Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hot off the presses -- $100MM New WESTIN Hotel planned for Portland Maine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot off the presses -- $100MM New WESTIN Hotel planned for Portland Maine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Post Hot off the presses -- $100MM New WESTIN Hotel planned for Portland Maine

Read all about it -- here: http://business.mainetoday.com/newsd....html?id=1672#

Essentially, plans were announced today for the model that we're seeing a lot of very quickly these days with *wood --- that being half condos half lodging under various *wood banners, in this case, Westin.

Hotel is proposed to be about a block from the waterfront and would be mere steps from the new International Cruise Ship terminal that is also in final design stages as I type this. Portland's a happening little town!
Old Apr 7, 2005, 6:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

It will be nice to have an additional choice to the Hilton Garden Inn, right on the waterfront. The HGI is the only decent property at the water at the moment. And yes, Portland is a charming town.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 6:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
What a welcome addition to Portland. Excellent news!
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:05 pm

Location: MEM -- ex-DL PLT, then NW PLT by choice, now DL again.
This is fantastic news! I'll now be enjoying my Heavenly Bed all morning, eating Amato's Italians for lunch, and at Fore Street for dinner. I won't even have to visit with family now when I go home!
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
a short stumble from Gritty McDuffs
Old Apr 8, 2005, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I like the last two posts! Just Wednesday night, I had a few at Gritty's and then stumbled down to Fore Street with some colleauges for dinner! I'm lucky enough to live here!!!
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme
I like the last two posts! Just Wednesday night, I had a few at Gritty's and then stumbled down to Fore Street with some colleauges for dinner! I'm lucky enough to live here!!!
I'm lucky enough to have grown up here. Visiting now and saw this update in a local freebie:

http://www.theforecaster.net/story.php?storyid=2890

Westin developer seeks to go taller
By Kate Bucklin
PORTLAND – The group proposing to build a Westin hotel and luxury condominiums near the eastern waterfront are asking for some leniency in height and setback restrictions, and may get them in return for public access to the property.
The council could consider PME’s conditional rezoning request by the end of the summer.

Also in maine news- a freeport company is going to start distilling potato vodka: http://www.theforecaster.net/story.php?storyid=2918

Last edited by landspeed; Jun 19, 2005 at 7:13 pm
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:21 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
a short stumble from Gritty McDuffs
I can't wait. I had a long stumble from Gritty McDuff's to the Holiday Inn in 1993 St. Patrick's day. Ms. satori and I got hammered there while the band played on. We exited Gritty's after a good 6 hours and a foot of new snow had fallen. And we kept fallen' and fallen' all the way back to the hotel.

I am older and more restrained now (most of the time) and I would love to go hang out in Portland again at a new Westin. Those airport and Maine mall hotels are just too far from the happening part of town.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:03 am

Westin hotel, condos win board's support
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/ne...11westin.shtml

An excerpt:

Overall, planners praised the Westin proposal for its appearance, attention to detail, compatibility with the neighborhood and preservation of pedestrian access and waterfront views.

"It's ambitious and really a pretty great start to our waterfront development," said Leslie Lowry III, Planning Board chairman.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:58 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Just returned from a business trip to Portland/Saco area - first to the area. Beautiful area, indeed! :-:
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:55 pm

portland

Portland is a great town. Lived there 15 years, and still stay there often passing through or up from Boston. The one thing that sucks is, if I'm not staying with friends, the only SPG choice is the Sheraton near the airport and it's a mediocre hotel .. at best.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:09 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Is the sheraton really that bad ?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by couscous
Is the sheraton really that bad ?
The hotel rooms aren't bad --- the core issue with this Sheraton is that its physical plant is so terribly dated. Frankly, this is one of those bad mistakes from the 1970s .... these hotels are those awful round towers that look like monstrous UFOs -- this hotel is two adjacent towers.

That means, of course, that the rooms are large wedge shaped rooms. This makes for decent living space in the bedroom, but terribly tiny bathrooms (since they comprise the point of the wedge!).

The rooms are Starwood updated (SS bed, new carpeting/soft goods, limestone bathrooms, etc) about 2 years back. It's just the lobby and the parking and the exterior of the place that is lacking.

Sadly, without really imploding the place, there's not too much that will fix this issue.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:23 am

Plans for hotel, condos scaled back

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/ne...10westin.shtml

Plans for a $110 million Westin hotel/condominium complex on the site of the shuttered Jordan's Meats plant in Portland are being scaled back, according to the Rhode Island firm that is leading the development.

The plan had included a 230-room hotel, 92 luxury condominiums, an estimated 20,000 square feet of retail space and hundreds of underground parking spaces.

The Procaccianti Group is now looking at a "significantly" smaller number of condo units, Tom Niles, executive vice president of development, said Wednesday. The number of hotel rooms will also be reduced, but Niles wouldn't give specific numbers for the condo or hotel side of the development.
Niles said that, because sales of the luxury condos would help underwrite the hotel construction, scaling back on one end results in corresponding cuts to the other. "They have to work in unison." Ground-floor retail is still part of the plan, and office space may be included in the project as well.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:59 pm

Jordan's Meats plant, vacant for years, to be sold

The buyer's name and plans for the site, where a hotel and condominium project was once proposed, are not disclosed
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/st...95755&ac=PHnws

"Its current owner, the Procaccianti Group of Cranston, R.I., planned to build a Westin Hotel and 97 luxury condos on the site, but never moved ahead with the development after getting city approval."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.