Wiki Posts
Search

Explanation of Internet-Only Rates Please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No More Loyalty
Explanation of Internet-Only Rates Please

Perhaps those of you with experience with "Internet-Only" rates can provide some guidance.

I would like to reserve the Aladdin Las Vegas through the Starwood site. I have always avoided pre-pay rates with their punitive cancellation policies, and I am willing to pay a small premium for a "normal" reservation. However, the best available rate is nearly double the Internet-only rate ($169 a night vs. $89 a night).

- Is this astonishing surcharge for a regular, refundable reservation normal for the Aladdin? The delta for the Westin Casuarina is just $5 a night.

- Can someone explain the cancellation terms on Internet-only rates? Here's what the web site says (grammatical errors and all) under Cancellation Policy: "Non-Refundable Deposit- Too Late To Cancel A 1 Night Penalty Is Applied. Cancel Before 4 Pm Hotel Time To Avoid 100 Percent Penalty." I get the fact that you have to cancel 72 hours prior to avoid a 100% penalty, but what in the world does the first part mean?

I decided to check the Aladdin web site directly, and a normal reservation (you can cancel up to 48 hours prior) is available for $89 a night. Of course, booking direct from them doesn't earn SPG credit (I assume), and I know from first-hand experience that SPG will deny a BRG claim in this instance because the cancellation policies are different. (Even though SPG has a worse policy.)
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:22 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
If you make a multi-night reservation, you will automatically lose the first night the moment you try to cancel. You lose the rest of your fee if cancel less than 72 hours.

If you are only staying one night, you lose the entire amount of your reservation if you cancel.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sirecca
. . . I decided to check the Aladdin web site directly, and a normal reservation (you can cancel up to 48 hours prior) is available for $89 a night. Of course, booking direct from them doesn't earn SPG credit (I assume). . .
Starwood Lurker, can you clarify if this is true? Booking direct with the hotel's web site makes you ineligible for SPG stay credits? What about elite benefits?

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:48 pm

That dramatic price difference is unusual. All the properties I frequent don't differ much in price ($10-$15) between best-available and internet-only rates...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.