Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

cancelling a non-refundable reservation made 2 hours ago? help, please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cancelling a non-refundable reservation made 2 hours ago? help, please

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, USAir CP
Unhappy cancelling a non-refundable reservation made 2 hours ago? help, please

I just made a reservation two hours ago at the Sheraton Suites in Old Town Alexandria, for two weeks from now. I just found out I had to cancel the trip, and called to do so. I had booked the trip on spg.com, which I always use, but foolishly did not notice that the "buy 5 nights get 25% off" promotion, which I used made the reservation non refundable (I always make my DC reservations at this hotel or another Sheraton and they're always changeable, so it didn't even occur to me to look - I just clicked through the same screens as always).

I realize this is due to my own stupidity in not noticing, but was hoping that since I'm a gold member (through actual revenue-producing business) and I literally just made the reservation two hours ago, there might be someway to cancel it without penalty. I tried both the gold line and calling the hotel directly, and both times got a "too bad". The hotel person was pretty rude and also kept insisted on covering how even if i'd booked it 10 seconds ago instead of 2 hours ago they wouldn't let me cancel it without a $200 penalty. I understand that I made a mistake by not reading the T&Cs fully but given that I realized my mistake right away and thus didn't keep the room off the market, and given that I'm a good customer who's never tried to pull anything like this before, you'd think in the interests of customer satisfaction they might be willing to help me out, or at least be polite about refusing.

DOes anyone have any other thoughts on how I could handle this? Lurker, is there any way that you'd be able to help?
Old May 3, 2005, 12:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Letisko
I just made a reservation two hours ago at the Sheraton Suites in Old Town Alexandria, for two weeks from now. I just found out I had to cancel the trip, and called to do so. I had booked the trip on spg.com, which I always use, but foolishly did not notice that the "buy 5 nights get 25% off" promotion, which I used made the reservation non refundable (I always make my DC reservations at this hotel or another Sheraton and they're always changeable, so it didn't even occur to me to look - I just clicked through the same screens as always).

I realize this is due to my own stupidity in not noticing, but was hoping that since I'm a gold member (through actual revenue-producing business) and I literally just made the reservation two hours ago, there might be someway to cancel it without penalty. I tried both the gold line and calling the hotel directly, and both times got a "too bad". The hotel person was pretty rude and also kept insisted on covering how even if i'd booked it 10 seconds ago instead of 2 hours ago they wouldn't let me cancel it without a $200 penalty. I understand that I made a mistake by not reading the T&Cs fully but given that I realized my mistake right away and thus didn't keep the room off the market, and given that I'm a good customer who's never tried to pull anything like this before, you'd think in the interests of customer satisfaction they might be willing to help me out, or at least be polite about refusing.

DOes anyone have any other thoughts on how I could handle this? Lurker, is there any way that you'd be able to help?
Sorry. I can't help with hotel-related issues, but Hotel Customer Service can go to the hotel on your behalf and ask them to forgive the cancel policy. You can reach them at 800-328-6242.

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old May 3, 2005, 12:17 pm

Remind them of the Lanesborough.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold,United 2P
Go to the top

I would call the hotel and ask to speak to a front desk manager , it may be counter-productive to try to explain the situation to the first person you speak to at the front desk,as they may not have the authority to cancel your reservation without penalty.
If the manager can't wave the cancellation fee , drop the subject and don't try to pursue the issue with them. Call back and ask for the general manager. You'll probably get a voicemail but try calling back in a few hours if you don't get a call back. Emphasize your previous stays in the message and if the first person you spoke to was rude enough to warrant mention of it , you can bring 2 issues to the GM, possibly making them more inclined to give you a break on 1 of the issues.
That being said , based on your first issue only, you're situation is an honest mistake and I'd imagine the GM of the hotel would have the authority and the inclination to rectify your problem. After all the hotel hasn't really lost anything after only 2 hours.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:54 pm
Suspended

I agree fully with tummy. Except that the OP didnt make a mistake when it was booked, but rather that the reason for having to go is no longer there.

Still thats why I think a 12 hour policy should be in place for either the Hotel or the Guest to beable to cancel a res without penalty. After the 12th hr both are stuck with the consequences, yea I know that might mean some of these .... will have an outreageous amount of booked nights, but if the hotel or SPG computers couldnt realize by then that something was wrong, too bad.
Old May 3, 2005, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tummy
Remind them of the Lanesborough.
..... where the rate (and rate details) don't mean a whole lot and unilateral right to claim "mistake"/"not what we intended" is established, right or wrong.
Old May 3, 2005, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA UGS, SPG Plat.
I really hope that the hotel/*wood changes its tune. If the Lanesborough situation is going to be dealt with in a certain way then (which I agree with), they should offer the same courtesy to us.
Old May 3, 2005, 5:26 pm
Suspended

"and ask them to forgive the cancel policy."

Do not ask them to forgive anything. If Starwood can do whatever they want, then so can you. Either they will cancel it, or dispute it with your credit card issuer.
Old May 3, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by FalseChecker
"and ask them to forgive the cancel policy."

Do not ask them to forgive anything. If Starwood can do whatever they want, then so can you. Either they will cancel it, or dispute it with your credit card issuer.
I wouldn't recommend taking this approach. When I have made mistakes like this, called and explained the situation reasonably, I have found the people on the other end of the line to be reasonable, escalating as necessary up the chain of command.

Regarding disputing the charge, I'm not familiar with Mastercard or Discover's policy, but with Visa and AMEX, I believe that they will take the position that Starwood has their Terms and Conditions posted, you gave them your name, address, credit card number and expiration date, you cancel, you pay... but YMMV.
Old May 3, 2005, 6:41 pm
Suspended

People there is difference here between what the OP did and what The Lanesbough did. The OP didnt make a MISTAKE he booked what he needed to and wanted. The Lanesbough made a mistake with putting up the wrong rate that was a MISTAKE. If you cant tell the difference I feel sorry for ya.

That said since Sheraton Suites in Alex has nothing to do with The Lanesbough in London, dont take the attitude ( of which they arent 100% wrong in their actions) out on any other Hotel. Take it out on *Woods. Not all *Woods Hotels are owned by *Woods.

I was in the same situation in the past & with a very calm phone call to a Sheraton that I had Never stayed at before, over 2 months after I had made the non-cancelable res, they cancelled the res and refuded 100% of the $$$. true although the res was over 2 months old, the hotel had only charged my CC the day before my call. Non the less they were kind to have done it, and next time Ill need a hotel in that part of the World Ill go to them 1st.

So Im sure if the OP calls and he wrote he has stayed there before, Im sure when they see the times he booked and the reason he does not need it any longer. Im sure this Hotel will release him. (Ive stayed there B4 myself and its a very nice Hotel).
Old May 3, 2005, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by craz
People there is difference here between what the OP did and what The Lanesbough did. The OP didnt make a MISTAKE he booked what he needed to and wanted. The Lanesbough made a mistake with putting up the wrong rate that was a MISTAKE. If you cant tell the difference I feel sorry for ya.

That said since Sheraton Suites in Alex has nothing to do with The Lanesbough in London, dont take the attitude ( of which they arent 100% wrong in their actions) out on any other Hotel. Take it out on *Woods. Not all *Woods Hotels are owned by *Woods...
Sorry about my comment earlier. I'm just bitter, especially with SPG winning so many freddie awards.
Old May 4, 2005, 4:15 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
The problem, as I see it, is the obscure way the *wood site doesn't give a confirmation screen that clearly states this is a NON REFUNDABLE rate until AFTER you confirm it.

For these "special" rates it requires clicking on a link to see the terms. I, for one, would be VERY grateful to have this fixed, so it is clear before one reserves what the terms are - I can't remember any other sites where I have not been prompted with the terms before I completed my reservation.
Old May 4, 2005, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
The problem, as I see it, is the obscure way the *wood site doesn't give a confirmation screen that clearly states this is a NON REFUNDABLE rate until AFTER you confirm it.

For these "special" rates it requires clicking on a link to see the terms. I, for one, would be VERY grateful to have this fixed, so it is clear before one reserves what the terms are - I can't remember any other sites where I have not been prompted with the terms before I completed my reservation.
KLM.COM specializes in this
Old May 4, 2005, 4:32 am

Can you go on a different date? I did this once through after buying a Marriott room at an "Expedia Special Rate". I mistakenly made the reservation for one day earlier than I needed it. I immediately called Expedia and they were no help.

I then called the Marriott directly and they changed the rez to the next day. This was three years ago when hotels were desperate for business. They may not care with today's high occupancy levels.

Good Luck.
Old May 4, 2005, 4:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum HH Gold
I made this mistake with the Pulitzer once.

I emailed the hotel directly, told them of my mistake and asked if I could change the date of the reservation. They replied and complied immediately.

If you tell them that your trip was cancelled, and that the next time you are in DC you will stay there, I think you might get a good result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.