Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Maldives pre opening discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
The air transfers pretty much have to be booked through the hotel - I have asked corp services the same question and they said they will get it in writing, but since the hotel changed my rate and reservation number unilaterally and I have had to involve cs before I am even there... just doesn't seem like the kind of place that is going to be very customer friendly
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much of an increase? I remember rates being approximately $700/$1300/$2000/$5000

This is really unfortunate.. I guess I'll definitely be avoiding them, unless they end up doing Gold/Plat upgrades..
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

estnet, I was able to use a Diamond force, and get 4 nights at the Hilton Maldives for 125K AXON award. If you have maintained your Hilton Diamond status, it's an option to consider.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
There are so many awesome hotels in the Maldives. I picked up a deal on the Soneva Gilli on luxurylink. Very very nice hotel. No points but man pure luxury. You can see white tip sharks and moray eels from your port holes in your bathroom floor.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 5:12 pm

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
Originally Posted by tfong007
There are so many awesome hotels in the Maldives. I picked up a deal on the Soneva Gilli on luxurylink. Very very nice hotel. No points but man pure luxury. You can see white tip sharks and moray eels from your port holes in your bathroom floor.
This is so true. LOT's of really nice properties there. I wouldn't want to stay at any place when it is just opening, preferring to wait until the kinks are worked out. Particularly when paying those rates.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:00 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Plus, I gotta say, I've seen a map of the island and the place is little and PACKED with villas. I can't imagine being there when it's even remotely full up - the size of that island cannot accomodate all of the guests. There are many nicer places to stay in the Maldives!
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<gone for now>

A-W-Z brochure and rates for W Maldives.

PM me when link dies and I'll reupload.

edit - direct download stopped working so ill rehost

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 30, 2006 at 4:37 pm
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://38.119.88.14/a845d3970fd8b829...W_Maldives.zip

A-W-Z brochure and rates for W Maldives.

PM me when link dies and I'll reupload.
Link didn't work for me. The .zip file downloaded shows as 0 bytes.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
links works for me, it redirects to a file hosting site, and then you download from there.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by A320 EOW
Guests arriving at Male' International Airport are invited into an exclusive W Lounge where they will begin their journey into paradise before boarding a seaplane and flying to the private island of Fesdu.
More on the seaplane from the hotel's website. I guess if you have flown there and are paying $700+/night, another $275/person for the last leg isn't that much.

Oh, and it's a category 6 with limited participation.

Exclusive Transportation to Hotel

The only transportation to the hotel is via Male Seaplane Airport. Arrival flight information is required so that the hotel can make seaplane reservations. Travel is 30 minutes to the hotel. Seaplane round trip cost is $275 per adult. This cost includes a service charge of 10% and the seaplane operates during daylight hours only. Please contact the resort for further information and to confirm transportation.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:46 pm

Looks like the property opened

in late September. I'm eagerly awaiting a FT post on a visit to this hotel. It does appear that *wood is promoting the opening on the spg.com website with an introductory offer of $700-800/night.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Bucko
in late September. I'm eagerly awaiting a FT post on a visit to this hotel. It does appear that *wood is promoting the opening on the spg.com website with an introductory offer of $700-800/night.
Regular rate after the special is $1100 per night. Just checked dates for Oct 2007.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 4:29 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
How about the "compulsory" dinner for each guest at $200 ea, plus 10%, on NY's Eve, per the orbitz posting UPTravel refers to above:

http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewSpecif...09&gtkw=175248

======================
"On December 31, 2006, the New Year's Eve dinner supplement is compulsory for all guests. Dinner is served at Fish (a la carte menu) or Fire (buffet style). Cost is USD $200 + 10% service charge per person. Please contact the resort for further information."
======================

I wonder if this may be the first property that will start charging for use of public restrooms.

Ridiculous shake-down. Starwood, get a grip.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MANY resorts do that. it is also common for high end resort properties to require 1 or 2 week minimum stays over new year's.

I agree it is overpriced though. I was very disappointed with the floorplans and the island.

But, if people pay it, there is no reason for Starwood to actually compete with lux properties, since they can get the same rates for less substance.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 15, 2006 at 2:09 pm
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:59 pm

Programs: MUCCI Diamante- that's all that matters
W Maldives

Hi guys,

Has anyone stayed at the W Maldives and what was it like? Can you recommend it? or is One & Only better?

thanks
arpiuk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.