Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

W Silicon Valley - pre-transition to Aloft Silicon Valley [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Silicon Valley - pre-transition to Aloft Silicon Valley [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 12:27 am

Major problem at W Silicon Valley

They "had some problems" with the high-speed Internet, so they have lowered the speed to 250kbps. They still charge $13. It's bad enough that they claim this to be a "Silicon Valley" hotel when it's not really in Silicon Valley, but not having high speed Internet anymore is a non-starter for me, and I would think for anyone who needs to get any work done while at the Hotel. I called them today (after my stay) to ask when this would be fixed, and the response was that they "have no plans to fix it".

In other news, the first room they gave me had used toilet paper in the commode. They moved me (and promised me 1,000 SPG points).

Last edited by aviators99; Mar 21, 2009 at 12:36 am
Old Mar 21, 2009, 12:33 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by aviators99
They "had some problems" with the high-speed Internet, so they have lowered the speed to 250kbps. They still charge $13. It's bad enough that they claim this to be a "Silicon Valley" hotel when it's not really in Silicon Valley, but not having high speed Internet anymore is a non-starter for me, and I would think for anyone who needs to get any work done while at the Hotel. I called them today (after my stay) to ask when this would be fixed, and the response was that they "have no plans to fix it".
ROFL - that's great!

I stayed in the aloft in Plano, TX (I'll never do aloft again), and this hotel seems like it should really be an aloft (or something in between). I enjoyed my stay at the W SV, but only because I made it so, it's not like a real W, nor is it near anything.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: SPG, US Air, Virgin America
W SIlison Valley $79 Book by May 1 for next 2 weekends

Just got an email from the hotel and looks like it's a rate conducive for the Q2SPG promo....

Make A Play Date with W Silicon Valley for a Fab Rate of $79.
Arrive April 30 - May 3, 2009
Arrive May 7 - May 10, 2009

Book by Friday, May 1, 2009. Why wait?
Special Rate - WKYLTO
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
This hotel is the ....... stepchild of the W brand. Nobody really knows what its purpose is, why it was put there in the first place, and why it's still branded a W.

It's in the middle of a marsh - and not really in Silicon Valley either.

(welcome to FT)
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
This hotel is the ....... stepchild of the W brand. Nobody really knows what its purpose is, why it was put there in the first place, and why it's still branded a W.

It's in the middle of a marsh - and not really in Silicon Valley either.
It was built during a period in the late 90's when Sun was building up campus space on both ends of the 84 & 92 bridges, and folks thought they'd hitch their wagon to that. There are these pockets of bright shiny businesses in areas that are traditionally afterthought spaces of Silicon Valley. When Sun went facedown into the dirt, and many of these businesses seem out of place now. (Fremont/Newark is one of the 'corners' of Silicon Valley).

So you have a hotel in the middle of nowhere, and, agreed, no reason for it to be a 'W'. It is definitely an oddball. Nothing in walking distance. Not in a City Center. Not a high rise swanky building.

That said, it's actually quite a great little hotel, and I stay there often. It is a 'real' W on the inside, although looks like a Candlewood Suites on the outside. Great beds, great service, excellent bar, etc. Probably best image to have was a precursor to aLoft. They ought to rebrand this one as that.

I stay there a good bit, because it has FREE PARKING (no other W does), you can almost always get a room, and on weekends, it's usually super cheap. Is a good weekend getaway if you're local - stay at get pampered for less than $100 at roughly a 4star hotel.

I'm checking in there Friday night, actually
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by KevinS
It was built during a period in the late 90's when Sun was building up campus space on both ends of the 84 & 92 bridges, and folks thought they'd hitch their wagon to that. There are these pockets of bright shiny businesses in areas that are traditionally afterthought spaces of Silicon Valley. When Sun went facedown into the dirt, and many of these businesses seem out of place now. (Fremont/Newark is one of the 'corners' of Silicon Valley).

So you have a hotel in the middle of nowhere, and, agreed, no reason for it to be a 'W'. It is definitely an oddball. Nothing in walking distance. Not in a City Center. Not a high rise swanky building.

That said, it's actually quite a great little hotel, and I stay there often. It is a 'real' W on the inside, although looks like a Candlewood Suites on the outside. Great beds, great service, excellent bar, etc. Probably best image to have was a precursor to aLoft. They ought to rebrand this one as that.

I stay there a good bit, because it has FREE PARKING (no other W does), you can almost always get a room, and on weekends, it's usually super cheap. Is a good weekend getaway if you're local - stay at get pampered for less than $100 at roughly a 4star hotel.

I'm checking in there Friday night, actually
^ ^ ^ ^

I've stayed at this W a few times and its been a great little hotel.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by cgabear03
Just got an email from the hotel and looks like it's a rate conducive for the Q2SPG promo....

Make A Play Date with W Silicon Valley for a Fab Rate of $79.
Arrive April 30 - May 3, 2009
Arrive May 7 - May 10, 2009

Book by Friday, May 1, 2009. Why wait?
Special Rate - WKYLTO
It's part of this week's starpicks.
Old May 21, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, UCLA Alum ('96)
Meh. Stayed there last night b/c the wife had a talk to give in San Jose. The room was nice (basic suite, no Gold upgrade), but there was a smell of sewer gas coming from the bathroom. We didn't notice it until the middle of the night but it was kind of nasty.

It's in the middle of nowhere, by a swamp, etc. etc. Next time we'll do the Sheraton.
Old May 21, 2009, 4:28 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I did a mattress run at W "Silicon Valley" last week - TV was at least 12 years old.

It was my first stay at a "W", and I was not at all impressed.
Old May 21, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by aviators99
Jebz is indeed very good
Jeb'z dead, baby, Jeb'z dead.

Restaurant is out of business.

Greg
Old May 22, 2009, 6:46 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Meh. Stayed there last night b/c the wife had a talk to give in San Jose. The room was nice (basic suite, no Gold upgrade), but there was a smell of sewer gas coming from the bathroom. We didn't notice it until the middle of the night but it was kind of nasty.

It's in the middle of nowhere, by a swamp, etc. etc. Next time we'll do the Sheraton.
The W Hotel borders the San Francisco Bay wetlands. When the tide is out there are acres of mud and grass around the hotel and the area can be a little smellier. The sewer gas could be a different issue.

Whether the tide is in or out the location is great for birds and bird songs.

The W Newark is in the middle of a business park and not around much of anything but the wetlands, tech corporations, and residential housing. The San Jose Sheraton is also in a business park and not adjacent to anything but a freeway. I prefer hearing birds over cars on the freeway.

The rooms are larger at the W Newark. The San Jose Sheraton has the advantage of free breakfast and many rooms have balconies.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 6:20 pm

We stayed at the W last Saturday night on an $89 rate that included free internet. Unfortunately, the free internet was only good for 4 hours but the 24 hour rate has been lowered to $7.

By the way, there was no coffee pot in the suite but there is free, decent coffee at the bar in the morning.

We would stay here again at that rate. -- Suzanne
Old Jun 29, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO
We stayed at the W last Saturday night on an $89 rate that included free internet. Unfortunately, the free internet was only good for 4 hours but the 24 hour rate has been lowered to $7.

By the way, there was no coffee pot in the suite but there is free, decent coffee at the bar in the morning.

We would stay here again at that rate. -- Suzanne
They actually will bring you a coffee pot if you request one. Very silly in my opinion.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by VPescado
They actually will bring you a coffee pot if you request one. Very silly in my opinion.
This is getting more common, it seems, at Starwood properties. The Palace in San Francisco does the same.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:21 pm

Starwood made them remove the coffee pots from the rooms, because it wasn't consistent with the W brand.

The coffee in the lobby used to be Illy, but the cups no longer have the Illy brand on them. I don't know if it's still Illy or not, but it is good.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.