Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging for soda in Club Lounges??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Canarsie
...so what is the purpose of a lounge, anyway?

I can buy a soda for less money virtually anywhere else, and I can then enjoy it in the privacy of my hotel room.

Some lounges already charge for Internet access and business services.

What is next — $20.00 for the food? A fee for reading month-old magazines? A coin-operated television set? A toll for entering the lounge or a “lounge tax”?

That is a “nice thank you” after either paying the more expensive room rate that includes lounge access or reaching Elite status after continuously patronizing a hotel chain...

Thanks for your input. As the OP, this was precisely my sentiment. If there is going to be a fee for traditionally complimentary items in a lounge environment, then I'll be the first to skip on the Club Lounge completely and head for the downstairs lobby bar which is infinitely more interesting.

The bottom line = if the Clubs are evolving to just an "exclusive" place to have access to with charges for everything else, then count me out. There is no value for me in such an arrangement.

For what it's worth, the Club Lounge at the Sheraton Le Centre is beautiful, but this past Saturday was jammed with very casual vacationing families and kids all over the place. All other things being equal, I'd have been far happier with my $10 worth of Club Soda in the very civilized bar on the lobby level.

In any case, I would ask Starwood to simply remind me what the benefit of paying for a Club Room is if the lounge charges for everything but water and coffee?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
On a direct opposite note, the JW Marriott at Cherry Creek in Denver has STOPPED charging for drinks in their lounge.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:53 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
At the Sheraton Gateway Beijing as well as Sheraton AMS airport charge for drinks when it is not meal time in the lounges. Both did let me know but I was somewhat surprised.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sbtinme
All other things being equal, I'd have been far happier with my $10 worth of Club Soda in the very civilized bar on the lobby level.
Then it would be Club Soda, it would be Bar Soda Sorry, couldn't resist.

Back on topic, this post is almost enough to not stay at the property altogether. And certainly, if they are charging more for club level access (as opposed to just upgrades), and I didn't have status and paid for this, it wouldn't be pretty.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:38 pm

That's not only cheap but rather tacky. That's like an airline lounge charging for a can of pepsi. Oooops, I better not give them any more cost cutting ideas

Honestly, the value of executive rooms with lounge access and for Platinum SPG members is going down hill.

Marriott is looking better everyday!
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AJLondon
^ ^

Well stated. Totally defeats the purpose of "lounge access included".

Oh, and the Sheraton Centre Toronto, and the Sheraton Wall Centre Vancouver also charge of soda and soft drinks.

The strange thing is that the Sheraton Gateway YYZ does not charge for soft drinks or bottled water. The first time I was at the Sheraton Centre YYZ I was surprised to also recieve a bill.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
I am cancelling a couple of resevations at properties discussed here...just on principle. This is a pathetic policy.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:59 pm

I was in the Sheraton Le Centre Montreal this weekend too (pretty crowded there). It was my first time there and as a Gold I was surprisingly given a good sized suite.

Needless to say, after being pleasantly surprised at checkin I was disappointed when visiting the lounge for this same reason.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:11 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
Originally Posted by grayland
I am cancelling a couple of resevations at properties discussed here...just on principle. This is a pathetic policy.
Let them know why you are cancelling.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Question

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Ran into a similar situation at the Sheraton Boston in their Club Lounge. A few free snacks ... but charges for beverages..

When did THIS happen??!?!?! I was just there early summer and no charge. Has there been a major (but silent) shift in direction on drink charges in Club Lounges? How did this happen and we didn't see it coming?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
When did THIS happen??!?!?! I was just there early summer and no charge. Has there been a major (but silent) shift in direction on drink charges in Club Lounges? How did this happen and we didn't see it coming?
I was surprised; I was there just two weeks ago.

Some Sheraton Club Lounges have always had a nominal (read: small) charge for alcohol. The Sheraton Iowa City used to be a couple of bucks. Others, like the Sheraton Bloomington, cap you at two drinks for free.

But lately I've seen the nominal charges increase, and the Sheraton Boston Club Lounge was charging what appeared to be full price (wine was between $7-10 a glass).

This is anecdotal, based on my own travel experience. YMMV.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

I was surprised; I was there just two weeks ago.

Some Sheraton Club Lounges have always had a nominal (read: small) charge for alcohol. The Sheraton Iowa City used to be a couple of bucks. Others, like the Sheraton Bloomington, cap you at two drinks for free.

But lately I've seen the nominal charges increase, and the Sheraton Boston Club Lounge was charging what appeared to be full price (wine was between $7-10 a glass).

This is anecdotal, based on my own travel experience. YMMV.
Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing. My initial post here was regarding simple, everyday club soda. Had I ordered a Scotch and soda, I would've expected to pay. Club soda by itself -- no way! Thus, my dumbfoundedness when a bill for $10 was presented for 2 ice crammed glasses with, collectively, perhaps 8 ounces of club soda total.

If you're talking about cocktails, yes, I understand that YMMV. Anytime a Club Lounge comps alcohol, I consider that lucky. When they charge me for a glass of tonic, however, I leave feeling cheated.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing. My initial post here was regarding simple, everyday club soda. Had I ordered a Scotch and soda, I would've expected to pay. Club soda by itself -- no way! Thus, my dumbfoundedness when a bill for $10 was presented for 2 ice crammed glasses with, collectively, perhaps 8 ounces of club soda total.

If you're talking about cocktails, yes, I understand that YMMV. Anytime a Club Lounge comps alcohol, I consider that lucky. When they charge me for a glass of tonic, however, I leave feeling cheated.
I have to admit I don't specifically recall. I do recall seeing a full, two-page beverage menu with prices (I only focused on the wine). I also recall kids at nearby tables ordering soda and the parents getting a folder with a bill. But perhaps someone else who recently has been at the Sheraton Boston Club Lounge can confirm if non-alcoholic drinks are also being charged.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
I just completed a stay at the Sheraton Boston.......

While they offer free soft drinks (I had plenty of Pepsi during my stay), they do charge a "nominal" price for alcoholic beverages.

i.e. $10 for a glass of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay.

AFAIC, it's a small price to pay........given the decent amount of food made available each night......such as the scallops w/bacon from the other night...not to mention the platter of cannolis that were out on Saturday night....followed by an assortment that included mini cream puffs last night.

A.J.

Last edited by Bulldog King; Sep 4, 2006 at 8:25 pm
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
But perhaps someone else who recently has been at the Sheraton Boston Club Lounge can confirm if non-alcoholic drinks are also being charged.
Ask and ye shall receive.

No charge for them.

A.J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.