Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Scandic brand is fine if they only want to reach the Nordic audience. Personally I don't see a reason to stay there as long as it is not affiliated with any of the big 5.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:28 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
I was just wondering........now that they are leaving the Starwood umbrella, do you think it is less likely that they will offer Plats a suite upgrade for stays prior to 31st March?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skrosvik
We used to have a Starwood (brand new Sheraton) in Oslo, Norway. But Sheraton pulled out, and it was re-branded by a local hotel chain.

I remember it as a nice and fresh property, but a bit out of the city centre - even though stars like George Michael and Whitney Houston used to stay there, hahahaha.
When they were stars back in the 80's or washed up in the new millennium?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
When they were stars back in the 80's or washed up in the new millennium?

Hehe, when they were REAL stars. Back in the late 80s and early 90s. My friend once told me he was waiting for Whitney to get her autograph at the Sheraton back then, but as he were waiting he was approached by an associate asking him to leave, he was told Whitney would cancel the concert if he didn't leave, cause she wouldn't accept anyone waiting for her. She refused to leave until he left. Very nice approach to a 14 year old boy! High on crack or something...!?

Anyway, I do miss that hotel. I will also miss the Palace. It's in a great location, and very nice rooms after the recent renovation. I can't say the same about D'Angleterre. They are still bragging about that multi-million dollar renovation they had some years ago, but the hotel were falling apart last time I stayed there. Everything was moldy and outdated! The spa and location is great though.

I have a reservation for the Palace on March 29th

Last edited by skrosvik; Feb 20, 2009 at 10:03 am
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
We liked it

I took my wife around Scandinavia last summer and we stayed in a number of 3-4* hotels. This was our favorite. It didn't look good, judging from tripadvisor, but I decided to try it out anyway.

I booked the cheapest twinbed deal with breakfast. As a starwood gold, I got upgraded to a nicer room with a king size bed without asking for it. Everything about the room was brand new and the best "scandinavian design" of any of the hotels we stayed at. Grims Grenka in Oslo had the weirdest stuff.

Although the hallways of the hotel sure looked dated or like a construction site, it didn't bother us at all. The room was great and the hotel employees were all nice to us.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
The Palace Hotel officially left Starwood yesterday to join Scandic.

Interestingly enough it turns out that the owner of the property (with whom Starwood failed to reach an agreement) is the SAS airlines Chairman of the Board, Fritz Schur.

http://www.takeoff.dk/news.cfm?nNews...&nNewsId=20401

So maybe it's no coinsidence that the trend of moving away from global aspirations and cooperation to a narrower Scandinavian focus has hit both SAS and the Palace Hotel.

I hope somebody, someday can prove that people travelling in Scandinavia also travel the rest of the world, and would move their business to companies providing a more global coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.