Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEAVING IN 2009: Sheraton Moorea, Tahiti [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEAVING IN 2009: Sheraton Moorea, Tahiti [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Just received another reconfirmation of my reservations at Sheraton Moorea and Sheraton Tahiti for July (using Starwood points). Everything looks good and I'm glad they are still going to accept Starwood points that have already been used to book nights there. This is great news! This came direct from FP central reservations.

Happy New Year 2009 everyone!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:19 am
Community Director Emerita

Hilton Moorea has its website up. This confirms they are one and the same property, as the telephone numbers are identical. It says it will be a Hilton this month. It shows it as a level 6, or 40K points/night. This compares favorably with the 20K points/night charged by Starwood.

The Starwood website still has no announcement about its leaving. I hope that we learn soon what the policy will be for future award reservations already booked.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:28 am

With whom have people been reconfirming? I emailed the reservations email on the Sheraton Moorea website a few days ago and haven't heard back. Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Any guesses on whether there will be any change in whether or how much the hotel will charge guests for upgrades to OWB properties? Is it fair to assume that the actual management will stay the same, even though the affiliation will change from Starwood to Hilton?

Also, do you think the change might involve refurbishment of rooms, along with the attendance construction noise while this goes on?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:15 pm

The hotel now shows up on the Hilton website, but still does not show as leaving on the Starwood website. Starwood Lurker, once you are able to do so, it would be very helpful to let us know if Starwood will honor reward bookings, or if we must rebook with Hilton.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
February Points Reservation

Since the hotel hasn't announced it's departure, I'm asking the platinum concierge to ensure that the Sheraton Moorea will honor my February points reservation. I'll post when I know more.

-- CaptainG
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
...Starwood Lurker, once you are able to do so, it would be very helpful to let us know if Starwood will honor reward bookings, or if we must rebook with Hilton.
Originally Posted by CaptainG
Since the hotel hasn't announced it's departure, I'm asking the platinum concierge to ensure that the Sheraton Moorea will honor my February points reservation. I'll post when I know more.

-- CaptainG
We should know their disposition any day now. I would not bother calling the Customer Contact Center. They are not going to be able to tell you anything with any certainty, even if they call the resorts on your behalf. I would wait for a communication from SPG, which will be a collaboration between the properties' owner and Starwood.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Property leaves 15 Jan 2009, will honor exisitng bookings

In my inbox at 1014 this AM:

Per your request with Platinum Concierge, please find attached the list of activities for Moorea. Also at the same time we would

Like to take this opportunity to inform you of the below. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please contact your

Platinum Concierge @ 1 888 625 4991.

On January 15, 2009, The Sheraton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa will no longer be a part of STARWOOD Hotels & Resorts. Although it will remain in operation and all existing and new bookings will be honored, the hotel will not be participating in any STARWOOD sponsored programs, including STARWOOD Preferred Guest, airline partner or other partner affinity programs. Therefore, no SPG points or airline miles will be awarded for stays from January 15, 2009. STARWOOD will continue to manage the St. Regis Bora Bora, Le Meridien Bora Bora and Le Meridien Tahiti. Thank you for your support and patronage.

Sincerely,

St. Regis Hotels & Resorts and The Luxury Collection| STARWOOD Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CaptainG
... Therefore, no SPG points or airline miles will be awarded for stays from January 15, 2009. STARWOOD will continue to manage the St. Regis Bora Bora, Le Meridien Bora Bora and Le Meridien Tahiti.
Aren't these hotels leaving also?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Aren't these hotels leaving also?
No, The Sheraton's are leaving, but the Le Meridien's are staying with Starwood for the forseeable future.

-- CaptainG
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:36 am

At last, on the Starwood website:

Leaving Starwood on January 15, 2009

On January 15, 2009 the Sheraton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa will no longer be part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Although it will remain in operation and all existing and new bookings will be honored, the hotel will not be participating in any Starwood sponsored programs, including Starwood Preferred Guest, airline partner or other affinity programs. Therefore, no SPG points or airline miles will be awarded for stays from January 15, 2009 onwards. Starwood will continue to manage the St. Regis Bora Bora, Le Méridien Bora Bora and Le Méridien Tahiti. Thank you for your support and patronage.
William, can you clarify if the bolded statement means that award bookings will be honored?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:41 am

Award bookings will be honored

I am happy to report that I have received an email from the property manager, stating that future award bookings WILL be honored. Bravo, Starwood!

Our records indicate that you have a reservation past January 15th, and the owner has agreed to honor all confirmed room rates and reservations including SPG Award redemption bookings. However, since the hotel will not be participating in any Starwood sponsored programs after the 15th, no SPG points will be awarded for your stay. Should you wish to modify your reservation, please contact one of our customer service representatives and they will be happy to assist you. Otherwise your reservation will remain as confirmed.
Bolding is mine.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Yes, all bookings including with SPG Awards will be honored by the owner, Louis Wane Societes des Hotels Tahitien S.A. Any of you that have a reservation for the Starwood managed hotels in FP that are going to be managed differently in the near future probably already received the email with the great news!

From email:
"...the owner has agreed to honor all confirmed room rates and reservations including SPG Award redemption bookings."

So, all is well! The only thing that will be affected when you are there is you won't be able to gain Starwood points for the stay or spending, dining. But, I'll plan on taking my Hilton credit card to use for spending at the resorts (dining, spa, etc) and gain those points.

A BIG thank you to the owner, Louis Wane Societes des Hotels Tahitien S.A. for agreeing to honor all bookings!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:03 am

While I'm quite relieved that all reservations will be honored, since we're scheduled to arrive there next week . . . it does bring up an interesting question for us. . . should we keep the Starwood redemption and hope that as a platinum, they would still treat us well, or cancel that reservations and use HHonors points to try to redeem it as lowly gold members?

I do value Starwood points a little higher so I think my 20,000 points per night is worth slightly more than the 40,000 Hhonors points. For you guys that have status on both programs, are you planning to keep your Starwood redemptions?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IC Amb.
Originally Posted by Lulu
For you guys that have status on both programs, are you planning to keep your Starwood redemptions?
I am in a very similar situation. I booked using cash and points (8,000 SPG + $150 per night) and I am also SPG Platinum and Hilton Gold. I have decided to leave my reservation as is for now. I would say that 40,000 HH points is a way better deal than 20,000 SPG points, but I guess that depends on how many of each that you have. I don't think they will give you any special treatment as SPG Platinum, but you do have a chance at something with your HHonors status.

On a side note, we are only staying for two days in mid February but I would appreciate any tips on cheap eating or activities that you may be able to share when you get back.

Thanks,
David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.