Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Prince De Galles, Paris, France - Pre-2013 Remodel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prince De Galles, Paris, France - Pre-2013 Remodel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Well, we're heading back!

Going on a trip to California with my wife, daughter, son-in-law and their 1.5 year old twins. Started talking about a "getaway" later this summer and decided that Paris was the only place that interested us. Any other location would be somewhere that we surely wanted to stay more than 5 days, while returning to Paris is easy.

After working for weeks on this, I was finally able to get a British Airways reward from Newark to Orly non-stop on British Airways' Open Skies in their BizSeat - really premium economy. Called every day for a week (and the plane is basically empty) and they opened it up today. A true value for 75,000 BA miles (and only 60,000 Starpoints). We used one rewards ticket and paid for the second ticket. Anyone thinking of going - this is a great use of the miles. If you have Cathay Pacific miles, you can get the Biz Beds (lie-flat seats) for only 80,000 miles (or 65,000 Starpoints).

Now the decision. I booked 5 nights on Cash & Points. As you all know, you can't use points to upgrade that reservation and the fifth night is not free so it's 40,000 points and $750. The last two times, we booked points and added a 2,500 per night upgrade which gets a Junior Suite - really a suite as there is a separate bedroom. The first time we were upgraded to a massive suite on the Avenue George V and the second time to a smaller, less magnificent suite - but lovely nontheless.

Have to decide whether to take my chances on an upgrade with C&P or spend the extra 50,000 to guarantee a Junior Suite. Decisions, decisions, decisions! Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Could someone give me some feedback on the hotel restaurant please?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Could someone give me some feedback on the hotel restaurant please?
Too many wonderful restaurants in Paris to have spent time at this restaurant in my experience.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by stevens397
The last two times, we booked points and added a 2,500 per night upgrade which gets a Junior Suite - really a suite as there is a separate bedroom. The first time we were upgraded to a massive suite on the Avenue George V and the second time to a smaller, less magnificent suite - but lovely nontheless.
Hmm, an interesting idea indeed. I'll be staying here on the Thanksgiving Special Rate.

Perhaps I should spend a few points to get out of the base-level room, rather than hope for an upgrade. Risk of course is that they choose to offer lowest priority for upgrades for folks using this rate, and also one imagines there might be a high percentage of Platinums taking advantage of this rate during this time period.

Does anyone else have experience that confirming a better room helps in terms of what you actually get for your upgrade, ie that it isn't just a waste of points?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ldsant
Too many wonderful restaurants in Paris to have spent time at this restaurant in my experience.
Aha, thanks for that. I was wondering because I have a SP membership and basically can eat at half price there.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:57 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Aha, thanks for that. I was wondering because I have a SP membership and basically can eat at half price there.
SP membership?

In any case the restaurant is overpriced. So, 50% off *might* make it reasonable.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by stc
SP membership?
http://www.starwoodprivilege.co.uk/
Old Jul 4, 2009, 9:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Have eaten at the restaurant numerous times due to schedule and necessity. Albeit expensive, food is quite good and varied.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 4:54 pm

My rationale was that I would call and see what upgrades were available on points. I knew that for double the base rate, I could get a suite. As I recall, I was told 1500 for a larger room and 2500 for a Junior Suite. I checked the description online and found out that the junior was, indeed, two rooms. So I felt that if I got a better Platinum upgrade, wonderful but if not, at least I knew I would be in a suite and would have somewhere to go between the time I got up and my wife got up! As I said above, each time I was upgraded further, altho the first time was to a suite on the Avenue George V that was not to be believed.

Our balcony was right next to the Four Seasons where the Rolling Stones had been staying. The concierge at the PdG actually wrote to me and asked if I was interested and got us great tickets. And we stood on the balcony watching, along with a large crowd (but we could see better!) when the Stones left the hotel.

So my experience has been great but that doesn't mean I would not have gotten those rooms anyway.

Originally Posted by gleff
Hmm, an interesting idea indeed. I'll be staying here on the Thanksgiving Special Rate.

Perhaps I should spend a few points to get out of the base-level room, rather than hope for an upgrade. Risk of course is that they choose to offer lowest priority for upgrades for folks using this rate, and also one imagines there might be a high percentage of Platinums taking advantage of this rate during this time period.

Does anyone else have experience that confirming a better room helps in terms of what you actually get for your upgrade, ie that it isn't just a waste of points?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:18 pm

Upgraded to jr. suite

We were at PdG mid June for 5 nights and were upgraded to a nice jr. suite with a Paris view on the 8th floor. It was an amazing surprise since we were on points. The only thing that was a problem was awful food poisoning on the Bateaux Mouches and I will never do a dinner cruise on them again. Awful food- go out to a *** Michelin restaurant and take a cruise, but really not even edible quality food, so watch out if you spend that much per person and expect more.

Special deal while we were there at the PdG restaurant: buy one lunch or dinner get the 2nd free! You can tell the recession is affecting the restaurant a bit...

Last edited by spellbound2; Jul 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:43 am

Any more upgrade experiences at the PdG this summer?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Connecting rooms at PDG?

I reserved through the Platinum concierge two rooms at the Prince de Galles for this coming weekend - one room for my wife and I, and the other for our two children, with a request that these be connecting... I read somewhere that connecting rooms cannot be guaranteed in advance. In the case of such young kids, having connecting rooms is essential. So I am not sure how to handle the situation if on arrival this request is not fulfilled. The PDG has not responded to my corresponding email inquiry sent a few days ago. Would it be at all likely that my Platinum upgrade could provide us with one large room suitable to accommodate the family instead of two rooms that may not be connecting?

I had also emailed the Westin Paris, which alerted me early enough that they do not have any accommodation options that can take all four of us, and that if I reserve two rooms, they cannot guarantee them being connecting. I am hoping that the PDG is better equipped for such eventualities....
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by stevens397
Any more upgrade experiences at the PdG this summer?
My wife and i stayed there in late July, using the free weekend promo for 3 nights (Fri/Sat/Sun). I am platinum- we got upgraded to a full suite on the 8th floor with a view over the Georges V. The room has a patio that covers both rooms, so it was really a spectacular room. (and for being on the promo nights, a big surprise.

On the 8th floor, the building is tall enough that you can see over the other buildings and then for miles- from this room, i could see les Invalides, Opera, Sacre Coeur among others. (Eiffel Tower is unfortunately behind the hotel!) From the little table and chair set, with take out from the chair and take out food from Hediard at the corner, this was probably the best view of Paris I have had. (room was 808)
Old Aug 18, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: Nothing much anymore.
Originally Posted by edinmhd
we got upgraded to a full suite on the 8th floor with a view over the Georges V.
My wife and I were also there the last weekend of July/first weekend of August using free night certificates. Unfortunately, we did not receive a suite, but instead a standard (but fairly spacious) room on the 4th floor. I never checked availability online or questioned the front desk since, as other posters have mentioned, we try to avoid spending too much time in the hotel room while in Paris! We were able to check-in within 15 or 20 minutes of our arrival before noon.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this hotel. As a free stay in Paris, it was wonderful. But, I would not consider paying the going rate for this hotel. For one, the gym is pretty embarrassing for a "luxury" hotel. It's a converted room with just a few pieces of pretty old equipment.

Also, when we departed, my wife and I were able to emerge from the elevator with our luggage, walk to the counter to check-out, open the front door, pull our luggage outside, and hail a cab before any assistance was offered. To be honest, I would prefer not to be assisted, but I would be pretty upset about paying hundreds of Euro and never having assistance offered.

But, the lobby smelled very pleasant!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Staying here now and quite pleased. Upgraded to Champagne suite facing Av George V. Checkin staff very friendly and mentioned Plat status without any prompting, asked about points or other amenity, and gave us a quick rundown of facilities.

This is a far better experience than my try at the Westin Paris last year and frankly I like this location better as well. Stroll up a couple of blocks and you are on the Champs Elysee, a couple of blocks the other way and you are at the Pont d'Alma with a great view of the Eiffel Tour. The hotel is abutting the Four Seasons George V hotel, another hint that the location is good.

We had our first dinner in a nearby restaurant at some tables outdoors with the Eiffel Tour as a backdrop. In the same way, I don't expect to be buying the breakfast or any other meal in the hotel itself, since there are so many options with better value, better quality or both within easy walking distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.