Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Former Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2006, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Former Platinum

Well , No more point collecting for me , travel days are done. I'm down to gold status. Anyone know an easy way to maintain Gold? I've got 379K points and would like to book a few nice trips and atleast get the chance of not getting a view of the dumpster. Any help is appreciated
Old Oct 15, 2006, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You can use your extra points for upgraded rooms on award stays, no? This is different than HH, where you posted a nearly-identical post, where you will, unfortunately, be staying in the dumpster.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Spend $30K on the SPG AMEX...
Old Oct 15, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, SPG Platinum, DL MM
Get a Platinum AMEX card. You get starwood gold automatically.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by uscsailor
OK, I looked this one up on the Amex website.

The annual fee (in the USA) for this card is $395. It can be even more than that in other countries!

Don't confuse this card with the Starwood Amex -- not the same thing. The Starwood Amex has a modest fee (only $30/year, and free the first year), but does NOT give you automatic Gold status. (You have to spend $30K in a year, as mentioned by another poster, to get Gold with the Starwood Amex.)

Heretofore, the official name of the Starwood Amex contained the word "Platinum" -- which probably caused confusion between it and the regular Platinum American Express card. It appears that with the new edition of the SPG-branded card, the word "Platinum" is being dropped. ^

EDIT: I looked at the American Express Canada website; there is a fee-free Platinum Amex card for Canada, BUT it does NOT offer Starwood Gold (or any other elite status in hotel or FF programs).

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Oct 15, 2006 at 9:13 pm
Old Oct 15, 2006, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uscsailor
SPG Gold, in my experience, won't help much in avoiding the view of the dumpster. Confirming upgraded awards, as someone else suggested, seem like a much better strategy. You can do this for as little as 1000 pts/night, and for 1500 pts on a cat 4, you usually get a very nice upgrade to something like a junior suite.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 9:08 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
You could forgo Gold. Instead, get an Ameritrade account and get Preferred Plus status. (I'm not sure if they really verify your Ameritrade status; I'm Plat and don't actually need this offer.)

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...itrade&back=-1
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
If you have 379K points already, that's quite a bit of free nights. You can combine free nights/cash + points, etc. As another poster stated, upgrades are available for only 1 - 1500K points per night. Or, when you stay at a place and really want a nice room you can always pay for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.