Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New 14 day cancellation policy for awards? (Now clarified by SPG - it's not the case)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 14 day cancellation policy for awards? (Now clarified by SPG - it's not the case)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
well

if you dont show up, why in earth should the hotel be able to bill you the rackrate ?

they should take the points for the one night and thats it.

i guess this will be covered through amex insurance, but its just ridiculous if they take the points + cash.

dp
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I hope this is not true for every hotel.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
I'm not going to get excited about this until William let's us know if it's just a bug or not. I have a feeling the phone agents are right and the web is wrong, it's just not worth getting worked up over until we know for sure.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
This would definitely be bad news. Would it mean that we couldn't book awards within 14 days?
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I have an existing award reservation (booked about a week ago, i.e., before the unveiling of the new spg.com) on which the cancel policy is just one day prior. Hopefully, the new cancel policy (if such there really is) will NOT apply retroactively. @:-)

In any case, though, I sincerely hope that 14 days is NOT the new systemwide SPG award cancel policy, given the draconian penalties that can apply!
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:21 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
For the last five years I have directed most of my business to Starwood. If this 14 days is the new policy Hilton will get my future business.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 2:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I have an existing award reservation (booked about a week ago, i.e., before the unveiling of the new spg.com) on which the cancel policy is just one day prior. Hopefully, the new cancel policy (if such there really is) will NOT apply retroactively. @:-)
Fear not about the "new cancel policy" being stuck to previously made reservations, but no harm with being prepared with printouts and saved emails/screenshots showing the standing cancellation terms for award reservation you made before the "14 days prior" went into play.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Rom Sac
This would definitely be bad news. Would it mean that we couldn't book awards within 14 days?
You could still book them but if you had to cancel, you'd be subject to the penalty. Hopefully this is just a bug in the new website.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 6:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD, SPG PLATINUM, MR GOLD, AX CENTURION, etc.
If this is true, it is just another reason to transfer my Starpoints to my pref. airline FF-Programs ...

I still hope that it is just a system error.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 7:20 am

Programs: No More Loyalty
Let's hope the 14 day thing isn't true.

But I'm still shocked to learn that a property supposedly can charge a cash penalty (of their own choosing, apparently) on a stay paid with points. There's something wrong with that whole concept. The points they agreed to take in the first place makes them whole regardless if I stay or not.

Isn't it akin to a property on a cash stay trying to take your car if you are a no show? What's the connection between one and the other?
Old Jul 22, 2007, 7:58 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
william

i know it is a weekend, but i tought that a lurker like william would join us on weekends too on FT

so maybe we wait until tommoro and william will confirmt that it is a mistake.

dp
Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:55 am

What I'd like to know is if I book an award for a stay and I show up and there are no rooms available can I charge Starwood the rate of my choice as in compensation for being walked?

More and more the hotel industry has been taking on the same tactics as the airlines. Charging more for award booking, cancellation fees etc...

Sounds like we frequent guests should start to lobby for a "guest stay of rights bill" Oh how the tides would turn if that room was not ready by 4pm and the hotel had to pay out compensation.

The knife cuts both ways.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diamond, AA LT Gold, SouthWest Comp Pass
I just called in and questioned the policy with an SPG agent. I was told that if I booked the hotel though her, the cancellation policy was 6pm day of arrival, but if I booked it online through spg.com I would be subject to the 14 day cancellation policy. So two different policies at the same hotel. The only difference being how they are booked. This is crazy!!!

I had her go speak to a supervisor and she came back and confirmed it. She did say the issue "may" be temporary, but couldn't confirm it as a bug nor as an official policy change.

Lets hope it is just a bug. I can't call in for all my redemptions...
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:57 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
I hope the 14 day rule is a mistake, and if it is not that Starwood rethinks and changes it. If not how about this approach. I book an award room 30 days in advance and concurrently book 3 or 4 revenue rooms that have no cancellation penalty. This might be done in someone else’s name. On day 15 if there is any question about my planned use of the award room I cancel it. On day 13 I cancel all of the revenue rooms which should make them available for award reservations. On day 13 I also make a new award reservation that does not have the 14 day restriction. I am not suggesting that I wood do this, but thought it could be discussed.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
- If the hotel oversold it's standard rooms by 3 or more this would not work. Those rooms don't instantly appear back into standard inventory.

- If you rebook at 13 days you would be past the 14 day penalty so now you are stuck no matter what, no cancellation possible.

Until we hear from William or SPG why not just call to book an award, then you have the normal cancellation policy! Again, it's too early to get excited about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.