Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Schipol poor broadband access

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Sheraton Schipol poor broadband access

For those of us who choose a hotel and connectivity is a key issue, beware of this hotel. It's a nice facility, but the broadband is wireless only -- just an expanded t-mobile hotspot.

So not only do many room have poor coverage (or none at all) the service is itself spotty at best. I'm sitting in the atrium right now and have had the coverage just drop out several times.

Given that I use my wireless continuously at many, many places, I am disinclined to blame my laptop -- especially when my co-worker's exhbits identical behaviour.

Steve
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:11 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Yeah the Pulitzer has the same problem. Some rooms the wireless just doesn't even work. It's also 24 E a day, which is around $32 per day. Even if you do get good reception, you still get an awful service to North American data routes.

This would not fly in America. Even some Westins are down to $10 a day for internet. $32 a day for bad internet is just abusive.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:01 am

Agreed. I had to maneuver around in my room a great deal to even get a "good" - green bar connection. Most of the time i was operating in yellow and it would die. Maybe it has to do with the soundproofing?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sucks!

Similar problems in the other hotels too. I prefer the internet cafes for ease, cost and speed. There are 3 nice clean fast ones at www.easyinternetcafe.com in Amsterdam. Plenty of independents too but usually slower and pricier.

MisterNice
Old Nov 25, 2005, 8:15 pm
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
One year later ... still bad

I love the Sheraton at Schipol, but here I am sitting in the bar area because I can not get a steady signal in my 7th floor room.

Seriously, this is a great business hotel. The staff is wonderful, elite status actually means something (not that they were any less attentive when I was not ..) and the price is fantastic.

I just would like to use the BBAND in my room and not in the lobby.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 9:43 pm

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
Agreed

Was there last Saturday night, and internet access was more or less non-existent. Didn't bother me that much as I was trying to avoid working anyway.

A pet peeve was the 'executive rewards' (or whatever it was called) program they had where you could use your *points for various upgrades/services/products. They should have pointed the options out during checkin, 'cause I didn't look at the card until I was checking out. I would have dropped a few extra starpoints for an upgraded room

The other pet peeve i had was that at least one of the elevators needed resurfacing on the floor. I almost slipped twice in one of those

On the plus side, checkin was a breeze, staff were incredibly friendly, room was spacious and hotel was convenient to the airport.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
I haven't been back, but I suspect the best wireless is going to be the closest to the elevators. That 'backbone' is probably where the access points are.

My trouble was, being nicely upgraded to a suite with a beautiful view of Schipol airport, I was as far away from the 'backbone' as possible.

Steve
Old Nov 26, 2005, 7:11 pm

I used the Internet in the lounge and found it quite satisfactory. Hardly anybody was there during my stay so had good access. The recognition as Platinum was excellent but the Instant awards was atrocious-- eg 4500 points for a buffet lunch or dinner which was about 35 Euros.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.