Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Need help with a sold out resort night. Sheraton Bal Harbour

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2005, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Little of this, a little of that,..

Sheraton Bal Harbour Sat Feb 19. The weekend of the Miami International Boat Show (which is why we are going). The resort is sold out and I can not make a reservation for Saturday. We have a reservation for Thursday and Friday but can NOT get Saturday no matter what we do. According to the Platinum desk the 72 hour guarantee does not apply to resort properties. I am willing to pay rack rate or whatever they want to charge for that night as long as I can get a reservation.

Unfortunately there is no waiting list for that property so even if an opening becomes available I can not snag it unless by luck. I have resorted to calling daily to check availability. ANY ideas or inputs would be GREATLY helpful!

Has anyone had any luck forcing a reservation into a resort?
Old Feb 8, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by 1993gt40
Sheraton Bal Harbour Sat Feb 19. The weekend of the Miami International Boat Show (which is why we are going). The resort is sold out and I can not make a reservation for Saturday. We have a reservation for Thursday and Friday but can NOT get Saturday no matter what we do. According to the Platinum desk the 72 hour guarantee does not apply to resort properties. I am willing to pay rack rate or whatever they want to charge for that night as long as I can get a reservation.

Unfortunately there is no waiting list for that property so even if an opening becomes available I can not snag it unless by luck. I have resorted to calling daily to check availability. ANY ideas or inputs would be GREATLY helpful!

Has anyone had any luck forcing a reservation into a resort?
I think that you're SOL on this one unless you can find a friend that is good friends with the GM or a very good guest of the hotel. The SPG Terms and Conditions are clear on this one:

"Guaranteed availability will not apply at resorts or other select properties or during publicly recognized events. When using this benefit, the upgrade benefit does not apply."
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigjim
I think that you're SOL on this one unless you can find a friend that is good friends with the GM or a very good guest of the hotel. The SPG Terms and Conditions are clear on this one:

"Guaranteed availability will not apply at resorts or other select properties or during publicly recognized events. When using this benefit, the upgrade benefit does not apply."
Yes, I figure that it is going to be tough but I remain optimistic still. Hopefully someone can pull some strings or something for me!!
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Yes, I figure that it is going to be tough but I remain optimistic still. Hopefully someone can pull some strings or something for me!!
Have you all been particularly loyal to any particular hotel? They might be able to pull a string for you.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Have you all been particularly loyal to any particular hotel? They might be able to pull a string for you.
Not in that area.

As far as other Starwoods go; Unfortunately I am only particularly loyal to a 4 Points right now (where I have not met the GM yet).
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:36 pm

I would've thought with Platinum status that you folks might have established relationships with some of the SPG hotels. I've had really good luck when calling about the extremely rare favor from the GMs of a couple of hotels that I frequent on a regular basis.

I'm outta suggestions - maybe someone else can offer some ideas. I'm assuming that you've tried the other hotels in the area and a good travel agent?
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

I would've thought with Platinum status that you folks might have established relationships with some of the SPG hotels. I've had really good luck when calling about the extremely rare favor from the GMs of a couple of hotels that I frequent on a regular basis.

I'm outta suggestions - maybe someone else can offer some ideas. I'm assuming that you've tried the other hotels in the area and a good travel agent?
Well, between the 2 of us we probably have nearly 300 nights in *woods last year. Unfortunately we can not combind that into some sort of Uber status.

Someone has their mind SET on THAT hotel and *I* am SET on the boat show (it was a trade of sorts ). So the Venue and the Date are fixed. Now I just need to make it happen. ANYTHING will help. I will talk to the GM at my current home and see what comes of it.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Unless theres a cancellation it aint gonna happen. Go North my man Go North= Westin Diplomat its maybe tops 15 mins up the same road that Bal Harbour is on.

Even if there wasnt a Boat Show most hotels sell out on Weekends during Jan/Feb. That includes the likes of the Marriott Fairfield Inn down on 41st

Last edited by craz; Feb 8, 2005 at 10:31 pm
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Unless theres a cancellation it aint gonna happen. Go North my man Go North= Westin Diplomat its maybe tops 15 mins up the same road that Bal Harbour is on.

Even if there wasnt a Boat Show most hotels sell out on Weekends during Jan/Feb. That includes the likes of the Marriott Fairfield Inn down on 41st
No idea where 41'st is but I do know my boat was built on 188'th street . Which in itself is a story. Used to be raced by Don Aronow in the late 70's, then it is said my hull ran drugs in the 80's. I digress,.

Does anyone know what would happen if we just never checked out? Rumor has it we would be charged whatever the rate for that date would be. I have my reservations but just a suggestion that came to me from random ends.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:26 pm

Programs: CO; HH; HZ
Miami Boat show is The Biggest, Best Boat Show on the planet, always held this time of year (when many are shoveling snow). It's also President's Weekend, and the start of Spring Break for many schools (all levels).

Very doubtful that a GM or VP will consider such a late request, such as yours, to decline high-revenue guests. (I'll guess Vegas said "no" also?)

For the future:

*Book now for the 2006 and 2007 shows
*This is an established "Chamber of Commerce" show purposely planned for February
*You will not be the 1st human sent to the Dog House for being unable to make something like this happen last minute
*If you get the free hotel first, try and find free air tickets / if you get the free air first, try and find free hotel stays - no luck?
*Peak Season happens because of demand
*None of this was invented today or yesterday, or whenever that 4th martini enabled you to walk on water...

FWIW, I know the ex-DOSM at Sheraton Bal Harbor.

Wishing you well, and happy travels! ^

Good luck!
Jack
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:45 pm

Programs: CO; HH; HZ
Does anyone know what would happen if we just never checked out? Rumor has it we would be charged whatever the rate for that date would be. I have my reservations but just a suggestion that came to me from random ends.
Legally, you can not be "removed", as long as the additional room charges, taxes, services and "incidentals" are covered/charged to your credit card. But if you leave your room to visit the show, good luck getting back in to retrieve your possessions, as they are now evidence against you. You did sign an agreement when you checked-in, confirming you would leave the hotel, on xx/xx/xxxx date @ check-out by 11:00 AM.

Again, good luck and happy travels!
Jack
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Sorry I take what I said back. Seems even the Diplomat with 998 rooms is also Sold Out as are most of the SPG props, including The Sheraton at FFL Airport and The Westin FFL. All that is decent and available is The Sheraton Suites Plantation appox 45 mins to Bal Harbor if you know the way and theres no traffic (right).

A side note Id imagine that All sold out hotels are claiming "Special Event" which means No Platinum OverRides at all.

Seems you are up the creek without a paddle. I guess your plan just to stay might be the best, I would have a back-up res somewhere that I can cancel on day of arrival if you can find such a thing. Just in case you have to Exit Stage Left. I know there are States that cant force you to leave if you want to stay, dont know about FL. Also the rate should be the same as you were paying till then. Happened to a friend last yr at a Hilton they were just gonna stay, turned out as they were checking in someone had called and cancelled so I dont know how that would have played out, it was in NY.

I wish you the Best of Luck
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:51 pm
Pam

Sheraton Suites Plantation is a really nice place to stay, and it wouldn't be all that difficult to get to Bal Harbour from there.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:18 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Hilton Miami airport is available on points.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by Pam
Sheraton Suites Plantation is a really nice place to stay, and it wouldn't be all that difficult to get to Bal Harbour from there.

You might want to try the Sheraton Key Largo. It's about as far south of Miami as FLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.