Search

London - Best Hotel to stay using points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Marriott Platinum
London - Best Hotel to stay using points

Hello travelers,

I'll be spending 3.5 days in London this August. I'm a PLAT member who will be using points for the stay. Which hotels would you recommend? I'm looking for the nicest one with a good location for seeing the major sites of London. It would also be nice to be upgraded due to Plat status.

I've never stayed at any of the Starwood properties in London. The Park Lane seemed like a nice one for the requested points.

This is a pleasure trip with my 62 year old mother who has never been there.

Thank you for your recommendations, etc.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I like the Park Lane. It's central and convenient to the Green Park Tube. Even as a Gold, I've been upgraded to a very nice room. I was much less impressed with the SP Tower. Don't know the other propoerties.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:50 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
I've stayed at the Park Lane and the LeMeridien on points. Have not experienced the other London properties. I would recommend if you are using points, please contact SPG Platinum Concierge and use additional points to book an upper category room. You can usually upgrade for as little as 1,500 additional points and it is well worth it. At the Park Lane, I would recommend booking an Executive Room; at the LeMeridien as well. That way, if you don't get upgraded, you are at least staying in a decent room. Let me add however, I have never not been upgraded at either property. Both are ideally located to all sites and tube access.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful time.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:01 pm
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk, jkutcher. We're delighted to have you posting in the Starwood forum.

We've discussed London hotels a lot. You can find past conversations in these resource threads:

London General Discussion (Which hotel is better? etc.)
The Lanesborough, A St Regis Hotel (Non-SPG)
Le Meridien Piccadilly
Sheraton Belgravia
Sheraton Park Lane
Sheraton Park Tower
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Much appreciated!!
Old May 6, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Recent Stay at Park Lane

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Park Lane using my points. I've stayed there several times over the past 5 years, and also stayed at the Belgravia, Park Tower, and Le Meridien once each.

I like the Park Lane's location, but it is really getting tired. I'm a Platinum and on my arrival they thought I was only a Gold member, and unfortunately didn't have an upgraded room for me. When I said I'm a Platinum, they looked again and offered me my free ammenity, but then said they the only suite they had was on the smoking floor. I said I'd take the standard room for the 1st night and move then next day.

The standard room was the smallest I've ever had at the Park Lane. The Queen bed barely fit in it. So when I moved the next day, I was happy to get a suite fronting onto Piccadilly and looking out over Green Park.

HOWEVER, this suite was freezing cold, with no apparent heat. It had high ceilings and was on the top floor (8th), so I suspect there must not be much insulation. The other issue was the flag pole was directly above my room and it swayed and creaked in the wind, causing an almighty racket in the room. The wall to the next suite were also very thin and I could hear my neighbor's phone conversations. Also, the toilet flusher didn't work too well.

I should have moved rooms, but was settled in and so busy each day in London that I didn't get back until late each evening. In any case, the lesson here is be ware that the rooms in the Park Lane can be very variable.

I liked my room at the Park Tower, but it's pricey on points, and the area is very busy. The Belgravia was nice, but out of the way. The Le Meridien is extremely central, right off Piccadilly Circus, and my room there was fairly dated but OK.

Enjoy London, just don't expect much out of the Starwood Hotels there.....
Old May 6, 2008, 10:46 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
I will be at the Park Lane with my 14 year-old daughter for five nights on points next week. I will be sure to report back!
Old May 7, 2008, 6:23 am
MKB

Has anyone had room 901 at Le Meridien? Although it's a smoking room, I want to try it, but it's never available when I stay. It's the room in the circular turret with 360-degree windows that is on the junction of Regent Street and the tiny road at the side of the hotel that links with Piccadilly.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
ive had suites at both the PL and LM. They are both just down the road from each other. location wise, the LM is a bit closer to the hustle and bustle. the PL is a bit further down and to me a bit quieter. i like the PL better
Old May 7, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: DL/GM, HH/no mo status, SPG/PLAT
Please read my post on the LM Piccadilly master thread. I would not stay at this hotel again.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:58 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I was at the Park Lane about 2 weeks ago for 3 nights on points. As a Platinum I was given a very nice 'junior suite'. I had no complaints and would return again. I liked the convenience of the Green Park Tube entrance several blocks away and the fact that right above the entrance was a Marks & Spencer food store. It made for (london) cheap food and drinks.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:58 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
last month i was at the park tower in 2 rooms on points for 4 nights. they were able to get us connecting rooms and the hotel is very nice and fairly well run. they did not give us anything particularly special for being platinum.
i would say that if the points are not an issue this is a great hotel in a great location. from the reviews i have read the belgravia is also a very nice place for fewer points. some have decribed it as out of the way but during my stay we walked 2 1/2 blocks in the morning to a starbucks and a very nice grocery store which put us on the same block as the belgravia so to me it did not seem that out of the way.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TL2000
Please read my post on the LM Piccadilly master thread. I would not stay at this hotel again.

Ditto
Old May 8, 2008, 4:59 am

Programs: UA-1K, CO-Elite, SPG-Platinum, Hertz 5*
I'm staying the at the Park Lane right now. Things have been ok, nothing great so far. The location is very good and the staff have been good/friendly. I am staying here on business @ 170GBP/nt and I am not terribly impressed with my room even though I was "upgraded." Its not terrible in terms of size and does have a very nice bathroom but the location on the second floor being tucked away and staring at a wall leaves a little something to be desired. That being said I haven't spent a lot of time in my room as I am here on business and the location has been great for that.

If I was coming back on vacation I probably would stay here purely based on the location.
Old May 10, 2008, 2:31 pm
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
multiplie stays at the Park Lane, both paid and on points as a Platinum last few years.
The rooms are certainly a tired and could use a refurb, but I have always been given very nice platinum treatment, including a suite the last two visits (2007 Summer and 2006 Thanksgiving) on stays of multiple nights.
Overall, if they know you're platinum, they seem very willing to accomodate you--I didn't even have to ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.