Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG Instant Awards
Print Wikipost

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:06 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by CIT85
Never considered RC. I just checked for dates in Sept, 1800 RMB for RC Pudong, too expensive,

1100 RMB for JW Tomorrow Square and 900 RMB for LRM, GH is 1290 RMB, so JW and GH look like best options. Although Kerry Pudong is a very good option if I'm not chasing Hyatt or SPG/Marriott.
It was very tempting to book the RC Pudong, even the Portman at $360/day. I have get free RC club certificate to redeem. But I'd rather to stay near the real city life, than staying up to enjoy the night from the hotel room. Maybe another day. It is all location to be on the other side of the river.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RedSun
It was very tempting to book the RC Pudong, even the Portman at $360/day. I have get free RC club certificate to redeem. But I'd rather to stay near the real city life, than staying up to enjoy the night from the hotel room. Maybe another day. It is all location to be on the other side of the river.
-I wasn't suggesting you stay at the RC Pudong; I was replying to someone else who has an office over there; Flair is arguably the most stunning bar in Shanghai when the weather is nice, but doesn't justify staying there by itself
-It's usually possible to get the Portman for around Y1000 if you have a rate code (taboo to discuss specifics on FT, but they aren't hard to find online); apart from the great location (i.e. much better than People's Square IMO), the Portman's pool is wonderful in the summer; the JW has a pretty nice outdoor pool too, but doesn't have the lawn area
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I was at Le Royale Meridien a few weeks ago immediately after a few days at the nearby Renaissance. Both about the same price ~RMB800-900.

The Renaissance location is also good being right on the Metro and just about walkable to the Bund if you want to. It backs on to a touristy area of old shops and stuff that seemed popular with the hoards.

The building work at LeM was a pain as was the elevator situation from the ground floor to the lobby and then the lobby to the room and then down to the lobby again and up again to the lounge...

Had a room (not a suite) on the lounge floor at the Renaissance and a corner suite of some sort with views of the park and towards the Bund at LeM. I was torn between them but LeM does win even with all the inconvenience because the lounge offering is so much better both at breakfast and in the evening. Booze is the same but the food spread at LeM is a lot more complete especially in the evening. Lounge service was excellent in both.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Had a room (not a suite) on the lounge floor at the Renaissance and a corner suite of some sort with views of the park and towards the Bund at LeM. I was torn between them but LeM does win even with all the inconvenience because the lounge offering is so much better both at breakfast and in the evening. Booze is the same but the food spread at LeM is a lot more complete especially in the evening. Lounge service was excellent in both.
I booked my mom and uncle at the Yu Garden Ren during their visit because both my home and office are on Line 10, and so is it. They didn't have lounge access, so I can't comment on this, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel. Line 10 is also quite useful, and the Yu Garden station is small/easy.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:59 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I was at Le Royale Meridien a few weeks ago immediately after a few days at the nearby Renaissance. Both about the same price ~RMB800-900.

The Renaissance location is also good being right on the Metro and just about walkable to the Bund if you want to. It backs on to a touristy area of old shops and stuff that seemed popular with the hoards.

The building work at LeM was a pain as was the elevator situation from the ground floor to the lobby and then the lobby to the room and then down to the lobby again and up again to the lounge...

I tend to agree, the current price of 800-900 with upgrade and complimentary breakfast, expansive happy hour on 44th with the views, plus best gym I've seen in the SPG make it more than tolerable with those crazy elevators, construction and even if you must do the People's Park Station not that bad.

Just visited my son at St Regis and for what is almost double can't see the value in that, but I'm cheap. Perhaps I'll start sampling the various Marriotts after merger and see what they offer. For hotels less than 800 RMB a night find LRM the winner so far.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:16 am

Since this thread is morphing into a general Marriott Shanghai thread, I will opine as such:
-the RC Pudong pencils if you buy their VIP card, which includes a room night; you can sell the other coupons to me
-the JW costs 100 more than the LRM, and is definitely worth it
-the Portman costs 200 more than the LRM; I think this is worth it because of the better location, but the rooms are small
-I don't care for the Westin or Marriott City Center
-I do like the Rens, but they aren't value priced
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Anyone has a concierge email or other contact at LRM? I'd like to ask about possible upgrade to club lounge or suite. We are SPG and Marriott Gold.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Anyone has a concierge email or other contact at LRM? I'd like to ask about possible upgrade to club lounge or suite. We are SPG and Marriott Gold.
If you are Gold through SPG qualification (legacy SPG Gold at 25 nights) then you will still be Gold after August 18 and do not qualify for lounge or suite upgrades.

if you are Gold through MR qualification (legacy MR Gold at 50 nights) then you will be Platinum after August 18 and will qualify for lounge and suite upgrades.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:39 pm
Suspended

If you are Gold through SPG qualification (legacy SPG Gold at 25 nights) then you will still be Gold after August 18 and do not qualify for lounge or suite upgrades.

if you are Gold through MR qualification (legacy MR Gold at 50 nights) then you will be Platinum after August 18 and will qualify for lounge and suite upgrades.
This is what I'm hoping for. I'm just not sure if the SPG folks know of the changes from 8/18/2018. Breakfast and lounge are the benefits for the old Marriott Gold (new Platinum 50) for full service Marriott hotels.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I stayed at Le Royal Meridian on points a few weeks ago, and the construction isn't really noticeable now. The two elevator system is a pain though! The room had a weird setup, and the carpet badly needs to be replaced. The one nice touch was a surprise gift from room service on my birthday!

Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
good question

That's a great question. Three months later, I would also appreciate an e-mail address/name for the LM Concierge? Please PM me. Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
That's a great question. Three months later, I would also appreciate an e-mail address/name for the LM Concierge? Please PM me. Thanks!
Why don't you try calling them? Email isn't so popular in China these days.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Any update on the room renovation progress? TIA.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
update & mini review

Answering my own query, the GM can be reached at : [email protected]
My 2-night reward stay was quite enjoyable. Reaching the hotel from PVG is easy via Metro Line 2 exit 6 at People's Square & across the street. The entrance and sauna are still under renovation. Means you get to visit the sauna & steam at the Marriott - 5 minute walk away - which I did and I recommend. I was upgraded to a junior corner suite on the 41st floor c/w soaker tub, stand alone shower, couch and swivel TV. The exec lounge (44th floor) is open for hors d'oeuvres 5:30 - 8 pm and serves breakfast from 06:30. Also, the lounge offers afternoon tea (c/w scones and cream) 2:30 - 4:30 daily. The property also offers an evening turndown service which was very nice. The location is ideal in the heart of the Bund with good shopping on Nanjing Street. The lounge has a real corporate feel and many staff (who fill drink orders, show you to your seat, etc.). Most of them speak OK English (useful as I don't speak Mandarin!)
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:41 am

People's Square is not on the Bund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.