Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[*CLOSED*] Four Points Sihlcity, Zurich, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[*CLOSED*] Four Points Sihlcity, Zurich, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:06 am
cxn

Originally Posted by Travel Pro
Heading to Zurich for a few days in August.

Anyone care to give us an update on which Starwood property they prefer and why. I'm mostly interested in what you think of the pluses & minuses of the location, physical plant and any other particulars that you feel are important. Thx.
If you can afford it, take the Sheraton. If you wanting to spend less, use priceline.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Heading to Zurich for a few days in August.

Anyone care to give us an update on which Starwood property they prefer and why. I'm mostly interested in what you think of the pluses & minuses of the location, physical plant and any other particulars that you feel are important. Thx.
If you need to be in the center of town, stay at the Sheraton. If you can tolerate a 10 minute street car ride or want to take a 20 minute walk, the Four Points will work as well. For us, since we were staying on points and only 1 night, we opted to save the extra points and put up with the little bit of distance by staying at the Four Points.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
vs. Sheraton

Funny, I got the feeling that some people preferred the Four Points over the Sheraton for various reasons... anyone in that camp?

So, price not an option, I just want to make sure I book the best place... of course, location-wise it seems like the Sheraton is best, but seems some say to avoid, so confused.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I stayed at the Four Points on an overnight transit, it was fine, only problem was that
I arrived on a Sunday afternoon, and just about everything in the vicinity ( other
than the Burger King and Cinemas) was closed.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
hotel is clean and reasonably nice--not in the best location of the city but it's a reasonably pleasant area and is accessible via the central station by the 13 line which makes the property seem not so far from the city proper.

that said, i requested a 7am wakeup call that never came resulting in a pretty significant inconvenience for me. not sure if this is just a one-off instance, but i don't have a lot of confidence in the property's reliability after this.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Excellent Stay at Four Points Zurich

Funny, I got the feeling that some people preferred the Four Points over the Sheraton for various reasons... anyone in that camp?

So, price not an option, I just want to make sure I book the best place... of course, location-wise it seems like the Sheraton is best, but seems some say to avoid, so confused.
I gave the 4P a try based on the mostly positive comments and I'm glad I did. I stayed in a Suite so I can't comment on the size of the regular rooms. All I can say is that the Suite was perfect for us... well designed, plenty of space, great bathroom with 2 sinks, a tub and a separate walk in shower. We had a rollaway placed in the living room area for our son.

While not in the city proper, we loved the location. There were a bunch of restaurants within a few steps of the hotel (mostly casual or fast food type though... for serious chow we dined in the city) a Starbucks within 100 yards... and a giant mall with tons of shops and places to eat. Walk out the front entrance, take a right and in about 1 minute you're at the tram stop which will take you downtown in an easy 10 minutes (the cost for a pass for unlimited central Zurich travel is 8.40 Swiss Francs for 24 hrs... can purchase right at the hotel's front desk... or at the machine at each stop). My son loves Vapiano... there's one right across the street... was very good, fast, and convenient.

The hotel is modern, classy, and has a lot of style... more like a Westin or a W vibe... but small, efficient. The service is excellent... the front desk always ready to help with whatever you need. They booked our day trip for us to Pilatus Mountain in Luzern (which was amazing BTW)... and charged it to our room account. Never made it to the Spa which I hear is fantastic... we were too busy.

Used the Platinum free breakfast for 2... ok buffet... would have been pricey otherwise at 30SF. Very nice, comfortable, modern restaurant.

Wireless Internet worked fine in the room.

Highly Recommended

Last edited by Travel Pro; Sep 3, 2013 at 5:55 pm
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I stayed at the Four Points on an overnight transit, it was fine, only problem was that
I arrived on a Sunday afternoon, and just about everything in the vicinity ( other
than the Burger King and Cinemas) was closed.
Everything in Switzerland is closed on sunday, only large train stations and airports, as well as petrol station shops are allowed to open (plus museums, restaurants, cinemas etc of course - this isn't China or Singapore here )

Still, given the area the 4P is mostly for shopping and business, Sundays are extra slow there. However, on a nice day, it's not too far to the lake (about 10 minutes by foot) where it will be quite crowded..

Generally, the 4P is NOT at the best location if you're only doing an overnighter in Zurich. Choose a hotel near the airport, much more convenient (you can still go to Zurich downtown then from there, but as the 4P is on the other side of Zurich than the airport, just for an overnighter it's definitely not too convenient to use the 4P - different matter if you stay longer in Zurich..)
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
My partner and I stayed at this hotel over the summer and while it was a relatively modern experience, I was a little surprised with some of the "design" elements. Exposed concrete, tiny windows making for a cave-like atmosphere, and open interior hallways with oddly placed steps down to the elevators. There was also a distinct aroma which I couldn't pinpoint as either residual smoke or mildew, but asking for a fan from the front desk and leaving the window cracked for the day helped somewhat.

Restaurant breakfast (free as a Plat) was average, and the ride to town on the light rail, while tolerable left me wanting to be closer to the center of town. We were staying in peak summer (June) so I was happy to get the prepaid rate and was willing to deal with the transit and quirkiness of the hotel/rooms.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
has anyone had success using their suite nights here????
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Any recent updates on the Four Points? Will be in Zurich for Business next week and wonder if I should give it a try...normally stay at the Renaissance but that is out of my price-range for this week, and the alternative would be the Kameha Grand (which I know and kind of like as well). As this is a business-trip I will have a slightly longer travel-time from the FP to my office than from the Kameha, but it will be kind of a toss between the two. Rate-wise the Kameha is a lot cheaper, but the FP is still in my budget.

Already stayed at the Sheraton across from the Renaissance and really hated it, so I wonder if I should try the FP for a change or stick with the Kameha that I already know...most interesting would be the quality of bedding, noise levels at the FP and the quality of the breakfast there to make an informed decision.

Thanks for any input!

Regards,

Dirk
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Just stayed here for 1 night this past Saturday night. We had been on a ski vacation around 3+ hours away from Zurich and decided to travel into the city on Saturday night for our noon Sunday flight. The room design and amenities provided were very nice. Since we were a couple, the shower/bathroom setup didn't bother us.

I booked with points and as a Gold did not receive any upgrade. There was a welcome letter and gift in the room though.

We arrived around 1 a.m. (yes, after midnight) and were greeted nicely by the reception, however we were told very apologetically, that due to a fire hydrant bursting earlier in the day, there was no running water in the entire hotel! We could not take a shower or even use the bathroom because it couldn't flush. They provided us with large bottles of water for hand washing, tooth brushing, heating up for coffee/tea, etc., and although it was a very nice gesture and solved some of the issue, our biggest one was not being able to use the toilet after traveling by car for quite a number of hours. I can survive without a shower one night (by the morning everything was repaired and we were able to shower), but not being able to use the bathroom was in a whole different league. Had it not been so late at night I would have looked into staying at another hotel in the area. I also would have at least had the presence of mind to tell them that they are responsible for transferring us elsewhere with fully functional facilities. We however just wanted to see ourselves in bed and we figured we would just manage for the night (which we did somehow...).

When I took the survey for this stay I mentioned the no water issue and a couple of days later received an email from the assistant manager apologizing for the mishap. I am wondering if it makes sense to ask for a partial refund because of this, or since this was out of their control maybe it's not fair to do so?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

We were there during the water outage, as well, and although it was annoying, I thought the hotel handled it ok. We returned to our room around 7pm, and received notice that the water was out. Afaik, it came back sometime around 1am. We didn’t ask for compensation (because we were on a ridiculously cheap BRG rate of SFr 103ai and the hotel treated us well – see below). I would think that if you were to ask for compensation, they’d probably throw some points at you.

Review: Overall, we were quite impressed (given that it's a 4P).We were upgraded to a full suite (around 65sqm), which was nicely furnished and spacious. Very comfortable bed and sitting area. Nespresso machine. Some nice touches including a welcome letter accompanied by dried and fresh fruit and a split of prosecco, plus a couple bottles of Evian and delicious cookies daily. No problems at all with noise, and the small windows didn’t bother us. Breakfast (in lieu of 500 points) was full buffet, and again very impressive for a 4P – good selection of cold cuts, cheese, breads, fruit, muesli, eggs/sausage/bacon/pancakes/waffles. The neighborhood is a little slow on Sundays, but getting around Zurich by tram is easy enough. Getting to ZRH by train takes under 30 minutes with tram/S-Bahn combo connecting at Bahnhof Enge.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:24 pm

The hydrant issue was nothing the hotel could have avoided (it was big in the news since it basically flooded parts of the whole Sihlcity complex)

Since they seem to have done everything they could I personally would feel it to be a little over the top demanding compensation but asking nicely for some points would probably be ok (I wouldnt do that either in your position but thats up to you I guess)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would have asked for points. It's fair enough for a hardship like that.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 3:58 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Didn't realize there has been no updates in this thread since 2018.... I just stayed there in February 2021 and as I was searching for a stay this coming August, I see that the hotel is no longer showing up in the Marriott search page. Did they close it? it's not been re-branded, even Google Maps doesn't show anything at that spot.
Weird...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.