Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Starwood Executive / Club lounges at Westin Properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Do Westin Hotels have Lounges ?

Not necessarily. Having a lounge is not a Westin Brand standard. Some properties do, some don't.

Refer to the forum Lounge Master list for more information

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/321600-list-club-lounges.html
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Starwood Executive / Club lounges at Westin Properties

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
For the Starwood Lurker crew re lack of lounges in new Westins

Is there an official statement or reason, more and more properties are being built WITHOUT club lounges.

Off the top of my head, it has happened twice in my past 5 travels. Westin in Charlotte and the new Westin National Harbor are the first coming to mind.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Westin in N.A , unlike Sheraton, doesn't usually have the lounges.This is pretty normal. Go for Sheraton if you want a lounge.

Originally Posted by etsmyers
Is there an official statement or reason, more and more properties are being built WITHOUT club lounges.

Off the top of my head, it has happened twice in my past 5 travels. Westin in Charlotte and the new Westin National Harbor are the first coming to mind.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:11 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by etsmyers

If you want an official statement from the Westin braintrust, then I suggest writing to them directly. Alternatively, I can pass along the question, but it might take longer than a direct correspondence.

My best guess, and that is all this is, is that having an executive level and an executive level lounge is no longer a brand standard for Westin. That may be driven by development concerns. In other words, we want to attract developers to build new Westins or re-brand new Westins, but they might be hesitant if an executive level/lounge was included in the brand standard.

I know that these lounges are important to travelers and that having one or not often makes the difference when you are choosing a hotel, but ask yourself why that is. It often means that you might not have to spend $$ for something that you would normally, plus it gives you a place to relax. Well, then turn that around and see what impact that has on a developer. Suddenly, instead of a revenue stream, he/she has another cost center.

So, in my estimation, Westin began the concept of the Unwind Hour to provide a comfortable space near the lobby that would provide many relaxation aspects of an executive level lounge because many developers chose not to build executive level/lounges and the brand wanted guests to still be able to experience similar amenities/comforts.

Just my two cents, but I don't think you are going to encounter many of these in new builds going forward at the Westin brand.

Best regards,

William
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Just as a sideline, in the pre-*wood days, I spent many a wonderful hour in really great Westin lounges. I can clearly remember the last time I was in the former Executive Lounge at the Westin Copley in BOS (this must've been at least 15 years ago)... it was staffed by two competent concierges who maintained a consultation desk at the entrance. They also verified access eligibility there, as well.

The food was, frankly, exceptional. Breakfast was a solid array of quality items along with a few hot entree items. Afternoon snacks were also solid and impressive.

I miss the old days of Westin Exec Lounges, but it has been a very long time since I've seen one.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
There still area a few new Westins out there with executive lounges. Westin Alexandria and Westin Arlington Gateway are two properties I can think of at this moment. Internationally, there are also some new Westins with lounges. One of such example is Westin Auckland.

And, to name a few other Westins I've visited with a club lounge: Westin Times Square, Westin Chicago River North, Westin Diplomat, ...

There are also a few Westins with Executive Club floor, but without a physical lounge. Many of these properties will upgrade Platinums to these floors and still offer club benefits including free internet, free breakfast, water, etc. A couple of these properties: Westin Philadelphia, Westin LAX, etc
Old Oct 10, 2008, 3:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

The Westin Lombard Yorktown Centre is a relatively new property with a pleasant lounge.

The Westin Arlington has a nice lounge.

And that's about it for US Westins where I've stayed. Does anyone have a rough sense of what percentage of US Westins have lounges?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I know the Westin DTW has a lounge and the Westin ATL, did not sure if it is still open.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
... A couple of these properties: Westin Philadelphia, Westin LAX, etc
Does the Westin LAX now maintain a lounge with breakfast? The last time I was there, the lounge was "open" but it was nothing more than a TV/sitting room, which to me, is 99.999% useless. I inquired about lounge benefits and the front desk said it was simply a quiet room for folks to "enjoy." Okay, I said.

A colleague had been there a month before me and advised that the room was locked the night he was there!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
About 25% of Westin's I've stayed at have lounges

A rough ballpark, but I've seen lounges in 11 of the 47 Westin's I've been to of the 135 (or so) in the chain.

Actual number is 23.4% and I may have erroneously counted one.

I skew toward Sheraton unless the Westin has a lounge, so the calculated value may not be reflective of the total population.

-- CaptainG

PS I _love_ the new lounge at the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center... never anyone else there and I can eat the best parts of the appetizer tray myself... and with complimentary alcohol too ^
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by troyintn
I know the Westin DTW has a lounge and the Westin ATL, did not sure if it is still open.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Westin ATL." I don't think that there's a lounge at the Westin ATL Airport. The downtown Westin Peachtree closed their lounge back around 2001 or 2002. I am pretty sure that the Westin Atlanta Perimeter North doesn't have a lounge.

The Westin Atlanta Buckhead does have a lounge:
Our Club Level encompasses 33 guest rooms and suites on two floors, including a Club Lounge accessible by specially coded elevator key. The Club Lounge features four daily meals, residential furnishings, and floor-to-ceiling windows with panoramic views of the Buckhead skyline.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I know that these lounges are important to travelers and that having one or not often makes the difference when you are choosing a hotel, but ask yourself why that is. It often means that you might not have to spend $$ for something that you would normally, plus it gives you a place to relax. Well, then turn that around and see what impact that has on a developer. Suddenly, instead of a revenue stream, he/she has another cost center.

The 10 bucks for free water and a few bites at breakfast the developer "SAVES" costs them MANY MANY times over, from me!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
the unwind hour charges guests and drinks are therefore not affordable and snacks are dinged even more.

Lounges are meant to provide comfort and entice frequent travellers to visit the property vs another without a lounge.

a media report has reported that 5% of a property guests are part of a programme but they generate 25% of revenue.

The current travel pattern has seen a 25% increase in room redemptions and less seats being filled upfront. This means business revenue is shrinking.

this 5% mostly consist of travellers such as the crowd here.

If these 5% of your guests know that the property 2 miles away costs them 50 dollars less and has a lounge, where do you think they will go?

programmes such as spg earn revenue from hotels through hotel bookings made. If hotel bookings go down, who suffers most?

Lounges may have higher upfront costs but the cost per guest over long term is likely usd10 to 12 per guest. Compare this to losing usd 200 in guest revenue per night.

How likely is this to happen in light of declining business travel and most customers wary of costs reductions? go figure.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by trekkie
If these 5% of your guests know that the property 2 miles away costs them 50 dollars less and has a lounge, where do you think they will go?.

I routinely spend up to $30 MORE per night if a property HAS a lounge.

Here is how I look at it from my expense report side:

PerDiem-$50/day (INCLUDING monday/friday-leave late, home early!! )
Hotel expense total-up to $275/NIGHT, including taxes

So...spend $230/night at a place with no lounge and pay $8 for 2 bottles of water and a large coffee in the am=$42 left over for ME

Spend $260/night at a place WITH a lounge, my boss is happy (saved HIM 15 smackers ) and have a free coffee and free 2 bottles of water = $50 left over for ME...so guess where I am going???!!!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by CaptainG
PS I _love_ the new lounge at the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center... never anyone else there and I can eat the best parts of the appetizer tray myself... and with complimentary alcohol too ^
Good to hear as I will be THERE in 2 weeks!

I typically stay at the Portsmouth Ren, but wanted to try something different.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainG
A rough ballpark, but I've seen lounges in 11 of the 47 Westin's I've been to of the 135 (or so) in the chain.

Actual number is 23.4% and I may have erroneously counted one.
That's astounding to me. In the past decade, I think I've only seen maybe 5 Westin Lounges and they were a shadow of what they once were. I must be going to all the wrong Westins!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.