Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does the way you dress make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
Does the way you dress make a difference?

Does the way you dress make a difference ? I love to stay at *wood properties. I am a Platinum member. All of my stays are leisure . So when I arrive to a property I am never in a suit much less wearing a tie. I am pretty much wearing my jeans. Do you guys believe the way you dress makes a difference of what kind of upgrade you get or what Letter room type you get. For me most of the time if "available" i get a good room. Like the Sheraton La Jolla Hotel is always treating me good
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
No, it does not make a difference. The way you dress should have no bearing on your upgrade potential.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gabo02
Does the way you dress make a difference ?
well, according to spg.com, platinum members are: "automatically...upgraded to our best available guest room at check-in."

so, theoretically, you could walk in wearing a thong and you should get the same room as if you walked in wearing a tux.

but, your mileage may vary (YMMV).

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...preferred.html
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:27 pm

I don't believe the way you dress will typically make a difference. Lots of business travellers, for example, will check in on Sunday night while wearing non-work clothes. I don't think a hotel would want to offend most of them.

Oddly enough though, the best service I've ever had was when I was wearing a suit. Worst service I ever had was when I was wearing casual clothes. With that said, I don't believe my clothes influenced my service in the least. The Sheraton Taipei went out of their way to meet my needs as a platinum (and did so again on a subsequent visit when I wasn't in a suit) and the Four Points Niagara was simply understaffed and trying to do too many things at once when I checked in.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gabo02
Does the way you dress make a difference ?
Our mothers were right: It's the way we dress, it's the way we speak, it's our posture... Face it: there are many things in this world where inventory is limited (suite upgrades vs. number of Plat guests) and that inventory is handed out with some discretion (assignment of suites by front desk staff). As long as those decisions don't run counter to the law (deciding by race, gender, religion, etc.), I can live with it.

For those who disagree, I suggest a test: wear a nice suit on an upcoming international business class flight. Be carrying an expensive briefcase or wearing an expensive watch. Make a small effort to chat up a flight attendant within an hour of boarding. Then sit back and see how it goes.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 17, 2007 at 6:29 am
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I don't think it has an effect on upgrades as those are almost always done before you arrive. However, it can have a major effect on service.

I'm not going to name the hotel as management did a nice job of correcting the problem but last Jan I had horrible issues at check in at a property. I was wearing jeans and a tshirt. First the check in girl ignored me and took 3 different people ahead of me. She was completely nasty. Welcomed the couple in front of me with "oh, I see from the computer you're a plt" and says to me "if you're plt then you need to show me your card". Just night and day difference.

After having some problems in the room I asked to speak to the manager. I told him about my experience and he flat out admited to me that she treated me poorly because of how I was dressed.

Even if the policy is to treat everyone the same, it only takes one poorly trained or ignorant employee to give you a bad experience.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 Sprint:MotoQ (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Anyone remind me what PK and PD stand for again?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: AC*S, AS, CX, Marriott Platinum, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle
I agree with dressing and carrying oneself well, and sometimes I observe employee treating customers differently according to how they were dressed (especially in Asia and Europe).

The best check-in service and upgrade I've personally received was when I was in ratty clothing though, it was a North American ski resort.

Last edited by jplus; Dec 17, 2007 at 1:07 pm
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by BigBopper
I don't think it has an effect on upgrades as those are almost always done before you arrive. However, it can have a major effect on service.
Agreed, I was under the impression that almost all upgrades were lined up beforehand based on your status,point balance, etc.

Your dress and attitude can probably impact things on the margin if the person checking you in knows what they are doing.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
the way one "comes off" as you approach the desk makes all the difference... my new work partner and i are generally always in a good mood and are very courteous and kind (and at times a little fun/silly) with all the travel folks we meet... and it's always made a difference.

we've had TA recognize us, get us better seats, better rooms... at SPG, she's gotten the same type of room upgrades that i've gotten even though she doesn't have status (yet)

We've all seen people storm the front desk, be aggravated or rushed or whatever... and IMO the person helping them does the bare minimum just to get the transaction over with.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:21 am

I don't think it makes a difference. Unlike an airline where the way you dress might.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
For those who disagree, I suggest a test: wear a nice suit on an upcoming international business class flight. Be carrying an expensive briefcase or wearing an expensive watch. Make a small effort to chat up a flight attendant within an hour of boarding. Then sit back and see how it goes.
And then spend the next 12 hours (or however long the flight is) "uncomfortable", with great service.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I would hope that dress would not impact the level of service a person offers, but there are many prejudices out there.

I do not think that I have ever been judged by a front desk staff member based on my clothing, but it could me. When I travel, I usually am in khaki shorts and a polo shirt.

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
[SIZE=1]Anyone remind me what PK and PD stand for again?
In my line of work, pharmacokinetics (PK) is concerned with the time course of antimicrobial concentrations in the body, while pharmacodyamics (PD) is concerned with the relationship between those concentrations and the antimicrobial effect. Antibiotic dosing regimens have traditionally been determined by PK parameters only. However, PD plays an equal, if not more important, role. In this age of increasing antimicrobial resistance, PD becomes even more important because these parameters may be used to design dosing regimens which counteract or prevent resistance.

Is this what you meant?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by kevinsac
In my line of work, pharmacokinetics (PK) is concerned with the time course of antimicrobial concentrations in the body, while pharmacodyamics (PD) is concerned with the relationship between those concentrations and the antimicrobial effect. Antibiotic dosing regimens have traditionally been determined by PK parameters only. However, PD plays an equal, if not more important, role. In this age of increasing antimicrobial resistance, PD becomes even more important because these parameters may be used to design dosing regimens which counteract or prevent resistance.

Is this what you meant?
No, I read somewhere that platinums are categorized into PK and PD. I could be totally wrong, but I remember reading it somewhere but can't recall the details.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
And then spend the next 12 hours (or however long the flight is) "uncomfortable", with great service.
Once the confident, yet agreeable, well-spoken passenger has enjoyed a nice dinner he can change into stylish loungewear.

It's interesting that some people have described desk-staffs' response to this as prejudice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.