FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   A fascinating paper on how Starwood is using FT (and FTers) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/651352-fascinating-paper-how-starwood-using-ft-fters.html)

dgwright99 Jan 28, 2007 1:02 am

Originally Posted by AndersonAnalytics (Post 7084870)
We’re glad you found the work we did on Flyertalk.com interesting. The findings were presented at a conference on market research for the leisure industry in Rome last year.

The reason we chose Flyertal.com is because it is such a popular site among frequent travelers, and because we know of the Starwood Lurker and his work on the site.

Specifically the intent was to show how powerful techniques in data and text mining can be used to solve business problems and increase customer satisfaction by improving products and services.

Seems possible that if too many FTers (especially superusers) become aware of this use of FT, and change behavior as a result, the usefulness of the data may become dimished, as there is scope for manipulation.

I'm therefore mystified as to why you appear to have publicized your paper to FTers in this way.

svenskaflicka Jan 28, 2007 6:31 am

This is fascinating. It does give me the willies though. Who else is watching what we post and what is it used for? Imagine the conclusions these data miners would come to if they mined OMNI?

Counsellor Jan 28, 2007 8:01 am

Printed it off and read it through last night.

(And then this morning, probably like others who often post to the Hotels forums but didn't get listed as a "super user", did a search to find out how close I had been to making the 200 threshold.) :D

Fascinating! And quite sophisticated . . .

(And kudos to whoever thought to name a data-miner's helper "Clementine".) :)

ommoran Jan 28, 2007 8:25 am

Interesting stuff...

Originally Posted by sy7 (Post 7080819)
This was really interesting to read.

I have to say that I'm glad I never listed any program info on my profile--it makes it too easy for the data mining programs.

Yes, and it would be very interesting to see if the "connectors" listed an above average number of Platinum/Diamond/Super Duper Spiffy Elite program memberships, as their experiences would be more likely to lead them to follow multiple forums and, by extension, more qualified to comment across the programs.

Non-NonRev Jan 28, 2007 11:58 am

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka (Post 7107100)
Imagine the conclusions these data miners would come to if they mined OMNI?

If?

ExtraInRedShirt Jan 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
Imagine the conclusions these data miners would come to if they mined OMNI?

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 7108612)
If?

They wouldn't be able to mine Omni or CC without at least some prep - ie, an account with enough calendar time and posts.

Not to say it couldn't happen - but they'd have to know (and now they do :) ).

stimpy Jan 28, 2007 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by ommoran (Post 7107502)
Yes, and it would be very interesting to see if the "connectors" listed an above average number of Platinum/Diamond/Super Duper Spiffy Elite program memberships, as their experiences would be more likely to lead them to follow multiple forums and, by extension, more qualified to comment across the programs.

This connector doesn't list any such thing is his profile, except to say that yes I have juice in most programs.

Marathon Man Feb 1, 2007 6:14 am

hmmm at first glance, I didnt see myself on there which means I can get away with whatever I try to get away with :D

:)MM

Marathon Man Feb 1, 2007 1:30 pm

...actually I began thinking about some of the opening lines in the document.

I can assess that a customer evangelist could be someone who like knows a ton of stuff and is really into the brand. But what's a customer terrorist? Wow! What a word to open a 21 pager with, eh? What's that anyway, someone who knows... too much??

Also, the beginning of this thing seems to suggest that it's bad that people know too much because of the Internet. Well, every company I know is almost FORCING US to use it (have you ever tried calling CS at some places? It's easier to use some companys' chat link online to get a live rep) And hey, these hotels and airlines are the ones who WANTED us to do things online to begin with, right? How can they have it both ways now? We will know if we see things online. If anything, it makes it more of an open, fair playing feild.

Just 2 cents more...

;)MM

troyintn Feb 1, 2007 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 7138341)
Also, the beginning of this thing seems to suggest that it's bad that people know too much because of the Internet. Well, every company I know is almost FORCING US to use it (have you ever tried calling CS at some places? It's easier to use some companys' chat link online to get a live rep) And hey, these hotels and airlines are the ones who WANTED us to do things online to begin with, right? How can they have it both ways now? We will know if we see things online. If anything, it makes it more of an open, fair playing feild.

Just 2 cents more...

;)MM

You have to think that all most, all companies do not want to talk or see a customer. I know in my company most people are afraid and hide from them.

GUWonder Feb 1, 2007 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by troyintn (Post 7140648)
You have to think that all most, all companies do not want to talk or see a customer. I know in my company most people are afraid and hide from them.

:D ROTFLOL :D ..... so true in so many place (including the public sector). :D

There are a number of people who didn't show up on the graphics that surprised me -- that is, they failed to include some people I know to be pretty astute in getting top deals .... whether they post in here a lot or not. :)

wisc Feb 1, 2007 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by troyintn (Post 7140648)

It would seem like, in most service companies, the farther removed one gets from customers, the more likely their salary is going to be....

svenskaflicka Feb 1, 2007 7:43 pm

My husband just brought up a point. Good or not I'm not sure.

Would these data miners be able to track us all down personally if we don't use anti-spy? Spooky that they know us personally. How could they use that info?

GUWonder Feb 1, 2007 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka (Post 7141503)
My husband just brought up a point. Good or not I'm not sure.

Would these data miners be able to track us all down personally if we don't use anti-spy? Spooky that they know us personally.

It's possible way more than most know, but not with all. And anti-spy software isn't an end-all, be-all solution.

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka (Post 7141503)
How could they use that info?

There are lots of ways people can use that information -- from largely benign use to criminal use.

Marathon Man Feb 1, 2007 9:18 pm

this is why I like small business--or big companies that have sectors or regions that come across as and act as small businesses. They know you, you know them. Good stuff.

Anyway, as for anyone knowing us personally, I think they'd need to get our IP addresses to start, and I dont know that FT even tracks those.

Or you could befriend another poster, begin emailing him, and then learn more from that about the person. Who knows.

This is why we have nic names here, I think.

And yet, I have a friend who thinks chat and forum sites are not as credible as would be talking to a real person because in here we all use nic names so we could be lying about both who we are and what we are saying.

I am sure this has been asked and forgive me for not reading everyone, but does FT mind being mined?

:)MM
(safe gor now)