FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   FAQ: Starwood policy: guarantee bedding and smoking preference on paid/award stays (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/461147-faq-starwood-policy-guarantee-bedding-smoking-preference-paid-award-stays.html)

djohannw Aug 21, 2014 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker III (Post 23399194)
Hi djohannw,

Room types are guaranteed. You will receive the room with the review as approved.

So just out of curiosity - what makes these BRG-reservations less "paid" than a regular one? It is not something like IHG where the first night is free but it is just a lower price...I really do not get the reasoning behind that.

On a related note: Is all of this posted somewhere in writing were I can actually review the exclusion of rooms at a BRG rate from the bedding-type guarantee? The BRG T&Cs do not have this exclusion in there if I am not mistaken...

Greetings - Dirk

pWei Aug 21, 2014 7:32 pm

What about discounts? Does use of AAA, AARP, Government, Corporate or other promo rates invalidate the bed type guarantee?

Pa Kettle Aug 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by pWei (Post 23403457)
What about discounts? Does use of AAA, AARP, Government, Corporate or other promo rates invalidate the bed type guarantee?

It hasn't before. Probably not now either.

mahasamatman Aug 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23399381)
So in conclusion, if the reservation is booked on a BRG rate, the room type is guaranteed but bed type isn't.

That's never been my experience. They don't take bed type into account for the BRG (because they claim that no third-party site guarantees bed type), but the room and bed type you book on spg.com are the room and bed type you should always get.

uxb Aug 22, 2014 6:01 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 23403658)
That's never been my experience. They don't take bed type into account for the BRG (because they claim that no third-party site guarantees bed type), but the room and bed type you book on spg.com are the room and bed type you should always get.

The problem here is that you must match room AND bed type in order to get a BRG claim approved. Considering these requirements, it should be reasonable to assume that you will get EXACTLY what you sought in claim submission. It's definitely left me scratching my head. :confused:

supatight80 Aug 22, 2014 10:09 am

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 23405155)
The problem here is that you must match room AND bed type in order to get a BRG claim approved. Considering these requirements, it should be reasonable to assume that you will get EXACTLY what you sought in claim submission. It's definitely left me scratching my head. :confused:

IME, i had several brg claims approved where competitive website shows 1 single bed or 2 queens but spg.com doesnt offer such bed type at time of booking. As long as room type is the same, i did not encounter any problems getting my claim denied because of bed type.

uxb Aug 22, 2014 10:27 am

Originally Posted by supatight80 (Post 23406407)
IME, i had several brg claims approved where competitive website shows 1 single bed or 2 queens but spg.com doesnt offer such bed type at time of booking. As long as room type is the same, i did not encounter any problems getting my claim denied because of bed type.

Yeah. I don't want to stray into meta. My experience has been the opposite, and I've done a lot of BRGs over the last few years.

Land-of-Miles Oct 22, 2014 4:48 am

Do Starwood guarantee bed type booked?

I booked a king and am currently showing a twin non upgraded room at a LC property. Is the change of bed type in line with the minimal brand standards?

Out of my Element Oct 22, 2014 5:30 am

Did you book with points or with cash?

controller1 Oct 22, 2014 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles (Post 23715333)
I booked a king and am currently showing a twin non upgraded room at a LC property. Is the change of bed type in line with the minimal brand standards?

Bed type booked is guaranteed with paid reservations. Bed type booked is not guaranteed with award reservations.

fivenue Oct 22, 2014 7:53 am

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 23715470)
Bed type booked is guaranteed with paid reservations. Bed type booked is not guaranteed with award reservations.

not necessarily true in my case. few times i reserved/paid for king, and got double, or vice versa.
but then again, i have low expectation, other than a place to crash, plus access to lounge, while doing business travel.

3Cforme Oct 22, 2014 8:09 am

Lurker has explained the bed type & smoking preference guarantee with paid reservations. Take it to the bank. (That's not to say some properties won't fight...)

Land-of-Miles Oct 22, 2014 9:26 am

This is a paid reservation.

Thank you.

margarita girl Oct 22, 2014 10:16 am

There is an FAQ on this subject. Here you go.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ml#post4436987

PTahCha Oct 22, 2014 2:58 pm

That sounds like a downgrade. Same thing happened to me at W NY, going from a King to a twin sized bed. Not acceptable.

I would ask the hotel to rectify the situation, and if they claim room type is not guaranteed, escalate to Corporate Customer Service.