Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golf AND Nightlife

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Golf AND Nightlife

I am looking to burn some starpoints this summer, preferably at or close to a golf resort. So my question is what Starwood properties out there should I consider? I am in my mid-20s and am going with a bunch of buddies. So we're looking for someplace that has golf but also has a vibrant dinner and bar scene nearby. Trying to stay in the lower 48, but also entertaining Europe or Hawaii.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
The Westin Kierland in Scottsdale has 27 holes of golf, plus a ton of other great courses within 20 minutes. Scottsdale Nightlife is outstanding, and the Kierland Mall which is walking distance has plenty of good restaurants to eat/mingle with AZ's finest. That would be my choice.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
The Westin Kierland in Scottsdale has 27 holes of golf, plus a ton of other great courses within 20 minutes. Scottsdale Nightlife is outstanding, and the Kierland Mall which is walking distance has plenty of good restaurants to eat/mingle with AZ's finest. That would be my choice.

I was going to suggest that also.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:34 am

Programs: Starwood Hotels, Alaska Air, Delta/Northwest Air
I agree that Scottsdale is a great choice if you don't mind the heat (it's not THAT bad!). There aren't a whole lot of nightlife options right near the hotel, but it's a short drive to Old Town Scottsdale where there are a ton of clubs and bars. Near the Kierland you have Barcelona (nightclub/bar/restaurant) and Fox Sports Grill.

I can also recommend going to San Diego. Not only is the weather great, but you have plenty of golf options (and Gaslamp Quarter for nightlife). The W Hotel is supposed to be really nice, and it's walking distance to Gaslamp.

If the heat doesn't bother you, why not go to Las Vegas? You've got the Aladdin on the Strip as well as the Westin just off the Strip. There are many great golf courses to choose from and you've got enough nightlife to keep you busy for a year. I recommend Drai's inside the Barbary Coast (just a block away from the Westin) for your late night scenery. It's about a mile from the Westin to Gordon Biersch (a good place to start your night) and about 2 miles to Hofbrauhaus.

If you choose Scottsdale or Las Vegas, you'll find prices much lower for hotels and golf.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I think the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale is a great choice eight months out of the year. But, unless your group is used to the extreme heat and doesn't mind it, I wouldn't try it -- there is a reason the rates are so low (relatively speaking) during the summer. Don't buy the "it's a dry heat" or "it's really not that bad" stuff. It can definitely be "that bad." My friends from California absolutely die when they come here to golf in the summer -- a mistake they usually make only once.

You can't beat the golf in Hawaii. If you want active night life, the Maui area is probably your best bet (Kapalua, in particular -- they have some wonderful villa options in that resort, though they are not part of Starwood.). The nightlife is better in Waikiki, but the golf isn't as good. You could easily take a ferry one or two days from Maui over to Lanai to play at two of the very best courses in the world -- The Experience at Koele and The Challenge at Manele. The ferries run at times that easily facilitate such a day trip. Those are courses you will not soon forget.

If Europe is an option I'd go to Scotland starting at the Westin Turnberry and then moving around in that area. The nightlife is different -- more Pub style, but what a great overall experience.

Good luck!
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:24 pm

The St Regis Monarch Beach is nearby and has everything you're looking for. Newport Beach and Irvine should take care of the nightlife and it's next to an excellent golf course.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 1:38 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
I agree with PHXMike, especially considering how you described yourselves. Golf is acceptable in the early AM, but if you're going to stay up very late at the clubs, I can't imagine you would want to get up at 7 AM to play golf.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:24 pm

If you choose Scottsdale or Las Vegas, you'll find prices much lower for hotels and golf.[/QUOTE]

If you go to Vegas, there's a spectacular course about 90 minutes away in Mesquite near the Nevada-Utah border called Wolf Creek. It's in the canyons and I suspect not as hot as Las Vegas (not sure about that though).
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: Starwood Hotels, Alaska Air, Delta/Northwest Air
Originally Posted by Da5id
If you choose Scottsdale or Las Vegas, you'll find prices much lower for hotels and golf.
If you go to Vegas, there's a spectacular course about 90 minutes away in Mesquite near the Nevada-Utah border called Wolf Creek. It's in the canyons and I suspect not as hot as Las Vegas (not sure about that though).
Mesquite is comparable temperature-wise to Vegas. I played the Casablanca two days in a row one summer and it was 115 out both days. St. George, Utah might be a little cooler?
Old Jun 8, 2005, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld
The St Regis Monarch Beach is nearby and has everything you're looking for. Newport Beach and Irvine should take care of the nightlife and it's next to an excellent golf course.
One of my favorite resorts...but I don't think your buds will want to pay $195 for a round of golf. Twighlight rates are $125.

You may want to look into Westin Innisbrook....Palm Harbor FL. They have 72 holes of golf....not far from Tampa, etc. I am also a big fan of the Westin Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage CA (Palm Springs)...two courses there (Pete Dye and Gary Player). Rates are very reasonable in the summer and if you tee off between 6-7am you can beat the heat and finish by 10-11am with temps in the 90s.

My two cents worth...

Last edited by Richard_SVO_SPG_Platinum; Jun 8, 2005 at 2:58 pm
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As said, I'd suggest Scottsdale (depending on the time of year).
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat; SPG Plat
La Cantera in San Antonio. San Antonio has some fantastic golf courses and there is nightlife at the Riverwalk (Westin Riverwalk is also a very nice hotel).

I'd also recommend Scottsdale. If you can stand the heat, you can play the best courses in Phoenix pretty cheap during the summer.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
Dude... Think Cabo! I did this myself back in March. Same situation as you, kinda. Late 20's, bunch of buddies, wanting some sun, fun and golf. Great courses in Cabo. The Westin hotel there on the beach was phenomenal. I cashed in points for 3 of 5 nights, hooked up with some hotties in the pool and at the beach, and shot some low rounds on the great courses. What can be better??

Originally Posted by boolean64
I am looking to burn some starpoints this summer, preferably at or close to a golf resort. So my question is what Starwood properties out there should I consider? I am in my mid-20s and am going with a bunch of buddies. So we're looking for someplace that has golf but also has a vibrant dinner and bar scene nearby. Trying to stay in the lower 48, but also entertaining Europe or Hawaii.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 6:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I vote for the Kierland. A friend and I went there a few years ago (right after they opened) in the summer - it was great! Courses were open, drink lady came around in the cart while we played, nice nightlife. The heat really isn't ALL that bad The resort is lovely. Nice pools as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.