Wiki Posts
Search

Worst W? Add yours, also add your best.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hertz Pres O
Worst W? Add yours, also add your best.

I am currently staying in my 10th W and without a doubt it is by far the worst.

W Atlanta.

Old grotty hotel turned into a W without a full makeover.

Old air-con in the rooms that is louder that my mother-in-law.

No bed linen change after 2 nights and no card to place on the bed.

Cigarette burns on the furniture in a non smoking room!

TV channels flaky.

I have stayed in most of the spg properties in ATL and yet to find a good one!

Best W so far was the W Lakeshore Chicago.
Old May 19, 2006, 9:59 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Best for me is by far the W Times Square
Worst is the W french quarter in New Orleans.
Old May 20, 2006, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Worst is W New York (the one on Lex).

I love the W Seattle, others like San Diego, San Francisco. Looking forward to trip reports from the W Maldives...
Old May 20, 2006, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'll put the original NY W up there. I stayed there last week - tile physically pulled away from the wall in the shower so I could see the pipes behind it, two-foot strip of wallpaper hanging down over the bathroom mirror, other wallpaper peeling, barely enough room to turn around (the real-estate euphamism "cozy" should have been the giveaway), generally dark and dingy (the low light is supposed to be "chic", but it couldn't hide the condition).

And $400+. A bowl of soup from Room Service was $18. Internet access was $17 (on my bill - that's not what I clicked "OK" to when I signed on, iirc). I paid less for a junior suite at teh Waldorf across the street last time I stayed there.
Old May 20, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
The W Tuscany in NYC and W Atlanta are good bets for bad Ws.
Old May 20, 2006, 8:55 am

W New York is by far the worst.

W Seattle and W San Diego are very nice although the surrounding area around the W San Diego isn't exactly the best.
Old May 20, 2006, 9:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum - OnePass Platinum
The W New Orleans didn't really impress me much, seemed to be a tired makeover of another hotel.

My favorite is still the W Union Square in NY
Old May 20, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
W Tuscany & W Montreal are tied for the best for me
W Altanta
Old May 20, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
W New Orleans

When compared to other W's the W New Orleans on Poydras is no doubt the worst. Whatever whenever.....more like Never, Ever! Service is not good, I have even had things stolen from my room. Management does not respond to email or phone calls. Down right shameful.
Old May 20, 2006, 11:44 am

W Seattle

W Seattle is the best one I've stayed at.
W SF was good; though the service is slow - and can be indifferent.
W Silicon Valley - good and surprisingly cheap; but way out of the way - from anything.
W Times Square - new, well done, though a bit too industrial for my tastes.
W LA - very nice - though a bit removed from the 'action'
W Lexington Ave - the original is getting tired and the rooms are too small.
W Chicago Loop - I kind of liked this one; sort of gothic style and a bit different.
Old May 20, 2006, 11:51 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
It's funny how different perceptions can be

For me:

Best service
W Union Square
W Poydras

Worst service
W Westwood (but I love the rooms and location)

Best rooms
W Union Square
W Westwood
W Seattle

followed by
W San Diego
W Poydras
W San Fran
W Lakeshore

worst room
W French Quarter (but I love Nola so much it didn't matter)
Old May 20, 2006, 11:53 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
How's the one in Mexico City?
Old May 20, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: *Wood Gold, Hyatt Plat, AA Gold, UA 1K
Got walked from W FQ!!!

The first time we went to NOLA we were walked from the W FQ. I pitched a fit in the lobby of the W much to the horror of my partner who I believe walked outside to distance himself from me! I was only a Gold at the time, but I expressed my righteous indignation at the thought of getting walked to another hotel on the outskirts of the bus district 3-4 miles away from the FQ. We were there for Haloween and the parties are in the FQ. Here's the kicker - she told me they would even pay for the room! Duh - yeah you will! I also told her that she would pay for my room there and at the W when I returned! I explained that we were only in NOLA for two nights and she was seriously ruining our weekend adventure! I had made reservations in May for this weekend.

I was pissed! They told me that they would accomodate us to another hotel. I told her the hotels that were acceptable to me - none of which were available. Big Surprise. She suggested that we step next door and have lunch on them while she looked for a room. We had a very nice lunch and some martini's which were on 10 cent special

After lunch we went back to the lobby and were told they had a located a room at the Meridien (a true dump). It was awful! By that time it was pushing 4:00. We checked in there and I called back over to the W and explained that while we would stay there they had better figure something out for Sunday night b/c I wouldn't let my dog's fleas stay there more than one night.

She offered to pay for dinner for us that Saturday night and I explained that we really weren't planning on eating a big meal she said if you eat out just save your receipt. She called me a little later and said they would have room for us on Sunday and that we could check in after 12:00. I explained that we had brunch reservations for Sunday at the Windsor Court and would be over after that. She offered to pick up the tab for that as well. I was shocked, pleasantly so!

After way too much fun and barely making it too brunch we finally got to check in at the W. We were given a great two room suite. We totally relaxed all afternoon and evening.

I didn't call *wood to complain until a few months later when it was suggested to me that I do so. In return I was given 40K of points - enough for a weekend in NOLA the following Halloween and some for whatever. I was completely shocked by the wonderful treatment that SPG gave me over that incident. They turned me into a lifer with the way that was handled! My loyalty is 100% to SPG.

We love the W FQ now - we are always treated well and you can't beat the location.
Old May 20, 2006, 3:26 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'll put the original NY W up there.
And $400+. A bowl of soup from Room Service was $18.
That is not just another bowl of soup..... but Whatever Whenever soup which does not come cheap
Old May 20, 2006, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
That is not just another bowl of soup..... but Whatever Whenever soup which does not come cheap
Yes, it's a bowl of soup that makes you go, "Whatever"

Seriously, though, room service is expensive and especially so in New York City.

If the biggest problem with the W New York was the pricing of their room service menu, it would be a great property. ^

Alas, it isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.