Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Host Marriott to Purchase 38 Starwood Properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Host Marriott to Purchase 38 Starwood Properties

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
"The hotels will remain in the Starwood system and continue to be managed by Starwood under long-term management agreements."

Host Marriott is a real estate firm. They own hotels operated by: Fairmont, Four Seasons, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Swissotel, and Westin.
That makes this non-news, except for the financial community.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: CO Plat, *wood Plat
I am guessing the 19%+ drop today in Starwood (HOT) can be attributed to this?

Maybe some finance savvy FTers can give us their thoughts.....

Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by geoffriong
I am guessing the 19%+ drop today in Starwood (HOT) can be attributed to this?
As this was announced a long time ago, and todays news is just that the deal closed, I doubt it.

-David
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:11 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
As this was announced a long time ago, and todays news is just that the deal closed, I doubt it.

-David
Actually, I hear that the stock price was adjusted to reflect the sale of these properties to Host. No doubt there will be some kind of word about that circling in the financial realm that can be verified. Like this maybe:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060410/20060410005619.html?.v=1

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Looks like the equivalent of going ex-dividend.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/stocks/Quot...l=HOT.N&rpc=44

NEW YORK, April 7 (Reuters) - Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. (HOT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) on Friday said it planned to delist its Class B shares from listing on the New York Stock Exchange after the market closes on Friday.

Under the terms of the deal, Starwood shareholders will receive Host Marriott shares and cash for their Class B Starwood shares. "
I suspect shareholders will get about $13.60 worth of cash and Host Marriott stock, accounting for the drop.

Also, "Host Marriott also said it would change its name to Host Hotels & Resorts Inc." - hopefully this will avoid future confusion.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:35 pm

Starwood shareholders of record as of last Friday, will be receiving 0.6122 shares of Host Marriott stock and 50.3 cents in cash.

This comes out to approx $13/sh for every HOT share.

Sara
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Actually, I hear that the stock price was adjusted to reflect the sale of these properties to Host. No doubt there will be some kind of word about that circling in the financial realm that can be verified. Like this maybe:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060410/20060410005619.html?.v=1
I didn't realize there was a stock dividend (Host stock, part of the deal). Yes, that would be reflected in the stock price, on the dividend date.

-David
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:19 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *wood Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
Looks like the equivalent of going ex-dividend.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/stocks/Quot...l=HOT.N&rpc=44

I suspect shareholders will get about $13.60 worth of cash and Host Marriott stock, accounting for the drop.

Also, "Host Marriott also said it would change its name to Host Hotels & Resorts Inc." - hopefully this will avoid future confusion.
Thanks for the info. I am not very familiar with market reactions to ex-dividend type payouts like Starwood just completed. Does the ~20% drop possibly include shareholder reaction too or does the payout make today's movement a pure mathematical adjustment? I'm wondering if now might be a good time to buy HOT.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:52 pm

Thanks for the info. I am not very familiar with market reactions to ex-dividend type payouts like Starwood just completed. Does the ~20% drop possibly include shareholder reaction too or does the payout make today's movement a pure mathematical adjustment? I'm wondering if now might be a good time to buy HOT.
A pure mathematical adjustment. (Down 13.44 vs a 13.60 dividend).

-David
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

It's all pure math. When you hold a share of stock worth $100, and the company issues a dividend of $5 (i.e. shareholders get a $5 check for every share they hold), the stock will drop to $95 the next day (absent any other influences).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.