Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with HKG...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Help with HKG...

My friend has Marriott points and Starwood points to burn. She would like help with the best pick for a 4 day trip to HKG. She is going in November and availability came up for Starwood -- Le Meridian and Marriott -- two Renaissances.

Any suggestions???
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
The LM is not as directly centrally located as the two Rens. Depends on what your friend is in HKG for, the location may or may be the best.
The Ren in Kowloon is well, in Kowloon, right next door to the IC and across from the Sheraton and the Pennisula. Good location.
The Ren Harbour View in Hong Kong is on the island side (same as LM) but more centrally (than the LM) located in Wanchai. Both Rens used to be part of a chain called the New World. But that was a while back.
I'd think that as a tourist destination, both Rens' locations would beat the LM (that's just my opinion, acknowledging that HKG is not such a huge big place and that public transport is very good). The Rens often run Pointsaver awards rather than the standard awards, so some savings may be available. OTOH, the LM being Cat 3 doesn't cost that many points.
Is the Sheraton available in Nov for redemption?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

JW Marriott is a nice hotel in a great location, attached to Pacific Place. It's in Central, which I prefer to Kowloon, has an underground station attached to Pacific Place, and also has access to the tram.

Besides searching this forum for reviews on the hotel, also check the Hilton forum for my all time favorite thread on "10 things to do while at the Conrad Hong Kong". Since the Conrad is also attached to Pacific Place, that thread will be as relevant to the JW.

I've stayed at the Ren attached to the Convention Center and advise against it. It's quite a simple property. Of course, my opinion could be colored as there were cockroaches in my bathroom - and those of several other conference attendees.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by choptliva
The LM is not as directly centrally located as the two Rens. Depends on what your friend is in HKG for, the location may or may be the best.
This is somewhat of an understatement. The LM is a very nice hotel (relatively new, great rooms with brand new plasma screen TVs and jungle rain showers, good staff, good bar), but it's not close to anything at all other than a tech park (Cyberport). If your friend wants to stay in the central area and not take a cab or a bus for 15 minutes every time she wants to get to the hotel and back, I'd avoid the LM.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1k, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I also second the recommendation of going with the Rens over the LM. The LM is very inconvenient if your friend plans to go anywhere on the subway (and in Hong Kong, you can go almost everywhere on the subway).

Has she looked into the Sheraton? It's a very nice property (just revonated recently with very nicely appointed rooms) and the location is as good as the Kowloon Ren.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.