Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort left Starwood 6/30/09 (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort left Starwood 6/30/09 (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2006, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by AskTravis
Hi all -

Headed to this hotel for the first time in a few weeks, just wondering what the best way to and from the airport would be?

Any thoughts on 1) length of trip and 2) cost would be appreciated.

Thanks all, can't wait for a relaxing cash and points long weekend!

T.
If you are just looking for transport to and from airport, take a taxi. They're there waiting for you and it's about $22 and 15 minutes. Have a great time.
Old May 1, 2006, 8:28 am

Smile Trip Report - Westin Lucaya

Spent last week at this property. The Westin & Sheraton are side by side and you can go back and forth and use both facilities and charge things to the rooms from anywhere on either property. The Sheraton is a bit more kid oriented as it has a waterslide into one of the pools and allows rafts and toys in the pools, where as the Westin doesnt have the slide and does not allow rafts in the pools.

Really well maintained property and landscaping. Nice to walk, day or evening. Lots of nice beach space and places to sit around and watch the sun set, have some drinks and relax.

Every person that is employed on the property has a pleasent word for the guests when they pass you. People always asking if there is anything you need or anything that can be done to make your stay better.

We stayed in the Westin had a 2 bedroom suite, lots of room, great deck for sitting out on in the evening. Everything was first class in the room.

Dined on the property for breakfast 1 day, lunch 3 days and 1 dinner. IRIES is has great food, but is a bit over priced --- really nice dinner. Lunch at the Prop Club was good and breakfast was ok.

Eat across the street at any of the places and it will be a bit cheaper and you cant go wrong picking almost any place in the shopping center.
Old May 1, 2006, 8:08 pm
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
We stayed there a couple of years ago. The one and two bedrooms are night and day compared to the tower rooms. Much more private, and ours was just off the beach.
Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Old May 1, 2006, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great to hear!

I am headed there in 2 weeks for a very 'special' weekend with my girlfriend... who has no idea we are going! Staying on Cash&Points, plan to call the hotel and see what can be done about a nice Gold upgrade for the special weekend, hopefully all goes smoothly!

T.
Old May 22, 2006, 6:31 pm

westin lucaya/freeport

Anyone have any reviews/opinions? Any ammeneties as a gold starwood member? lounge/breakfast?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2006, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; SPG GLD; Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by flyerguy
Anyone have any reviews/opinions? Any ammeneties as a gold starwood member? lounge/breakfast?

Thanks!
Stayed here over New Years last year. Rooms were fine, though at the lower end of quality for Westin's (bathroom fixtures seemed cheap, curtains were damaged in places). As a Gold at the time, we didn't really get any benefits, though I'm sure that had something to do with the time of year. They did have a Gold/Plat reception with drinks and appetizers while we were there - again this may have been due to the high occupancy.
Outside of the rooms, I found the resort to be pretty nice and well maintained. Lots of choices for activities and dining - though food can be pricey. If you get tired of the resort, or want to save money on food, there's also a little 'town' across the street (Port Lucaya) with more bars, restaurants and shops. There are diving and deep-sea fishing outfits that operate from there.
Overall, given the time of year and the resort, I think we got an ok deal.
Hope this helps.
Old May 23, 2006, 6:34 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum Pref, US Airways Gold Pref, Northwest Silver WorldPerks
The wife and I stayed here the last week of April thorugh the first week of May. We really enjoyed the Westin. We were upgraded to a suite and were taken care of very well. The resort has three pools, 1 for the Sheraton, 1 for the Westin, then 1 for adults only. We usually stayed at the adult infinity pool all day everyday. The spa and gym are very nice, golf is great and the tennis courts are replica of all the famous courts around the world. I would recommend the Westin, but I would stay clear of the Sheraton, we did not have a good experience there and will not return. For the extrat $20 a night, the Westin is well worth it.
Old May 23, 2006, 7:46 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Do a search for "Lucaya" to find some existing threads on this topic. Here's one to which I posted a lot of info.

I usually find the price difference between the Sheraton and Westin to be $30 for the basic rooms. Unless you have kids that need to be around the Sheraton's more kid-friendly pool or are truly on a tight budget , I also recommend the Westin.

I've never had any room quality problems at the Westin.

We hardly ever eat at the hotel's pricey restaurants. We have several favorite restaurants across the street at Port Lucaya.

My upgrade success as a Platinum has been 100% there. The Westin is available with Cash & Points during July - Sept.

Unless you find that I've mentioned it before in other threads, I can't be of much help about Gold perks there. They do have an on-site SPG Coordinator, though, and contacting her in advance may be worthwhile.
Old May 23, 2006, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by PITflyer2
The resort has three pools, 1 for the Sheraton, 1 for the Westin, then 1 for adults only. We usually stayed at the adult infinity pool all day everyday.
This is truly good news if true! In the past year or two, the infinity pool has been closed. First it was hurricane repair and then we heard that it was too much trouble to keep it up as they had the other pools for guests. Is the infinity pool to the north near the lanai suites really open?
Old May 23, 2006, 2:45 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum Pref, US Airways Gold Pref, Northwest Silver WorldPerks
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
This is truly good news if true! In the past year or two, the infinity pool has been closed. First it was hurricane repair and then we heard that it was too much trouble to keep it up as they had the other pools for guests. Is the infinity pool to the north near the lanai suites really open?
That is exactly where it is at, by the lanai suites, lap pool, and the spa and gym are close by as well. To answer your question, yes, it was open when we were there less than a month ago.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:02 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
anyone stayed here lately?

My hubby and I are looking at going in April with rates in the 200's, but we need a suite and that isn't very cheap. In fact, with points it's literally a crime, IMO, but I was hoping we'd get a comped upgrade. I spoke to my Plat Concierge and he said he's had a hard time getting upgrades there in the past and he recommends the Sheraton. I prefer the Westin, but if we can't get a suite there, we may have to go to the Sheraton. I guess we could get 2 rooms ajoined at Westin so we have extra room, but you'd think they'd want to upgrade Plats. Recent info tells me they're not accomodating much anymore.

If anyone has stayed recently, I'd love to hear about upgrades and what the place is like. I just came from 6 nights at Le Meridien in Cancun from a Meridien suite, so I'm afraid I will be sorely disappointed if what I hear about upgrades is true. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a suite- as long as it has 2 rooms- a living room and bedroom both with tvs and a balcony- but the prices they ask is ridiculous. You'd think that as Plats we could negotiate a bit and even if we can't get a comped upgrade, we could use points or cash for the upgrade in a reasonable amount. 10,000 starpoints for an upgrade is ridiculous, IMO.

I think we may be headed back to Mexico if these Bahamas properties don't work out. I wanted Cayman Islands but it looks like the plane schedule doesn't work for us. Go figure.

If anyone can add info from recent stays or PM me about the Starwood Properties in the Bahamas, I'd love to hear! Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I stay at the Westin or Sheraton every year. If a suite upgrade is important to you, pay for it. An upgrade is simply not a given here or elsewhere for Plats. Especially not at Lucaya. It used to be better but lately I've gotten a regular room even after working the front desk and having low occupancy. Good luck but don't count on anything. It is a great property but the rooms are just average. You'll love the property though.

Last edited by fireworksboy; Mar 25, 2007 at 6:15 am
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just in case anyone is interested, I was able to get The Sheraton for $75/night for April 19-24 on Priceline. The total was $466 for 5 nights!

Yes I am loosing points but it was hard to judtify the extra $125/night if I booked through Starwood.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat,Delta Plat, WN A-list & CP,SPG Plat, HiltonH DM,Hyatt Plat,Amex Centurion, Hertz Plat
We stayed here a few months ago as platinum, we were assigned a standard room. Asked for an upgrade, spoke to the manager, they said they couldn’t do it. Beautiful property but the rooms we had were nothing special, at all.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Westin Our Lucaya - questions

Will be staying mid April for a quick getaway. Has a few questions.
1. Can't find their spa or golf websites or menu. Anyone knows how much a massage or facial cost? Is it usually full? How much is the green fee / rental...etc?
2. From other website, looks like I can use US $$ in Grand Bahamas. Can I ask for the change back in US dollars too?
3. Thinking about eating at Stoned Crab. Do they have cabs outside restaurants, or does the restaurant need to order for you?
4. Anyone has their SPG co-ordinator's email? Hubby just makes PL, and want to see if they can pre-block the upgrade.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.