Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton ATL odd houskeeping practice---better stick with the paper cups..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton ATL odd houskeeping practice---better stick with the paper cups..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
That $5 bottled water is looking better by the minute.
Maybe that's exactly the hotel's agenda
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:24 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by rcherskov
How do you think they clean them in most hotels? Do you see fresh racks of glasses on the housekeeping carts? I actively try not to think of these things. Otherwise I would never stay in a hotel.
Back in my hotel manager days, in a previous life, yes - they were washed in the proper machines and racks of fresh glasses were brought to the floors.

No excuse for not doing this.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by imverge
Maybe that's exactly the hotel's agenda
You left out the part of the quote about the FREE bottles of water.

Anyhow, I doubt that it's part of the "agenda." I don't know about anyone else, but when I drink my free bottle of water (or some bottle that I have bought or brought with me), I generally pour it into a glass with some ice (after having first inspected and cleaned the glass).
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Once at a Westin property that shall remain nameless (think $9 rate), there was a cart "abandoned" in the hall outside my room for over 12 hours. Needless to say I had the opportunity to inspect it, and I was surprised to see a commercial-dishwasher tray of what looked like fresh glasses. The chemical names in the cleaning supplies were another matter...
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wth
And don't get me started about the questionable cleanliness of the carafes of the in-room coffee makers!!!!!
bingo. don't think that traveling salesmen don't use these to wash their socks and underwear.

and, yes, take a gander at the housekeeping carts....there aren't racks of glasses. i have several friends that work in hotel operations. all of them have told me that housekeeping simply rinses the glasses. but, this isn't just starwood, all hotel chains.

and, yes, it is almost certainly against health code regulations in most jurisdictions. if you witness it, write to the authorities.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
bingo. don't think that traveling salesmen don't use these to wash their socks and underwear.
Wow, this is much more disturbing than some dirty glasses. Any of you out there actually do this?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Unhappy Ewwwwwwwwww

and, yes, take a gander at the housekeeping carts....there aren't racks of glasses. i have several friends that work in hotel operations. all of them have told me that housekeeping simply rinses the glasses. but, this isn't just starwood, all hotel chains.

and, yes, it is almost certainly against health code regulations in most jurisdictions. if you witness it, write to the authorities.

Waaaaaaaaay TMI!

Originally Posted by jammers
Wow, this is much more disturbing than some dirty glasses. Any of you out there actually do this?
Do we really want to know the answer to this question?!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

Waaaaaaaaay TMI!

Do we really want to know the answer to this question?!
there are downsides to having friends that work in hotel "ops." they share dirty little stories/secrets. hotels can be quite gross.

enjoy!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 9:59 am
ALW

I'd be less worried about the glasses between my first and second nights, and the glasses between my first night and the previous occupant's last night.

At a time when they're pretending that not changing our sheets or towels is an attempt to save water not money, running hot tap water through those glasses is more wasteful, and potentially more expensive, than just washing them properly in a dishwasher!

And if it's a violation of public-health regulations, which is surely is inter-stay if not intra-stay, it's truly a surprise they do it.

=aw
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world

I challenge anyone to find a Marriott hotel that does this. I worked for Marriott for some years (admittedly a long time ago) and this was grounds for immediate termination. Each hotel had a sterilizing commercial glass washer in housekeeping that was mandated by Marriott (i.e. it had to be the same precise model at every full service property on the planet, no exceptions; and regular maintenance logs were kept on them and submitted for quarterly property inspections. Not having this done was a major demerit.) In my years with Marriott, I never once knew of a glass being washed in a guest room. The first morning job of the housemen was to distribute racks of clean glassware to each floor.

In my experience, it is not fair to say that "all hotel chains" do this.

It is, indeed, a serious variance from health codes anywhere in the US and, if observed, should be reported not to the hotel GM, but to the local health authorities.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:51 pm
ALW

While I believe the original posting, that's what I find it hard to believe it's hotel property. Flagrant disregard of health codes as a policy is not likely in today's world.

=aw
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by ALW
While I believe the original posting, that's what I find it hard to believe it's hotel property. Flagrant disregard of health codes as a policy is not likely in today's world.

=aw

alw -- I'd like to agree with you, but I can attest that I, too, have seen this in more than one Four Points Hotel in the past year and each time I've brought it to the attention of the GM. (Note I didn't follow my own advice above and go straight to the health authorities.)

I strongly suspect this happens in far more cases than any of us would like to believe. I don't know much about the day to day role that health code officers have with the lodging side of the hotel business (i.e. once they inspect the food and beverage side of the house), but I'd bet there is very little, if any, oversight of the hotel side. That's kind of a shame since I'd enjoy pointing several things out to many a health inspector.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
And while we are on the subject of Safe Practices...

...My Bro-in-law (ER Trauma Doctor) warned me to always take the bedspreads off beds before putting anything on them that might touch skin, and then suggested if I didn't believe him, to go out and buy one of those CSI black lights.

All together now-

EWWWWWWW!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
You left out the part of the quote about the FREE bottles of water.
Not every room comes with FREE bottled water. And certainly not unlimited either.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by imverge
Not every room comes with FREE bottled water. And certainly not unlimited either.
my favorite practice at many starwood hotels is when i book a king room (and note two people in the room) but they still only leave one small bottle of water. are we supposed to split it?

the four points in minneapolis will upgrade me to a suite with a king bed and it has never had more than one bottle of water in all the times i've stayed there. lame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.