Search

New Benefits for SPG Amex Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-GM, WN-CP, IC-Plat
New Benefits for SPG Amex Card

The following appears on my September card statement effective October 1:

- You will receive one additional Starpoint for each US dollar of Eligible Spending charged on your Card Account at Starwood branded hotels and resorts then participating in the Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program, and at standalone retail establishments and online stores that, in each case, are wholly-owned by Starwood.

- If during eny calendar year Eligible Spending on your Card Account is $30,000 or more, you will be enrolled for at least 12 months in the Gold Preferred Guest level of the SPG loyalty program. Please allow 12 to 16 weeks [for this benefit to take effect]. . .

Check your statements this month. This seems to be great news for those that stay a lot (an extra point per dollar), or those that stay a little but use the card a lot (gold level, and a new incentive to move travel to Starwood from other companies.)

I didn't see this elsewhere. Apologize if it is duplicated.

Jeff
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gold status = great for people who don't have Plat cards.

Additional point sounds like same old thing, it doesn't say 2 additional starpoints..
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold
Don't gold members get 3 points to each SPG $1 spent?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:07 am

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
I think they are restating a benefit and extending it.

I used to get 3 points/$ as a gold member. Plus I have a card, so I get 4.

Now if you are a non-gold member you get 3/$ with the card.

Wait, now I've confused myself - do you have to hit platinum to get 4/$?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:14 am

Well, that is great! The only benefit keeping me with Centurion just got matched since I have the Amex SPG card also.

Just in time. The $2500 renewal fee is coming up next month.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

elite (gold/plat) get 3.

card gets 1.

= 4

double promo = 6
triple promo = 8

(including card)

kibison, AMEX FHR props can get better upgrades than SPG Plat sometimes. and confirmed upgrades alone would make cent worth it for me.. to each his own.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 6, 2006 at 8:50 am
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
elite (gold/plat) get 3.

card gets 1.

= 4

double promo = 6
triple promo = 8

(including card)

kibison, FHR can get better upgrades than SPG Plat sometimes. and confirmed upgrades alone would make cent worth it for me.. to each his own.
What is FHR? (BTW, I just got off the phone with Centurion. They said that dropping SPG Plat was not their decision. Too bad for Amex and maybe Starwood too)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess this is a good benefit -- although as an existing Gold, I wish they'd upgrade me to Platinum with the spending.

Realistically, though, what do you get (aside from a few extra points for hotel stays) being a gold over the existing "preferred" status they already gave you? I've always thought the gold card might impress front desk staff a little more, but I don't know of any hard and fast benefits.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, UA, CO, DL, Hhonors Gold
This is great. Do you see any reference to this online, or is it just in the paper statement? I usually throw the paper statements away, and curious to see if this applies to me.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it seems that CC companies usually take a while to update online after these kinds of changes take place..

as i said, pretty sure that "additional point" thing is just the current benefit.

but with the gold after spending 30K that would affect everyone, not just targetted people... well, i guess technically they could do that? but it wouldnt make any sense, and it wouldnt be in the bill like that. the bill stuff like that are contractual changes.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Realistically, though, what do you get (aside from a few extra points for hotel stays) being a gold over the existing "preferred" status they already gave you? I've always thought the gold card might impress front desk staff a little more, but I don't know of any hard and fast benefits.
I occasionally get lounge-level upgrades as a Gold. This year, in properties that had a lounge, I think I've gotten it 2 out of 5 times. (I have done other stays in non-lounge hotels.) So although it isn't a stated benefit, some props do seem to give it to Golds. Best one was Westin Grand Bohemian in Orlando - a hotel with an excellent lounge. ^

The $30k perk is nice. Thanks to Amex, I'll be HH Gold and SPG Gold as long as these benefits remain in place. (Ironically, HH Gold is a more full-featured level than SPG Gold, and you get that for only $20k.)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Regarding the "one additional point" verbiage, I agree that it seems to restate the existing benefit, which really isn't a "benefit" per se.

I'm surprised that SPG Amex doesn't give a true additional point at Starwood hotels. The other two major cards provide a nice kicker to use it at the properties (Marriott's otherwise-weak Visa provides a healthy five points per dollar at the hotels!). It would be great to be earning 5 SPG per $ (as a Gold without other promotions) on stays.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by iahphx
1) "Upgrade to a Preferred Room the day of arrival, if available." (Not offering available Select Suites like for Plats.)
2) "4 p.m. late checkout. (subject to availability at resorts)" (I think that this is a HUGE benefit for a lot of folks.)

I think that the OP's reference to an "additional" point per dollar is probably the same old thing. The complimentary Gold for $30K+ spending is nice but not exciting.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plats get "select standard" suites which is opposed to "specialty", and every time I read about Preferred Plus on forum, it says same as Gold without extra point, so that would imply it has both upgrade and late checkout.

I think Gold helps a fair amount in quality of upgrade though. Higher status never hurts.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:51 am

dupe...........

Last edited by pinniped; Sep 6, 2006 at 10:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.