Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wintermom
Yes, very maybe yes, maybe no, The rates are the best avaliable for now
but the trip I am planning is not until June and I was hoping to do better than
$365. including tax for a standard room at the Westin Time square. The AARP
rate is $369.00 plus tax but much more flexable. The 50% rate higher than
both of those rates. I guess I will think about it for a few more days.
June in New York maybe this is best I can do.

Are you telling me that it is only a $4.00 difference (plus perhaps 20% tax) between the potentially non-refundable rate of this promotion and the AARP rate that is of greater flexibility and I assume is cancellable and you think it is better to take the potentially non-refundable rate because it is $4.00 less despite the fact that you may have a fight on your hands claiming that it was not really non-refundable, non-cancellable because of potentially conflicting terms?

I don't know about you, but I would pay the extra $4.00/night (even including the additional taxes) just for the piece of mind, rather that saving that paltry amount per night. YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I second NJUPINTHEAIR's comments since you might not be as lucky as this FTer at the very same hotel that was lucky to get a refund for a $1796+ prepaid and "non-refundable" reservation.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:30 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
I've seen this before on some special prepaid rates with *wood. Once I pick a room and a rate, these are the details stated (see below). Does this mean that this particular property is being a little more flexible with the cancellation policy? Which one will prevail? Cancelation policy or Rate plan? I would love to take advantage of this promo, but booking in the winter when a Nor'easter could slam Boston is no fun...

Cancellation Policy: If you cancel before 06:00PM hotel time on XX/XX/2008, there will be no forfeiture amount. If you cancel after 06:00PM hotel time on xx/xx/2008, the forfeiture amount will be USD 000.00. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.

Rate Plan Description: Prepayment Charged At Time Of Booking. Reservations Are.non-changeable And Non-refundable.
The more onerous of the cancellation policy is always the one that is in effect when you see a situation like this.

What property are we speaking of here and I can have that fixed.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The more onerous of the cancellation policy is always the one that is in effect when you see a situation like this.
i hate to quibble and YMMV BUT.....

when it comes to a reservation's cancellation policy, i tend to go by what is listed under the section: "CANCELLATION POLICY" (moreso than the section: "RATE PLAN DESCRIPTION"). call me crazy.

i would be hard pressed that starwood customer service would be able to muster an argument against following that strategy.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i hate to quibble and YMMV BUT.....

when it comes to a reservation's cancellation policy, i tend to go by what is listed under the section: "CANCELLATION POLICY" (moreso than the section: "RATE PLAN DESCRIPTION"). call me crazy.

i would be hard pressed that starwood customer service would be able to muster an argument against following that strategy.
Except that you are going to be sent an email with the more onerous cancel policy, so it is better to just have it fixed the way it should be and not have to depend upon the good graces of Hotel Customer Service to come to your emotional, if not financial, rescue.

After all, Terms of use for using the site state would cover what you are suggesting.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
So, will I be able to cancel it? No? or Yes?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:16 pm

So, will I be able to cancel it? No? or Yes?
No, these are non-cancellable, like the Terms and Conditions indicate.

Terms and Conditions
Please see website for a list of participating properties and specific offer dates which vary by property.
Offer is valid for stays booked between January 8, 2008 and January 14, 2008.
Offer can be booked online or by phone by calling the number for your geographic location and mentioning promotion code GLOBAL7. UK, Spain, France, & Germany: 800-325-55555. USA & Canada: 800-920-9709. For additional locations, please click here.
Stay dates vary by property, see individual terms and conditions for offer details.
Stay restrictions vary by property.
This offer is only valid for Promotion Code GLOBAL7.
The lowest rate available for this promotional period is based on property, availability, arrival date and season.
Offer may be valid for bookings made through travel agents and third parties at commissionable rates.
Advance purchase required. Credit card will be charged at time of booking. Reservations cannot be changed, are pre-paid and non-refundable; if cancellation takes place, guests forfeit total room charge plus tax.
Reservation rates are quoted in local currency and are subject to currency fluctuations.
Rates are per room, per night, based on single/double occupancy and availability at time of reservation and do not include additional per room, per night charges that may be imposed or state/local taxes.
A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates.
Blackout dates and other restrictions may apply.
Offer not applicable to groups
Not to be combined with other offers or promotions and subject to change.
Not responsible for omissions or typographical errors.
Void where prohibited by law.
Starwood reserves the right to discontinue this offer at any time.

Name of hotel where you see the discrepancy?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Ive paid $10 more just to make sure I can have a same day cancelation, and felt it was worth it. Especially if its more then 5 days out and no way to know if snow or any other weather can prevent you from getting there. Keep in mind it can be nice weather at the Hotel but bad delays from wherever it is you are coming in from.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Thanks William! Now I know... Now we all know.
BTW, the property in question is the Sheraton Braintree Hotel.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:00 pm

Thanks William! Now I know... Now we all know.
BTW, the property in question is the Sheraton Braintree Hotel.
Thanks. I will see about getting it fixed, then.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by craz
Ive paid $10 more just to make sure I can have a same day cancelation, and felt it was worth it. Especially if its more then 5 days out and no way to know if snow or any other weather can prevent you from getting there. Keep in mind it can be nice weather at the Hotel but bad delays from wherever it is you are coming in from.
I agree that it doesn't make sense to give up flexibility for $10 savings. However, I just rebooked a stay at the end of January and saved $39 ($45 including taxes). Also keep in mind that many special rates require cancellation the day before arrival, so those are just as susceptible to being wrecked by weather issues as this is. However, if plans are definite (as mine are), and the savings is significant (as mine are: $129 vs. $90), this is a great deal.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Are you telling me that it is only a $4.00 difference (plus perhaps 20% tax) between the potentially non-refundable rate of this promotion and the AARP rate that is of greater flexibility and I assume is cancellable and you think it is better to take the potentially non-refundable rate because it is $4.00 less despite the fact that you may have a fight on your hands claiming that it was not really non-refundable, non-cancellable because of potentially conflicting terms?

I don't know about you, but I would pay the extra $4.00/night (even including the additional taxes) just for the piece of mind, rather that saving that paltry amount per night. YMMV.
Sorry, I should have never compared apples to oranges, its not $4.00 per
night but rates of $319.00 plus taxes etc for a total of $365.00 per night
vs the AARP rate of $369.00 plus taxes etc for a total of $409.00 per
night. For three nights it adds up to $132.00 difference.
Since William has now made clear it is non refundable despite when
you click on terms and conditions and the regular cancel policy pops up
I will just have to choose if the $132.00 is worth no flexability.
By the way William, this property is the Westin Time Square.
Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by wintermom
...By the way William, this property is the Westin Time Square.
Thanks
No, thank you!

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:27 pm
Suspended

I can see it now SPGs newest Promo, the opposite of BRG.

Find a contradiction in our Cancellation policy and get 10% off or 2000 pts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.