1, 2009 9:06 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 11939266)
My sister-in-law and husband had a recent midweek stay on an advance purchase SPG website booking and they were upgraded to a junior suite and they only hold Gold status.

Lucky! I just completed a quick one night stay there (my first) as part of a 4 day 3 *W hotel (LeM, W TS and W Court) hop. As a lowly Gold I don't think the room I got was any kind of upgrade except maybe the view. I was on the 29th floor in a pretty basic king room but there was a very nice Central Park view. Bath products were Peter Thomas Roth and I also had issues with the AC and the ancient iron in the room. Old style TV was also definitely a change. I do have to say that I quite like the location of the hotel in comparison to most other *W I have stayed at in NYC (except for the W TS which is still my favorite overall hotel even with the hectic location). I would probably stay at the LeM again and have it booked for a trip to NYC in December when I will definitely have Plat. status again.....and can hope for a nice upgrade.

NBSPGMEMBER Jul 1, 2009 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by christianj (Post 11997061)
... and I also had issues with the AC.

What kind of issues did you have? It's now July and they still have issues with the A/C? I have a stay planned here, but if the room is an oven, I'll pass and stay elsewhere.

christianj Jul 1, 2009 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER (Post 11998319)
What kind of issues did you have?

Maybe the term "issues" was a little harsh but I did have to set the temperature much lower than I usually do to achieve a comfortable temperature in the room. This would jive with gleff's comment that the actual room temperature was off a couple of degrees with the termostat reading. Definitely would not call it an oven but I can't remember the last time I had to set the temp in a room much lower than 66 to achieve a temp I was comfortable with. (definitely not as bad as the aloft AC units I have experienced!!) I think the way the AC vents come up by the desk area under the windows doesn't exactly help cool the room too.

NBSPGMEMBER Jul 1, 2009 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by christianj (Post 11998453)
I think the way the AC vents come up by the desk area under the windows doesn't exactly help cool the room too.

Are these individual A/C by the window or is it a forced central air system?

zmaniacz Jul 7, 2009 4:20 pm

Just did a 3 night stay here over the 4th of July weekend. Booked on free weekend nights and Gold status got me a jr suite on the 15th floor and a 4PM checkout on Sunday.

Definitely great location, nice and easy walk to the park or to the theatres.

Temperature was okay, didn't have any trouble keeping ourselves cool.

Only complaint would be our old CRT TV that had some color issues. I did like the swiveley entertainment center thingy though.

DUKEswoosh Jul 9, 2009 10:02 pm

Le Parker GM Email

Does anyone know the email for the GM of Le Parker New York? I have a stay coming up and there wasn't an address listed in the confirmation email. Thanks!

Starwood Lurker II Jul 10, 2009 12:58 am

Originally Posted by DUKEswoosh (Post 12042292)
Does anyone know the email for the GM of Le Parker New York? I have a stay coming up and there wasn't an address listed in the confirmation email. Thanks!

Hi DUKEswoosh,

Unfortunately, I do not give out the contact address of GM in our properties. If you need assistance from the property, you might like to write to them at their published email:

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

dingo Jul 27, 2009 5:30 am

I've got a one nighter coming up and would welcome any recent reviews from plats or otherwise.

boolean64 Jul 28, 2009 7:36 am

Had a one night stay here last week.

Positives...

Upgraded to a suite on the 39th floor. It was technically one room as there was no door, but the TV tower served as a wall divider so it felt like two rooms.

Very impressed with the decor. It had all the modern-ness of a W but without the trendyiness.

Huge bathroom and great shower (note, no tub)

Burger Joint was tasty (burger place just off the check-in desk that does nothing but burgers and fries. Line out the door but it moves quickly)

The quality of the F&B in the lobby was good. Had a coffee in the morning and a drink in the evening at Nave. Both were tasty and the room itself is impressive. Had a late breakfast at the breakfast place whose name i'm forgetting. Also very good.

Negatives...

Big hotel but without sufficient infrastructure... I think three elevators for the 24-42 floors. Only two or three people at the check-in desk, etc.

The prices for F&B I felt were over the top, even for Manhattan ($6 for a cappuchino, $15 (? It may have even been $18) for a cocktail, breakfast would have easily been $40 if not for restaurant week)

Not necessarily a negative, but for someone who's used to Union Square and the east side of Mid-town the neighborhood was not ideal. Still pretty touristy in that area between the park, times square, and Rockefeller Center.

Overall, I loved the hotel, just wish they would build a duplicate on the east side.

dingo Aug 3, 2009 2:29 pm

I finished my stay and really like this hotel.

I was on a fully prepaid rate booked at spg.com...reasoanble rate for the city.

I tried to check in right around lunch but the room they had blocked me into wasn't ready; it was a jr. suite with a city view (they said all such rooms are city view).

I hung out in the bar area, used the free wifi and had a sandwich.

The room was ready around 3:00 after my second meeting so I checked in and got settled. The room was two rooms, though there was no door breaking them apart. The bathroom was large, the shower was huge and the toiletries were all good stuff and plentiful. I loved the free wifi at this hotel.

I didn't eat at the burger joint as the line was constantly a block long. I did eat at the little bar/rest attached to the hotel that isn't officially part of the hotel (forget the name). I had some spicy lamb sausage and pesto pasta...both yummy.

I'd certainly return to this hotel over the two Sheratons and possibly over the W Times Square depending on my meeting location and budget. I feel I received good treatment as a plat and the hotel was nice for the dining and working that I needed to get done.

gleff Aug 3, 2009 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 12168235)
I didn't eat at the burger joint as the line was constantly a block long.

You're up in your room. Call concierge. Have them connect you to Burger Joint. Place order on phone. Wait 10 minutes. Go downstairs, walk past the entire line right up to the front, stand beside the first person in line. Tell the cashier you have a pickup order. They'll get you your food while you pay and everyone else waits.

dingo Aug 4, 2009 7:29 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 12169390)
You're up in your room. Call concierge. Have them connect you to Burger Joint. Place order on phone. Wait 10 minutes. Go downstairs, walk past the entire line right up to the front, stand beside the first person in line. Tell the cashier you have a pickup order. They'll get you your food while you pay and everyone else waits.

^ Good to know for next time Gleff.

NJUPINTHEAIR Aug 4, 2009 7:38 am

Dingo,

If you mean Seppis, the French bistro, it should be part of the hotel to earn points as it is listed on their website as one of their restaurants. If you have your bill you should submit it to SPG.

NJ

Fuocotecnico Aug 4, 2009 8:19 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 12169390)

I will definitely use this trick next week. Never tried a hamburger there, a lot of people are telling me it's definitely worth a visit...

ACfly Aug 4, 2009 11:02 am

I hung out in the bar area, used the free wifi and had a sandwich.

I loved the free wifi at this hotel.

I do not recall free wifi in the rooms... Is free wifi only in the public spaces?

dingo Aug 4, 2009 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by ACfly (Post 12173417)
I do not recall free wifi in the rooms... Is free wifi only in the public spaces?

It was free in both the room and public spaces.

dingo Aug 4, 2009 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 12172210)
Dingo,

If you mean Seppis, the French bistro, it should be part of the hotel to earn points as it is listed on their website as one of their restaurants. If you have your bill you should submit it to SPG.

NJ

That's the one; I did charge back to the room now that I look at the receipt! Good food, nice bar, good help.

gleff Aug 4, 2009 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 12175935)
It was free in both the room and public spaces.

I do not recall it as free in the rooms.

I do however recall that their internet was just set to block explorer, and that logging into my work vpn allowed me to access the internet without first going through their pay site. YMMV.

hotelfanatic Aug 4, 2009 7:54 pm

burger and mattress

I finished my stay and really like this hotel.

I didn't eat at the burger joint as the line was constantly a block long.

Here is an article about hamburger ranking in NYC. The Burger Joint was ranked #6. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/dining/06burg.html

BTW - I recall the mattress was very thin at this property. My friend stay there this summer and reported the same and was not impressed. In fact he cut his stay short due to not getting a good sleep. Anyone feel the same? I would go back if they had the Westin HB as the location is ideal and the view from the pool is ^^

gleff Aug 5, 2009 4:23 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic (Post 12176227)
BTW - I recall the mattress was very thin at this property. My friend stay there this summer and reported the same and was not impressed.

The mattress isn't especially thick. Bed is low profile, exascerbating the effect. I slept fine, but prefer a W bed.

Shantanu Aug 5, 2009 4:42 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 12177628)
The mattress isn't especially thick. Bed is low profile, exascerbating the effect. I slept fine, but prefer a W bed.

I got a sore back and neck from a one night stay....but I have a bit of a dogdy back.

tommy777 Aug 5, 2009 9:35 am

First stay -- My back, my back!!

After our horrible experience at W The Court, I called the hotel directly Saturday night to see if they had our corporate rate available for Sunday night, they did not, but after checking, they actually matched our 189USD a night rate at the Le Parker Meridien. Not bad.

After leaving the W Dungeon after barely surviving the elevators there, we walked in through the 57th street entrance, through the old church. Very impressive. It was immediately clear on this Sunday morning around noon that the hotel had been full, it was an organized chaos in the huge lobby of people waiting for their flights.

We were welcomed by a nice girl that immediately recognized my Platinum status and she asked if I wanted to wait for a Junior Suite facing south (not ready for another 3 hours) or get a room on a high floor facing the park immediately. I asked if there were some alternate suites available, she said they weren't allowed to upgrade Platinums to those suites, but she would ask the manager. She disappeared through the wooden door and came back with a negative answer.

So we took the park view room on the 31st floor. The keys are a little funny, pretty long, so not ideal if you keep your hotel key in your wallet.

There are plenty of elevators, 3 for the higher floors. They show old school cartoons on a little TV in the elevator.
The rooms are pretty big for NYC and the view was absolutely breathtaking. Herman Miller chairs, stone desk, Tivoli radio (no ipod dock), smart solutions and good upkeep. Old style TV in a pod thing and a VCR :D.

The bathroom is all marble and looks good. It's big and has a tub. They also have TWO soaps and plenty of other amenities. Honor bar with normal high prices. Room service breakfast starts at 29 USD ++, so for two, expect at least 80 bucks.

Wireless internet is not free, it costs 14.95 (I think) and you can't charge it to your room. You need to pay with credit card when the browser opens. We have internet included in our corporate rate, so I had to call downstairs and was given a 6 digit code that is good for 14 days (!!)

No temperature issues in the room. Put the air on 60 and it got comfortable enough. But it was only around 78 outside

We went up to the top floor to check out the pool. No kids in sight, not the biggest pool, but at least they have one.

Rainy day in NYC on Sunday, so we were happy to see there was a complimentary umbrella in the closet of the room.

So any problems? The bed.. The mattress is very thin and very hard. Pillows were absolutely fine. I did not have a great night sleep. It's kind of like a mattress you find at an Italian luxury hotel that is uncomfortable the first night, but OK the next ones. You get used to it. Not good since I mostly have 1 night stays for work in NYC.

A great property if you are not used to sleeping on great Starwood beds. I'm staying again for 3 nights from next Saturday, will see if my back agrees more with the Le Parker Meridien bed then