FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   FAQ: Starwood policy: guarantee bedding and smoking preference on paid/award stays (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/461147-faq-starwood-policy-guarantee-bedding-smoking-preference-paid-award-stays.html)

Starwood Lurker Apr 26, 2010 9:47 am

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05 (Post 13844167)
Thank you Thyetus, and I am going to assume your response was meant with a hint of humor. It does answer my question though, in that there is no real incentive for someone to report a breach of bedding/smoking guarantee in that, aside from Starwood benefiting by being paid a fine from the hotel, there is no compensatory benefit for the guest for being denied booked bedding preference. Admittedly, this is not as big of an issue when one receives two beds instead of one (yes, you might have to sleep apart from your spouse/partner for the night, but is that seriously going to threaten your relationship) as opposed to the opposite where it might necessitate sleeping with someone you do not really know, but without such a guarantee in place of the property actually being sanctioned (in a way in which the guest sees a benefit) for denying bedding or smoking preference, I do not see an incentive to book with SPG.

If by incentive you mean compensation to the guest, no...that is left to the property to decide. Some will and some won't, depending on the severity of the issue. But, a hotel that does not comply with offering the room type and bedding sold is subject to a room type discrepancy charge and the fees that result from such a charge. So, in my mind, your incentive is to report instances such as these so that a) the property is incented to change their practice so as not to get any more files and pay the fees, and b) you will help any future guests avoid the same issue.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

schley Apr 26, 2010 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 13845101)
If by incentive you mean compensation to the guest, no...that is left to the property to decide. Some will and some won't, depending on the severity of the issue. But, a hotel that does not comply with offering the room type and bedding sold is subject to a room type discrepancy charge and the fees that result from such a charge. So, in my mind, your incentive is to report instances such as these so that a) the property is incented to change their practice so as not to get any more files and pay the fees, and b) you will help any future guests avoid the same issue.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Or you can negotiate with the property by telling them you will call Corporate which they will then have to pay to them. Thus they can save their customer satisfaction rating and simply compensate the guest. I appreciate this information.

mahasamatman Apr 26, 2010 10:12 am

Originally Posted by schley (Post 13845214)
Or you can negotiate with the property by telling them you will call Corporate which they will then have to pay to them.

This approach seems a little self-centered to me. Yes, it's nice to be compensated, but not reporting it simply screws the next person because it won't change their behaviour.

schley Apr 26, 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 13845276)
This approach seems a little self-centered to me. Yes, it's nice to be compensated, but not reporting it simply screws the next person because it won't change their behaviour.

I knew you would like it. ;)

meng79 Apr 26, 2010 2:05 pm

I checked into the Sheraton HK today and the FD agent gave me a smoking room even though my reservation states non-smoking, what really riles me is that he didn't even have the courtesy to inform me of the change and snuck it past me.

I was out in a hurry and didn't noticed until I had a good smell when I got back.

I've learned that being nice here won't do any good and will be making a complaint in the morning.

BigBopper Apr 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by meng79 (Post 13846852)
I checked into the Sheraton HK today and the FD agent gave me a smoking room even though my reservation states non-smoking, what really riles me is that he didn't even have the courtesy to inform me of the change and snuck it past me.

I was out in a hurry and didn't noticed until I had a good smell when I got back.

I've learned that being nice here won't do any good and will be making a complaint in the morning.

Good luck. I had the same problem there in October. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for a new room and basically replied "but it's a suite". No one from management was ever available when I repeatedly complained. Finally, I got an email from the Towers manager 2 days after I checked out. Obviously, at that point it was simply too late.

schley Apr 26, 2010 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by BigBopper (Post 13848664)
Good luck. I had the same problem there in October. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for a new room and basically replied "but it's a suite". No one from management was ever available when I repeatedly complained. Finally, I got an email from the Towers manager 2 days after I checked out. Obviously, at that point it was simply too late.

Did you call corporate? As per the lurkers you can call up to a year after the incident.

BigBopper Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by schley (Post 13849511)
Did you call corporate? As per the lurkers you can call up to a year after the incident.

No. I wanted a non smoking room. Calling corporate when I got home isn't going to turn back the clock and fix my room. I simply will not stay there again.

schley Apr 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by BigBopper (Post 13853238)
No. I wanted a non smoking room. Calling corporate when I got home isn't going to turn back the clock and fix my room. I simply will not stay there again.

As Maha points out that isn't helping the rest of the guests who could possibly stay after you, and experience the same treatment you did. Calling corportate, although a couple minutes out of your day, could help rectify this problem with some intervention.

hch Sep 4, 2010 7:10 am

Just checked out prices for a Sheraton and they actually offer the two single bed rooms for $50 less a night than the one king room. I guess that's a way for them to work around that guarantee?

LuckDragon Feb 6, 2011 2:55 pm

Just checked in at Westin San Diego Gaslamp and was told I could not have my room preference because I booked under the convention rate. I believe this is considered a paid rate and that my request should be honored. Should I pursue with the front desk or are they correct in saying the convention rate somehow dissolves my membership benefits? Thanks for your advice and help.

RogerD408 Feb 6, 2011 4:44 pm

Sounds like an excuse to me...

Call the Plat Line and ask them if they can help "educate" the front desk. They certainly can't make new rooms, but making it someone else's problem might make you feel better.

justspg Feb 6, 2011 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by LuckDragon (Post 15814886)
Just checked in at Westin San Diego Gaslamp and was told I could not have my room preference because I booked under the convention rate. I believe this is considered a paid rate and that my request should be honored. Should I pursue with the front desk or are they correct in saying the convention rate somehow dissolves my membership benefits? Thanks for your advice and help.

Are you with a group in house? If so, most group contracts consist of a run of the house unless specified for certain people.

WineAGcom Mar 7, 2011 4:04 am

Starwood NEEDS TO GUARANTEE BED TYPE

Only recently, via this site, did I ran across the fact that Starwood doesn't guarantee bed type for award stays. I was quite surprised... it's a ridiculous policy and it needs to be changed.

When you book an award stay, the web site shows availability for KING or 2 BEDS, etc. as separate listings, just as it does for paid bookings. This leads to the expectation that the guest will receive this room type when they check in.

When making ANY type of reservation... hotel, air, car, restaurant, etc. it's all about managing EXPECTATIONS. It's also terrible form to have a different policy for paid vs. "hard earned" award stays... weather it's room type, upgrades, or any other aspect of the stay. An elite member should be given the same treatment a guest weather or not they paid for the room with dollars or points (to me points are like dollars... a form of currency).

In actual practice, I've never had a problem getting the room type I've requested when booking with points (which is why I never realized it's not guaranteed)... but I see that it does happen. In any event, like Marriott, it should be a stated policy... so easy to do... and also the right thing to do.

DownUnderFlyer Mar 7, 2011 4:18 am

Originally Posted by WineAGcom (Post 15988355)
Only recently, via this site, did I ran across the fact that Starwood doesn't guarantee bed type for award stays. I was quite surprised... it's a ridiculous policy and it needs to be changed.

When you book an award stay, the web site shows availability for KING or 2 BEDS, etc. as separate listings, just as it does for paid bookings. This leads to the expectation that the guest will receive this room type when they check in.

When making ANY type of reservation... hotel, air, car, restaurant, etc. it's all about managing EXPECTATIONS. It's also terrible form to have a different policy for paid vs. "hard earned" award stays... weather it's room type, upgrades, or any other aspect of the stay. An elite member should be given the same treatment a guest weather or not they paid for the room with dollars or points (to me points are like dollars... a form of currency).

In actual practice, I've never had a problem getting the room type I've requested when booking with points (which is why I never realized it's not guaranteed)... but I see that it does happen. In any event, like Marriott, it should be a stated policy... so easy to do... and also the right thing to do.

I agree. In some European countries the T&C clause which Starwood uses would be null and void anyway. Consumer laws in countries like Germany prohibit "surprise" clauses and every tribunal/court would agree that if a reservation says "King Bed" than having a small clause in the fineprint can not override this.