FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   FAQ: Starwood policy: guarantee bedding and smoking preference on paid/award stays (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/461147-faq-starwood-policy-guarantee-bedding-smoking-preference-paid-award-stays.html)

SleepDoc May 6, 2009 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 11705680)
Alright guys, I sent them an email and explained the situation and that I was not seeking compensation since the hotel did compensate me at the time, only requesting that they make sure the hotel's staff is aware of the proper policy.

^^ I think the majority of us appreciate you did this as it will hopefully ensure that this property abides by the guarantee. Let us know how it turns out. I'm sure it'll entail in some sort of apology from the GM of the property and although you did specifically state that you weren't seeking add'l compensation (which shows you're the better person in the situation) you may still be rewarded some add'l points or refund IMO. We shall see though!

1flyer1 Oct 26, 2009 4:14 pm

I am looking on the T&Cs and can't find the bedding guarantee anywhere. Is it still in effect?
Thanks in advance.

mahasamatman Oct 26, 2009 4:42 pm

I think it's a corporate "requirement", but is not listed in the T&C anywhere. But it all depends on the hotel - as you can see above people do get denied.

stevekoe Nov 2, 2009 12:19 am

I posted in a different thread about a recent stay that I had at a Luxury Collection property where they were not able to give my reserved bed type upon check-in. I was much less upset about the two beds than the fact that the check-in agent flat out lied to me when I questioned whether or not I had booked a room with two beds or a king. At the time, I lamented that I wasn't staying at a Marriott property - as they back up their guarantee with some regular-spending American greenbacks. I, too, believed that at Starwood that room/bed type was just a preference. While I am glad to have stumbled onto this thread - and do plan to follow up with Corporate Customer Service - it would be nice if Starwood had a formal written policy with respect to what compensation one is entitled to based on this guarantee.

I think we all believe that a guarantee is not much of a guarantee without there being some repercussions. Unfortunately, it seems as though the easiest way to solve any customer service problem is to throw points at the situation. I am not sure that actually solves the problem - and paints some as just chasing freebie points. Now, at the end of the day, it seems as though the only point in complaining is to see what you can get for nothing.

SanDiego1K Apr 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 4438549)
On a paid rate, room preferences, such as bedding type and smoking preferences, are guaranteed. If you did not get what you reserved, then you should call Corporate Customer Service to report it. 800-328-6242.

AZ Travels the World and I were attending the same meeting in LA this past weekend. We were checking in for our respective rooms at the Westin LAX. One of us was not initially given the room type that was booked. The front desk clerk changed the room to the preferred bedding, but adamantly insisted there was no guarantee on bed type. Yes, we were each on paid stays. I just found it interesting that the clerk was so adamantly wrong.

mahasamatman Apr 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 13840996)
I just found it interesting that the clerk was so adamantly wrong.

I've had three such denials in the past year.

sbtinme Apr 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 13840996)
I just found it interesting that the clerk was so adamantly wrong.

As I posted in another thread within the past year, I stayed at a Sheraton last fall where they went so far as to hang a framed placard sign to the left of the front desk announcing that "reserved room types are always 'requests only' -- room types are never guaranteed."

I reported it to Starwood Customer Care after the front desk manager told me that policy was correct.

In fairness, I'm experiencing this issue a lot less frequently than I used to. Five years ago, I was dealing with this about 20% of the time, it seemed.

Starwood Lurker II Apr 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 13841060)
I've had three such denials in the past year.

You can report to me to if there are such issues.

Thank you.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

mahasamatman Apr 25, 2010 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II (Post 13842419)
You can report to me to if there are such issues.

I handled one case myself through insistence, and reported the other two cases to Customer Care because those hotels could not be convinced. One of those (where they denied both smoking and bed type) was eventually addressed satisfactorily, and the other (bed type only) was not, but I'm not dwelling on that one. When it happens again, I'll let you know. As always, thanks.

Though a published policy on the web site would take some of the burden off of you, William, and rest of the Customer Care team.

Starwood Lurker II Apr 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 13842492)
Though a published policy on the web site would might take some of the burden off of you, William, and rest of the Customer Care team.

Thanks for giving me a brilliant suggestion.:)

[email protected]

schley Apr 25, 2010 10:59 pm

I assume (although I never assume which is why I'm asking this clarification) that the following are Run of the House room situations where smoking and bed type AREN'T guaranteed?

1. Free Weekend Nights
2. Cash and points

Thanks

Starwood Lurker II Apr 26, 2010 12:14 am

Originally Posted by schley (Post 13843013)
I assume (although I never assume which is why I'm asking this clarification) that the following are Run of the House room situations where smoking and bed type AREN'T guaranteed?

1. Free Weekend Nights
2. Cash and points

Thanks

Nope. For both cases, smoking and bed preferences aren't guaranteed.

[email protected]

NDDomer86 Apr 26, 2010 12:19 am

Is there an actual penalty for not honoring smoking or bedding preference on a paid stay, or is it just documented for statistical purposes and the hotel given a slap on the wrist? Hyatt offers 5,000 GP points (2,500 at SS and HP) if the bedding or smoking preference isn't honored for an elite (including on award stays) and Marriott gives $100 cash for the same.

Starwood Lurker II Apr 26, 2010 3:49 am

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05 (Post 13843202)
Is there an actual penalty for not honoring smoking or bedding preference on a paid stay, or is it just documented for statistical purposes and the hotel given a slap on the wrist? Hyatt offers 5,000 GP points (2,500 at SS and HP) if the bedding or smoking preference isn't honored for an elite (including on award stays) and Marriott gives $100 cash for the same.

Penalty? If you are looking for a police patrol that would fine properties that aren't adhering to the smoking and bedding requirements for paid stays, then the best department to report this would be Customer Care. Call or email them and request for the issue to be documented. Once a Customer Service file for this issue is created, the property will be subjected to the possibility of being charged for the "penalty".

[email protected]

NDDomer86 Apr 26, 2010 7:05 am

Thank you Thyetus, and I am going to assume your response was meant with a hint of humor. It does answer my question though, in that there is no real incentive for someone to report a breach of bedding/smoking guarantee in that, aside from Starwood benefiting by being paid a fine from the hotel, there is no compensatory benefit for the guest for being denied booked bedding preference. Admittedly, this is not as big of an issue when one receives two beds instead of one (yes, you might have to sleep apart from your spouse/partner for the night, but is that seriously going to threaten your relationship) as opposed to the opposite where it might necessitate sleeping with someone you do not really know, but without such a guarantee in place of the property actually being sanctioned (in a way in which the guest sees a benefit) for denying bedding or smoking preference, I do not see an incentive to book with SPG.