Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Prince De Galles, Paris, France - Pre-2013 Remodel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prince De Galles, Paris, France - Pre-2013 Remodel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Trip Report - 06.08

Currently at the PDG where Internet "economy" service is 22 Euros for 24 hours period. No free wi-fi to be found.

Wasn't upgraded to a suite although notes, emails, etc. had been sent to the hotel quite awhile ago but I think in two days we spent a total of 17 hours in the room; 15 of those sleeping so although it would have been very nice it wasn't a big deal since we really aren't at the hotel all that much (I mean, seriously, it's PARIS; how much time should I spend at the hotel?) Was given a room that they term a deluxe room. It's on the 7th floor. Nice size room with a king sized bed (they separated them so that there were two singles). Sitting area next to the bed with two chairs and a table. Doors open to the small terrace that overlooks a downstairs garden area that they term it (fancy word for a few plants planted downstairs) . No dresser in the room but a desk and chair and flat panel TV. No clock radio. There is a safe (free of charge) and a closet.

The bathroom is nice in size with a large bathtub and shower. Toile is the theme of fabric for the room (on the curtains and the back of the bed's headboard).

The bathroom is very nice in size with standard amenities; no great brand name - just the Luxury Collection. They do have a list with what you can ask for though free of charge e.g., adapter.

There is a mini-bar in the room but you should watch it carefully. I had noticed yesterday when we checked in there was a "missing" space but wasn't sure how it was stocked so didn't say anything. Tonight I noticed the space was filled in so I called downstairs to let me know I noticed this and wondered if I had been charged for something. I had been. When I told her that, in fact, I didn't have anything she said she would remove it from the bill.

One 3 oz bottle of Evian water is provided complementary. I thought this was a bit strange since there were 2 of us in the room.

The beds are fine; nothing spectacular and the bedding is definitely a lot less comfortable than the ones at the Westin or Sheraton.

I definitely agree with others that the hotel is very dated (which usually I find charming, but the plugs that are falling out of the wall, the cracks in the woodwork in the room, the threads from the fabric coming off of the sitting chairs, and the dirty carpet is just not what I would expect for a Luxury Collection hotel. The elevator states a maximum of 5 people but I'm thinking they would have to be 5 very small children.

The staff is not all that friendly nor helpful except for the housekeeping service; they are superb! The hotel is in an excellent location (once we found it ). Short walk to the George V metro and the yellow line basically gets you wherever you want to go. Short walk to the Arc d'Triumphe as well.

Didn't eat at all at the property so can't comment on that except that I looked at the menus and they were extremely expensive. It is possible to have a croissant, juice, coffee for 6 euros instead of the 35 that the hotel is asking for (walk 2 blocks and it will happen).

All in all I'm not really impressed with this hotel. It's fine; it's definitely not a Luxury Collection like many other Starwood properties are. I don't think it's just the dated furniture/rooms/areas, but I also think it's the staff as well. As though everything is such an ordeal and they just cannot be bothered.

Last edited by ldsant; Jun 26, 2008 at 4:18 pm
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:03 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thanks for the update, ldsant. One of the frequent questions in this forum is asking about the Prince de Galles vs the Westin. It's good to have a current report. It sounds as though it is attempting to rest on past laurels.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
It saddens me to read your recent review. We stayed there during the summers of 2006 and 2007. Upgraded to suites each time (on rewards stays) and found everyone helpful. I wouldn't say the concierges were exactly warm but they helped us with whatever we needed. Obviously, we loved the suites and the location, to us, was perfect.

Sad to think they're letting it go downhill.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:29 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I too hope your experience was an anomaly.

We have had a good luck at the PDG and have another trip planned there
next spring.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:34 am
In memoriam

I had read the reviews from others and seems that there is a lack of any recognition of Platinum members at this hotel. They weren't able to upgrade me to a sutie but some type of recognition would have been nice e.g., send fruit, bottle of wine, etc. to the room; have the person at the check-in desk say something. This is where I think *wood needs to have their customer service front line folks improve a bit.

The location of this hotel is fantastic though for exploring all of Paris.

UPDATE: I spoke with the front desk manager this morning explaining what I thought about the non-recognition. He could NOT have been nicer! I have always said it's not making a mistake or anything; it's what you do when it's brought to your attention. He had a really nice plate of fruit and a bottle of wine in our room tonight when we returned from Versailles. He also invited us for breakfast tomorrow (but since we're leaving at 6 AM I've returned the wine and breakfast). I am VERY VERY impressed with how he listened to what I had to say and how nice he was about acknowledging and fixing things.

Last edited by ldsant; Jun 29, 2008 at 11:09 am
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:03 pm

I was there a few weeks ago. At check in I was asked what gift I would like. The room had a heavy smoke smell so they found one that was cleaner. I asked if there wasn't an upgraded room available and the next day I was given a suite. Although I really appreciate the upgrade, it would be nice if it was offered and not asked for. I am Plat.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 2:56 pm
In memoriam

Would not recommend this hotel

Just stayed there again. After waiting hours to get a room they provided me with one that reeked of cigar smoke. I asked for the manager to come to the room and smell it. When he walked in he said "it smells like cigar smoke in here." He apologized and said "I was hoping that we would be able to make things better since your stay here in the summer was not a very good one." He then upgraded me to room 723 which was lovely. Sitting area, nice size bedroom and bathroom. The great part was a gorgeous and huge terrace! During the spring/summer I can see that it would be lovely to sit on the terrace.

This hotel just has a lack of customer service in so many ways. It is too difficult to provide the basics yet alone anything above and beyond. The hotel staff just seems that guests are an intrusion rather than paying customers.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
error - ignore

Last edited by stimpy; Jan 5, 2009 at 2:51 am
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:44 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by stimpy
In truth, a lot of these types of complaints are simply due to culture clash. The Dutch just don't have the same culture of customer service as America and some other countries have. Not anywhere in Holland. Except somehow they have some pretty good staff at the Sheraton AMS. Which, the last time I checked, was managed by the same company that manages the Pulitzer. Obviously the vast majority of people who stay at the Sheraton AMS are not Dutch. So I might guess that the hotel has geared itself to a non-Dutch type of service and culture. But the Pulitzer does have Dutch guests in the hotel and many more in the restaurant, and is still quite Dutch. Just my observations.
This property is in Paris. Nothing to do with Amsterdam. Their service is just poor; it isn't a culture clash. I have stayed at this property 3 times now; each time it is the same. Poor attitude and no customer service. It has nothing to do with American, French, or any other culture. I have stayed at many other hotels in Paris where the staff provides customer service.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
D'oh! Sorry, I was on the wrong screen. I though I was responding to a Sheraton Pulitzer question.

I only tried the Prince De Galles once on a free night several years ago. I didn't like it then and have never returned.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Somehow I'm guessing I may be disappointed staying here even on the 52 euro rate over thanksgiving
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gleff
Somehow I'm guessing I may be disappointed staying here even on the 52 euro rate over thanksgiving
I have no desire to return to this property.

Having said that, just set your expectations at about 52 Euro in Paris and they'll have a shot at exceeding them.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:07 am
In memoriam

Umm. .. for 52 euros this is a steal! The location is great! After all, how much are you in your room when you're in Paris? My point is just that for the property being a luxury collection property the staff is just poor in so many ways.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:19 am

I want to know where to get that (unless it's a joke) - I have so many days in Paris that I wouldn't mind trying it out at €52.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
I want to know where to get that (unless it's a joke) - I have so many days in Paris that I wouldn't mind trying it out at €52.
I've never seen rates below €300 at this hotel, it's got to be a joke. I've only been at this hotel once on an award stay. I was treated very well and upgraded to a suite, so I have no complaints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.