Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't I feel like Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Passport Diamond, UA Premier Plat, WN A-List
Why don't I feel like Platinum?

Another reason why being SPG Platinum is becoming meaningless...at least to me. WHile I enjoy most accomadations at all SPG properties...It is FRUSTRATING (to say the least) to read about the various 'targeted' promos that get out. Why can't SPG share the love with their most loyal members? The last and only promo I received was double stay credit for my SPG stays to "help me qualify for next year". What the @#$^! I had already reached 30 stays this year when I received the promo mailing!!!!
Why can't I get some of the other promos I see posted? Is there something I am missing or don't understand about SPG's marketing...and servicing their most loyal members?
This the reason I have become a more loyal member to Hyatt. They share their promos to all members, and give their Diamonds ADDITIONAL benefits on top of their marketing promos such as their FFN program. Needless to say, Hyatt is becoming my primary choice during my travels...
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:39 am
pdb

I echo your frustrations.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:03 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
This has previously been discussed throughout this forum (I will look for the links and post a bit later). I also echo your frustrations (speaking as a Platinum for the last 2 years). I don't "get" it either. I wish Hyatt had properties where I go for business - I would have taken them up on the Frequent Night promo in a heartbeat!

Although *wood Lurker has explained this several times and the party line is that that is the way it is, etc. I personally (speaking not as a moderator here folks) think that SPG doesn't show appreciation to its loyal customers in the least. I too have not received a promo this year and although Lurker has said that I received one last year it was one that everybody and their brother received and was pretty useless in the long run.

I find it a bit frustrating in that I am rarely upgraded (last 4 stays at hotels no upgrade although not on an inexpensive rate), tried to use the 72 hour Platinum rule to get into a property and was given a hassle and finally "no". I'm beginning to feel as if *wood is like that credit card commercial where everything is "no!"

I am more and more not understanding the logic behind not rewarding loyal members while at the same time gathering new members. Seems rather short-sighted marketing imo.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:41 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Presidents
I agree!!

I really feel that *wood could do a better job taking care of its best customers.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1KUGS, AA Plat., SPG Plat., Hertz Five*
Every stay since making Platinum I have NOT received an upgrade. The last true room upgrade I received was at the Sheraton Universal as a GOLD. When I think about it, Gold got me more upgrades than Platinum.

However, I recently used the Platinum 72-hr policy and received a room at rack rate. It was accompanied by a long speech that they would walk another guest to a different hotel so that I could stay there. They do this to show appreciation for SPG's best guests. blah blah... I did not need the lecture.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Sometimes you feel like a nut...

somtimes you don't.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:55 pm
Suspended

i have 50'ish stays and 100'ish nights this year with less than one handful of suite upgrades. and, about half of the suite upgrades were from the crummy four points sheraton in minneapolis.

this hotel upgrades you to a suite with a king size bed but still manages to give only one 12 ounce bottle of water per room (6 ounces per person if two are in the room) and charges for extra packets of coffee.

but, at least i got the pleasure of booking the stay on the always useful spg.com.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i have 50'ish stays and 100'ish nights this year with less than one handful of suite upgrades. and, about half of the suite upgrades were from the crummy four points sheraton in minneapolis.

this hotel upgrades you to a suite with a king size bed but still manages to give only one 12 ounce bottle of water per room (6 ounces per person if two are in the room) and charges for extra packets of coffee.

but, at least i got the pleasure of booking the stay on the always useful spg.com.
It's been a few months since I've stayed there, how's that concrete bed working out for ya? At least they did upgraded me to a very large suite without asking. Unfortunately the bed was the worst bed I've slept in all year.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
It's been a few months since I've stayed there, how's that concrete bed working out for ya? At least they did upgraded me to a very large suite without asking. Unfortunately the bed was the worst bed I've slept in all year.
i didn't mind the bed. i did mind the hotel being run by bean counters.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:26 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I don't mind getting the double double promo.

Some of us don't mind gett a promo (period).
Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Hotel companies and Starwood in particular are not the only ones which seem to limit promos we find attractive to select members. My far less-frequent-flyer spouse gets far more promos from a legacy carrier than do I. However, i did receive the x2 stays/nights SPG promo which I appreciate as it drives bus. to *Wood while assuring I'll requalify Plat easily.

OTOH, where I think Starwood needs to also focus its promos is on the guest who has earned the status the hard-way, done the nights and stays and incent that guest to even more at Starwood by a meaningful promo. From all the "mattress warriors" we have on the forum, I'm sure we would have heard about such a startegy had SPG implemented it. Those guests are just being allowed to be lured wantonly to the competition without a promo to keep their business for Starwood.

As for general Plat. treatment this year, it's been fine, but then I tend to focus where possible on the properties that have shown in the past good Plat. recognition.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 11, 2005 at 1:56 pm
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Truth be told....$$$

.....Marketing.

Let's be honest here, giant hotel chains or airlines don't care about loyal customers. They care about bringing in the maximum profit. While many of us, especially Platinum members, deserve some sort of recognition or benefits from loyal preferred guest programs, "status" is merely an illusion that we create to make ourselves feel superior than others.

While on the surface, preferred guest programs may look like a reward for customers, they are truthfully just another way of alluring "money payers" to come back.

Promotions are created by a team of highly successful marketers and many of which have received business degrees from top notch universities. They know how to generate revenue.

Think about it from Starwood's perspective. Why would they want to target platinum members when they know for a fact that these loyal customers are already going to bring in the $cash$ consistently? They want to attract the general, gold members or non-members and give them small extras (double stays, points etc) that cost starwood essentially nothing to suck them into becoming revenue generating suckers, I mean platinum members

While it is important that starwood keeps their loyal customers, it is also critical to attract new ones. When an individual achieves the platinum level, he/she is undoubtedly familiar with the company and trust/value the products that they deliever. Like myself, for instance, even if I did not receive the platinum benefits that starwood provided, I would still do business with them because I LOVE W hotels and the products in which they deliever. The bonus benefits are nice, but not a major influence on my decision in choosing a hotel. That's when they transform marketing into operations (Welcome amenities, upgrades etc).

Like Danielle from Big Brother 3 would say: "Nothing personal, just business"
Old Oct 11, 2005, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Think about it from Starwood's perspective. Why would they want to target platinum members when they know for a fact that these loyal customers are already going to bring in the $cash$ consistently?
To bring in more money! Plats who do not get targeted by SPG are getting targeted elsewhere. Thus, they take these offers and move their business. Starwood then does not get the sale and the money.

Moreover, most Plats are business people who spend more than the average guest. The additional sales are lost as well. Look at the Plats on this board. Most have two or more hotel chains they stay at. Most have 50+ stays they dish out each year. I for one would stay exclusively with SPG if I got the promo's that are going around. Since I do not, I split my stays. I will always be sure to make Plat. But, after that I'm a promo whore – selling myself for points.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:54 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
The answer in short is that you have to put yourself in the shoes of SPG and think what would they be thinking.

If you read hospitality megazines, hotel occupancy rates were low the period after 9/11 for a while and due to SARS. IT has sinced picked up in USA, and around the world. In fact in 2006, it is predicted that demand will outlive supply.

I kinda compare Starwood strategy nowadays to SQ, singapore Airlines. For a long time, SQ has always been arrogant and aloof in their customer communications. To them , its all about drawing customers to ensure that money comes in. They therefore do not have an eviable loyalthy programme in the form of Krisflyer for people who fly coach. They always believe in marketing slick and making customers paying a premium where possible.

Starwood can be judged in a similar manner. The only exception is that Starwood has always been a company targeted mainly towards the US market.

A lot of SPG Platimums made it through paying low rates such as government rates and so on even if they are not entitled to and the worse thing is, they have gotten away with it.

Im sure there are lots of SPG Platimums who made it through the legitimate way and paying "best available" rates. But from what i have observed in real life, a lot of SPG Plat members are paying really really low rates. Unfortunately, a lot of properties do not ever check who qualifies for certain rates and a lot of these SPG Plat members expect to be treated like they pay Starwood 1 million dollars of their own money every year or as though the world owes them a living.

I for one, look forwad to the day where a non-american can make it as a SPG Plat without having to pay best available rates all the time. and im only SPG Gold. Maybe its time for ethics to come in???

cheers
Old Oct 12, 2005, 2:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MIKEM
To bring in more money! Plats who do not get targeted by SPG are getting targeted elsewhere. Thus, they take these offers and move their business. Starwood then does not get the sale and the money.
Targetted marketting is a difficult subject. I have to believe that the very smart people at Starwood have analysized the pros and cons of targetting promotions. So I can't argue that opening the promotions would bring in more money when the people in the business and who work daily in the company clearly disagree. Blissworld has wonderfully articulated this situation.

Thus the question becomes, in my mind at least, is the ethics of not giving promos to the frequent customers.

My experience as a platinum member is that Starwood scupulously makes sure that I get all the benefits promised in the program, and often ones not listed. Therefore, since Starwood has not promised me promos, I do not see anything unethical about this practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.